Author Topic: Compressed Work Week  (Read 1624 times)

yow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Compressed Work Week
« on: March 31, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
Hi All,

I have the opportunity to move to a compressed work week with my employer whereby I would work 4 x 10 hours instead of the regular 5 x 8 hours.

I would like to use the extra day to start working on other potential opportunities that present themselves, though I have to admit I don't know what those are yet. I feel like I would be able to have more time finding them with the extra day available to me though.

My question is; For those of you that tried the compressed work week, did you like it? Was it worth it?

Although i'm still expected to work less hours I feel like this could be the beginning of a gradual downshift over time for me personally.

utaca

• Stubble
Re: Compressed Work Week
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
I worked a compressed work work doing maintenance work as a summer job while I was in school. I hardly noticed the extra two hours; I could do errands on Friday and have a full weekend for fun; I saved a day of commuting time. It was great.

Now, I usually work 9-10 hours M-F plus a half day on the weekend... so a compressed work week looks like the pinnacle of luxury!

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
4x8 =/= 50?

That and the optics of not being at your desk when the boss needs you.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
4x8 =/= 50?

OP's math checks out - he's sticking at 40 hours, but going from 5x8 to 4x10.

I would say it totally depends on your work and your home situations. I've had the opportunity to do 4 10's for the last 4 years but really I hardly take advantage of it. Part of it is my work (Analytical lab - can't always guarantee that I won't have to do something on an off day) and the other part is my family. While I'd love a 3 day weekend, I think my wife would definitely feel the pain of losing an hour of me being home at the most trying time of the day (kids & long days = worn out parents in the evening).

I have a few coworkers who have been doing this for as long as it's been available and it's never caused an issue. Management across the company (at least at this point) is super okay with all sorts of weird work schedules, and we haven't suffered in productivity one bit. In my group of 11 alone, we have 4 different workdays - one person is here 6-2:30, a bunch of us are 7-3:30, one is 8-4:30 and one other person is usually 8:30-5.

I think the days of worrying what the boss thinks need to go away.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
4x8 =/= 50?

OP's math checks out - he's sticking at 40 hours, but going from 5x8 to 4x10.

Yeah, I just meant that as tongue-in-cheek where most days I work ~10 hours. We are scheduled for 45 but our plan doesn't include admin work.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
Going to a 4x8 schedule is far more enjoyable.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
I do something in between. Each 2 week pay period I work 8 9 hour days and 1 8 hour day, so I still put in 80 hours per pay period and I get every other Friday off. I really like it.

Edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:18:41 AM by economista »

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
I do something in between. Each 20 week pay period I work 8 9 hour days and 1 8 hour day, so I still put in 80 hours per pay period and I get every other Friday off. I really like it.
I've got the same schedule and it has been good. Scheduling appointments and other things on that day off works out great since I don't have to use my leave.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 06:48:34 AM »
I worked a 4x10 week for a year, and I loved it. Having three-day weekends was the best.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
I used to have a 4x10 schedule and loved it. Something to watch out for though is that on the days you work, you don't have time for much else. So if that isn't for you and doesn't fit your personality, by day 4 it can feel like a total drag. If you can handle that, then having a 3-day weekend can be awesome. More opportunity for trips, appointments, errands, etc.