Author Topic: Computer Questions : Upgrade or new? Mac vs PC?  (Read 24261 times)

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
Re: Computer Questions : Upgrade or new? Mac vs PC?
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 05:56:31 AM »
To me, it boils down to what you use your computer for. I got a new $2k Macbook Pro and upgraded it to 16GB of RAM. Cheap, no, but I do web design, iPhone apps, Java programming and run it as a serve scraping stock market data. I use it a lot and get good mileage out of it. I did a cost/benefit analysis and decided to go for it.

If you want a Mac with Yosemite and don't need a laptop, take a look at the Mac mini. (http://store.apple.com/us/mac) You're looking at a powerful little Apple machine at less than half the cost of a laptop.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »
Outside of a handful of critical holes, it's not gotten much attention since October 2012. The last OS level security patch given for 10.7.5 was the 2014-004 pack from September 17th of this year, and one's been released since (2014-005) that dropped minimum OS support to 10.8.5, the first time it's been excluded since release. I'm not anticipating Apple to release any more patches from this point forward, as it's officially three major releases behind at this point. Point of entropy is only going to accelerate from here, even if security abandonment is very recent (though it was a bit selective in its application the past year and change).

Thank you for posting this!  I had no idea that this was a problem, and was naively proud of how long our late 2006 iMac had lasted.  We have just upgraded to a newer iMac (admittedly not mustachian, but I'm choosing my battles) so now we get OS updates again, but it does limit our options for reusing the old computer.  I already have ubuntu dual-booting on a cheap windows laptop with an external monitor, so maybe I'll try putting ubuntu on the old iMac if I find some time.

gorion83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2014, 04:40:21 AM »
Thread is TLDR;

Mac will cost you $$$$. Think several times the cost of a PC. My GF has a MacBook that was $1400.
My PC was $400.  Mine is aging worse (I'm not as careful.)  They are both the same age. I may replace mine soon, but I could do so THREE TIMES before the costs are the same.

I would recommend you simply tune up the one you have. Get Google Chrome let it auto update. Uninstall spamware and your existing Mac will keep chugging.

To be fair, you really cannot compare a $1400 MacBook with a $400 laptop.
Screen quality is very different, let alone hardware capabilities.

Now, not everyone needs a $1400 Macbook, but a fair comparison would probably be with a $1000-$1100 windows machine.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
Now, not everyone needs a $1400 Macbook, but a fair comparison would probably be with a $1000-$1100 windows machine.
Yep, I agree, it's really about nailing down your requirements as a user and then seeking out the most cost-effective option to meet those needs.  I do think that the OP's usage is "light" and mostly browser-ish based on the description as opposed to an IT professional/programmer or producer of media (graphics/audio) which would warrant a fancier 1Kish machine.  My mom, for example, does nothing but websurf/email and needed a new computer this year, and so I bought her a $150 chromebook.  Mom=thrilled.  Major upgrade accomplished on the cheap.

It's also time to trot out this MMM classic:  Cure Yourself of Tiny Details Exaggeration Syndrome.

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
The cheapest place I've found to get a new Mac is through Macmall. If you go through appleinsider you get an additional 3% off and no tax. There is a macbook air 13 inch with 128gb ssd and 4gb ram for $875 right now.

I don't know if it's cheaper than MacMall, but Apple sells "refurbished" laptops at  discount

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

The thing is refurbished may very well mean that someone took it home, opened it up and decided they wanted a different version, so you could be getting a brand new computer.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2014, 11:57:40 PM »
Thread is TLDR;

Mac will cost you $$$$. Think several times the cost of a PC. My GF has a MacBook that was $1400.
My PC was $400.  Mine is aging worse (I'm not as careful.)  They are both the same age. I may replace mine soon, but I could do so THREE TIMES before the costs are the same.

I would recommend you simply tune up the one you have. Get Google Chrome let it auto update. Uninstall spamware and your existing Mac will keep chugging.

To be fair, you really cannot compare a $1400 MacBook with a $400 laptop.
Screen quality is very different, let alone hardware capabilities.

Right, but that was exactly the point. 99% of people don't need a powerful computer.  I'm a software engineer and am thinking about getting a chrome book for personal use. Web browsing and photo editing can all be done for less than $500. Or less if tuning up an older PC you already own.