Author Topic: Company-locked cellphone: How to escape?  (Read 5817 times)

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
Company-locked cellphone: How to escape?
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
I don't know anything about cellphones and I am with Virgin mobile. They are incompetent idiots and I want out but they sold me a phone which apparently they are the only carriers for ( The Samsung Galaxy Discover ). (I'm in Canada)

What do?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Company-locked cellphone: How to escape?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
I don't know anything about cellphones and I am with Virgin mobile. They are incompetent idiots and I want out but they sold me a phone which apparently they are the only carriers for ( The Samsung Galaxy Discover ). (I'm in Canada)

What do?

Are you in a Wind zone? If so, look into pay your way with them. You'd have to get a new phone.

Looks like it's expensive to unlock your phone (ebay "samsung galaxy discover virgin unlock"). But once unlocked, you can get a SIM from Petro Canada, 7-11, or whoever.

FYI Virgin Mobile is owned by Bell in Canada. So you could get a Bell prepaid or monthly plan and just put the SIM in.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »
Looks like it's expensive to unlock your phone (ebay "samsung galaxy discover virgin unlock"). But once unlocked, you can get a SIM from Petro Canada, 7-11, or whoever.

Does that allow me to keep the same number?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
You can always keep your number, just have to transfer it. It gets a little complicated if you're in a contract I think, but customer services from who you're going to will help. Don't cancel the old service until you've ported!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »
How to unlock your Phone.

Cheaper on Fleabay, though not much, sadly.. $50 is a f***ing joke here in Canada. The damn phone isn't worth much more!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
Cheaper on Fleabay, though not much, sadly.. $50 is a f***ing joke here in Canada. The damn phone isn't worth much more!

Only because of subsidies and the cost to unlock. It's artificially low. Even if it is $50 to unlock, it's the more socially and environmentally reasonable choice. Best not to add to the e-waste pile unless absolutely necessary.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

Only because of subsidies and the cost to unlock. It's artificially low. Even if it is $50 to unlock, it's the more socially and environmentally reasonable choice. Best not to add to the e-waste pile unless absolutely necessary.

What I am saying is that *fifty dollars* is not a reasonable price to pay to unlock a crappy phone. Even the thirty I found on eBay is not much better. The phones I have have been unlocked for $5 or so. My wife was offered a second hand Rogers iPhone 3, but again, the unlock fee is $50... which is a joke. There is no way it costs the phone company anything like $50, it is just a stupid regulation that states a company may charge up to $50.. guess what.. they all charge $50.

*edit* but if the OP likes their phone and just wants to get away from Virgin (who, AFAIK, are only as bad as every other company ;)) then sure - pay up, move on, ideally with a pay as you go service.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:04:46 AM by daverobev »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
I'm not disagreeing that it isn't an obscene price to unlock, but what I am saying is, is that unlocking is still the more responsible thing to do from an environmental and e-waste standpoint over just abandoning it and buying another phone. I'm also stating that the $50 unlock fee is artificially driving the retail prices lower as a carrier lock in subsidy, and that even a "crappy" phone should still cost more than it otherwise would because of it.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
Ok more questions...

Now if I unlock my phone, I still need to get a new Sim card, correct?
So I am in Canada, do you guys have any recommendations for universal SIM cards or SIM cards that work with cheap providers?

And would it then be possible to keep the same number or do I have to just say "fuck it" and bite the bullet now to save money long-term? I.e. if I buy a pre-paid card from say Petro Canada then do I have to ask them to transfer numbers? Arrrgh.

and that even a "crappy" phone should still cost more than it otherwise would because of it.

How much more... 5$? 50$?
lol
Old electronics are worth 1/10th-1/5th the price of new ones anyway. I would have definitely bought a used cellphone if I had known anything about it, but it's so complicated because each company tries to make it impossible for you to leave. Assholes. As if I won't use an "illegal" ( HAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ) service online to unlock my phone for free given the chance.

The very idea that the government would be corrupt enough to make it illegal for a user of something to do what they want with it is ridiculous. Why don't you make it illegal for all Wal-Mart knives to cut non-Wal-Mart carrots too? Idiots.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:41:29 PM by poxpower »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
Depends how much talking you do!

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/questions/138.aspx#portability

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/396.aspx

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/401.aspx

I'm not advocating P-C by the way, I use Wind and I roam all the time - but I use maybe 20 minutes a month!

IMHO Rogers and Bell are both pretty bad; Virgin as a Bell offshoot? My wife was with them *very* briefly but had no problems. Telus/Koodo are ok. Wind are ok. I mean - customer services is teeth-grinding on all of them. /shrug

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:36:22 PM »
I can't make any specific recommendations because the Canadian cellular market is so wonky with calling areas and coverage maps. Best I can do is link my master list of major Canadian MVNOs and recommend you look at your usage pattern and shop accordingly. If you want to cut costs further, you'll need to drag a VoIP line into the mess at home... read the superguide linked in my sigline, it'll help.

http://www.techmeshugana.com/2012/10/dial-c-for-canada-eh/