Author Topic: Commuter Skateboard Recommendation  (Read 2336 times)

brian313313

• Stubble
Commuter Skateboard Recommendation
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
I work 1.8 miles away and I'm thinking about just walking. I don't ride my bike in bad weather for a few reasons but mostly being cold & slippery in the rain. I also have to deal with taking it in the office. Nobody cares in my office but sometimes the elevator can be crowded in the morning. If I walk, I can keep warm and it's probably more exercise. The bike ride gets too cold with the wind-chill factor. To replace this, I may get a light-weight skateboard. Technically, they are not legal on the sidewalk or street but as long as you are being considerate, I've never heard of anyone getting stopped. The skateboard will also take less space in my condo.

Does anyone know anything about skateboards for commuting purposes? Looking for light-weight because I'll probably carry it home. It's downhill almost all the way to work but uphill on the way back.

Thanks.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: Commuter Skateboard Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »
oddly, I just bought a longboard. Not for commuting ( roads far to rough) but for fun. The Amazon reviews were full of people commuting on them.
I got this $50 'drop' longboard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J2WJX4A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would not hesitate to ride it 1.8 miles, that would be a blast.

Another option would be an 'adult' scooter, such as  the Razor A5
https://www.amazon.com/Razor-A5-Lux-Scooter-Red/dp/B001K3JUEI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515700144&sr=8-3&keywords=razor+a5+lux+scooter

^^ both badass choices. Good luck!

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:16 PM »
oddly, I just bought a longboard. Not for commuting ( roads far to rough) but for fun. The Amazon reviews were full of people commuting on them.
I got this $50 'drop' longboard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J2WJX4A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would not hesitate to ride it 1.8 miles, that would be a blast.

Another option would be an 'adult' scooter, such as  the Razor A5
https://www.amazon.com/Razor-A5-Lux-Scooter-Red/dp/B001K3JUEI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515700144&sr=8-3&keywords=razor+a5+lux+scooter

^^ both badass choices. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. How heavy is that longboard? I see the shipping weight is 9 lbs but that seems pretty heavy for a skateboard. I'm already carrying my laptop every day and don't want to carry too much. I have arthritis in my back so try to take it easy there.

zoltani

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
I like flexdex, but I am not sure they make them anymore. What I like about mine is that it isn't much longer than a typical trick board but it has huge soft wheels that allow you to roll over cracks and pebbles without busting your ass. The deck is also very flexible which makes it really fun to ride. The downside to this is that it takes some of the energy away from your kicks. 

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
I like flexdex, but I am not sure they make them anymore. What I like about mine is that it isn't much longer than a typical trick board but it has huge soft wheels that allow you to roll over cracks and pebbles without busting your ass. The deck is also very flexible which makes it really fun to ride. The downside to this is that it takes some of the energy away from your kicks.

Thanks. I'll have to look into this. I'm not so concerned about the energy loss but the bigger wheels sounds good so I don't fall. Going to work on my bike I cruise at about 35 without pedaling except for one spot uphill. It'll probably be similar on a skateboard to work but much slower and I'll most likely just walk home and carry it. A real quick search shows that EBay still has them used.