Author Topic: Computer chair  (Read 3914 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Computer chair
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Since I'm semi-retired (part time & a side gig since Feb), I spend a LOT more time at my computer, which means a lot more time on my computer chair.
The cushion just isn't comfortable for hours (and hours...)   I bought a replacement cushion, it was better, but not enough.  I bought a gel cushion - still not good enough.
So I'm conceding that I need a new chair.  I prefer a chair w/o arms (the chair I have came with arms, I took them off.  But some chair arms support the back or just can't be removed).
I see that chairs vary greatly in price.  I would prefer to pay more for a chair that will last, but still be mustachian.
Chair and source advice appreciated.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Computer chair
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
Comfort is very personal. The higher prices are often for configurability, not durability. For durability check if the stress points and see if they are flimsy plastic or metal(or strong plastic).
Best would be to get a chair with limited options that is still right for you. Mostly you will set it once and leave it like that anyway.

But no chair is good for sitting on for hours and hours. Better just move around sometimes.
As an alternative: http://kneelingchairhq.com/
One of my colleagues swears this helps him with long sitting. But it is very personal.

shorebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »

Have you considered a standing desk?  I got one about 6 months ago and absolutely love it.

405programmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »
A few years ago I bought a chair from office depot and also bought the extended warranty through them and it turned out to be very useful. The seat cushion broke down surprisingly fast and I was able to return the chair 18 months after purchase and got my full purchase price back (in store credit minus the 10-15 dollar warranty). If you really want to get a nice chair just get an Aeron. I think they're only $900 ;)

Currently I use this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/604924/WorkPro-1000-Series-Mid-Back-Mesh/ chair from office depot and I like how it's holding up but the arms may not be to your liking.

The chair I did not care for seemed awesome but the seat cushion was 90% defeated after 18 months. Here is the closest model I could find to that chair:
 http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/258143/Brenton-Studio-Rixie-Task-Chair-BlackWhite/

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:34:39 AM »
A few years ago I bought a chair from office depot and also bought the extended warranty through them and it turned out to be very useful. The seat cushion broke down surprisingly fast and I was able to return the chair 18 months after purchase and got my full purchase price back (in store credit minus the 10-15 dollar warranty). If you really want to get a nice chair just get an Aeron. I think they're only $900 ;)

Currently I use this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/604924/WorkPro-1000-Series-Mid-Back-Mesh/ chair from office depot and I like how it's holding up but the arms may not be to your liking.
Ah, those are nice. The springs are just right to give comfort and support. And especially in a bit warmer environments the open back is nice.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 07:48:42 AM »
If you really want to get a nice chair just get an Aeron. I think they're only $900 ;)

Yup. I started having ergonomic issues a couple decades ago due all my computer work. Got 2 Aeron chairs on a student discount [~$600USD] and have never looked back. Keep one at home and one at my main client's office. I lent the 2nd one to my GF when I was only working at home then took it away when I had to work at a client's office a bunch. She was not happy.

The cost of those chairs amortized over all the years I've used them has been quite reasonable and neither is even remotely close to worn out. I expect I'll never be buying another office chair again.

Most importantly I can dial in my seating and arm position well enough that I have not had any issues since getting them.

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »
I always buy office chairs from office surplus stores. Usually offices spend big bucks on nice chairs and replace them every 5 or 10 years. These are quality chairs so they're still in good condition when sold. I haven't spent more than $10.

Alternatively, I also have an IKEA standing desk that removes the need for a chair. It has the added benefit of providing a disincentive for spending many hours at a computer.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
The Aeron chair is the only chair that I found to be totally comfortable for extended periods of time.  But it is expensive.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
I always buy office chairs from office surplus stores. Usually offices spend big bucks on nice chairs and replace them every 5 or 10 years. These are quality chairs so they're still in good condition when sold. I haven't spent more than $10.
THANKS!
There are a few office surplus stores in the area, but I forgot all about them.  My locking, 4 drawer file cabinet is from one of them - I've had it so long that I forgot where it was from.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:00:33 AM »
Comfort is very personal. The higher prices are often for configurability, not durability. For durability check if the stress points and see if they are flimsy plastic or metal(or strong plastic).
Best would be to get a chair with limited options that is still right for you. Mostly you will set it once and leave it like that anyway.

But no chair is good for sitting on for hours and hours. Better just move around sometimes.
As an alternative: http://kneelingchairhq.com/
One of my colleagues swears this helps him with long sitting. But it is very personal.

I have a kneeling chair, I can use it for 2 hours at a time before my shins ache a bit, then I shift position, or change to a different chair, or go do some dishes, or something.   I do recommend the kneeling chair (I got a cheap one from staples).

Apeshifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 05:20:52 AM »
I'd recommend looking into the chair offerings from Herman Miller:  http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs.html

I considered an Aeron chair, but actually found the plastic seat front (scoop bit??) to be really uncomfortable on my legs. The rest of the chair was great, fortunately the office supply place that had the Aeron also had a bunch of other chairs to "Test Sit" so I eventually tried the Embody chair.. and haven't looked back!

FYI: I'm not sure if the arms can be taken off it (haven't bothered considering doing that since I like them) but they can be raised and lowered very easily such that they're out of the way and provide an effectively "armless" experience.

I'm now going on 8+ years and the chair is holding up very well (the mesh fabric stuff is designed to be replaced when it wears out and I haven't had to do that yet) and the chair is still exceedingly comfortable and sturdy.

Its certainly a spendy thing but so far I'm thinking its on track as a "buy it for life" type of item. From my experience its cost versus return on "seated comfort and happiness" has been outstanding.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:22:36 AM by Apeshifter »