Author Topic: Company Pension - Can I rollover to IRA with no penalty?  (Read 1605 times)

rujancified

• Stubble
Company Pension - Can I rollover to IRA with no penalty?
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:37 AM »
Tried to search for this topic, but MMM forum search seems to be a bit wonky (for me at least)...

I have a pension and 401k at my former company. I left the company in 2015. To the extent possible, I would like to centralize my retirement accounts. To that end, I am migrating my 401k from that job (probably to Vanguard, with an outside chance it will go to BoA/ML). Can I also roll over the pension account to the new IRA? Will there be any penalties/taxes associated?

I am 38.

TIA, Mustachians - Y'all are so much better than google :)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Company Pension - Can I rollover to IRA with no penalty?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
Tried to search for this topic, but MMM forum search seems to be a bit wonky (for me at least)...

I have a pension and 401k at my former company. I left the company in 2015. To the extent possible, I would like to centralize my retirement accounts. To that end, I am migrating my 401k from that job (probably to Vanguard, with an outside chance it will go to BoA/ML). Can I also roll over the pension account to the new IRA? Will there be any penalties/taxes associated?

I am 38.

TIA, Mustachians - Y'all are so much better than google :)

That's something you'll need to investigate with your previous employer. Typically, you can take a lump sum and roll it into a qualified retirement plan without tax consequences. The lump sum may be less than "face value" of the account.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!