Author Topic: Computer rec for elderly parents (possible Xmas gift)  (Read 5172 times)

LadyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Computer rec for elderly parents (possible Xmas gift)
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
My parents are in the market for a computer after their old one pooped out on them. My mom wants something that "won't take up much room" (likely a laptop) and my dad wants a screen big enough that he can see (no tablet or tiny laptop!). They use a computer to go online almost exclusively.

Since they're such great parents and have given me plenty (love, encouragement, my fancy learnin', etc.), I'm toying with the idea of getting them this computer for Xmas (I'd be on the hook for picking it out and setting it up anyway). Do any of you have a recommendation for a computer that won't smash my stash and fits the bill? Something in the $450ish range wouldn't make me cry.

Thanks so much!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Computer rec for elderly parents (possible Xmas gift)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
One possibility, if they don't need mobility, would be an "all in one".  You get the bigger screen and full size keyboard, but no tower taking up space.

Just going online doesn't take much computer power, so there are some available for <$400.

eta:  personally, I find a laptop's low screen, even on a desk, makes it harder to see, and the cramped keyboard doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:07:05 PM by geekette »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
My parents are in the market for a computer after their old one pooped out on them. My mom wants something that "won't take up much room" (likely a laptop) and my dad wants a screen big enough that he can see (no tablet or tiny laptop!). They use a computer to go online almost exclusively.

Since they're such great parents and have given me plenty (love, encouragement, my fancy learnin', etc.), I'm toying with the idea of getting them this computer for Xmas (I'd be on the hook for picking it out and setting it up anyway). Do any of you have a recommendation for a computer that won't smash my stash and fits the bill? Something in the $450ish range wouldn't make me cry.

Thanks so much!

Have you considered getting them a Chromebook? Or will they need something they are absolutely familiar with (Windows) with Microsoft Office, etc?

A Chromebook and nice HDMI monitor (for output) might fit the bill here if they don't need anything fancy and exclusively the web browser 99.9% of the time. 

shitzmagee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
+1 for a Chromebook. They are excellent for those that only use a computer for casual internet surfing. And the $200-$300 price tag doesn't hurt either.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 07:00:40 PM »
My mother wanted a laptop, but I suggested she get an all-in-one because she has a bad back, and has had carpel tunnel syndrome. I think most elderly people would be better off with an all-in-one because of the better ergonomics and the fact that the older we are, the more we are likely to develop these sorts of problems.

In Australia, Aldi regularly have good deals on computers as part of their special buys. Don't know about US though.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:00:22 AM »
Go Mac. You will do less over the phone tech support. Get a mini (maybe last version with the faster CPU) and a screen, not an iMac.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:50:59 AM »
I also recommend a Mac Mini, allowing them to use their existing display, keyboard, mouse, & printer. Unlike an all-in-one or laptop, individual components can be replaced inexpensively if they die.

For web browsing, ebooks, & limited messaging, the elderly do very well with a tablet like the iPad that allows them to zoom text to whatever size works for them, plus its touch surface is more intuitive to operate than using a mouse. An iPad no longer requires a computer for setup & backup.

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
You said no tablets but it sure sounds like an iPad would be ideal. Ultimate portability, zero support, great for Internet, can't screw it up.

There are lots of accessibility options for both vision, hearing and physical impairments.

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
HP still carries Windows 7 laptops.  I only mention this because my in-laws neglected my advice and are now stuck in Windows 8 hell (their words).  If your folks were using an actual PC with an older version of Windows, this may be the best route for them.  HP usually has many great sales as well and I think their support is pretty awesome. 

If they are tech savvy, then there are numerous options out there under $500.  Just stay away from crappy Celerons :)

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »
I think I saw the Chrome Box (desktop version of a chrome book) on sale somewhere for $129 this week.

Ahh, yes, here it is!!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1403471/

Pick up a cheap monitor to go with it on Black Friday and you're good to go!

Edit: Rats, the price went back up on the blue one but the white one is still on sale for $137.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:04:24 AM by mlipps »

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
Here's an all-in-one desktop / chromebook combination that sounds perfect for your situation. It's super-simple and fast, ideal for web browsing, and has a screen that should suit your father nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-ChromeBase-22CV241-W-22-Inch-Desktop/dp/B00JR625WO

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
I would get:
iPad + Apple TV (for viewing on whatever TV or device you want) + wireless keyboard.

$400 + $99 +$69

I love the combo especially when I'm trying to show something to someone.  Anything on my computer or tablet or even smartphone can be shown on my big screen TV.  It's ridiculously easy.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
Do your research but also try Craigslist for an all-in-one.  Great specs, especially since they're not likely 3d modeling, compactish, attractive package, and perfect for the older set. Just one set of cables.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
My wife loves her LG Chromebase.