Poll

Which subscription would you take?

More expensive one with better train times
5 (100%)
Cheaper option
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Commute dilemma/question  (Read 3636 times)

Paulie

Commute dilemma/question
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
I have a commute dilemma.

For a year I’ve been traveling back and forward to my work; 5 days a week, one-hour one-way. I go by train and pay 2500 per year for a trajectory subscription. About 2000 of that I get reimbursed. Next month they will raise the prices again, and I will pay about 2700 per year, so that comes down to about 60,-  per month. Going by car is a bit faster, but a lot more expensive, and going by bike is undoable. I will have this job for at least two more years.

Now I learned that there is another option regarding train subscriptions. For 99 per month you can travel unlimited by train, if you do not travel during rush hour. That means that you cannot start traveling from 6:30-9:00 and from 16:30-19:00. This would mean that I have to leave home at 6:10 in the morning and leave work at 15:45 or that I should go to work at 9:10 and leave work at 19:15 (but then I wouldn’t get home until 20:10). It’s not always possible for me to leave work at 15:45 or arrive at 10:10. I also need to check with my boss if he is ok with it, but I think that it shouldn’t be a problem.

So my options as I see it are:
A)   Expensive subscription for 225,- per month, but it allows me to go to and from work at normal times.
B)   Cheaper subscription. This would mess up my social life a bit and I would have to go to bed earlier than my boyfriend which I don’t like too much.

Two more comments:
With the cheaper subscription I could also travel free during weekends (saving an additional 30,- per month)
I would sometimes have to buy single tickets if I go for the cheaper subscription, so the savings are not exactly 155 per month.

My question: would you guys go for the cheaper subscription that would mess up your ‘normal’ schedule, or would you rather pay the extra money to be able to get up/get home at more normal times?

Thanks!

Thegoblinchief

Re: Commute dilemma/question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »
I'm a morning person when kids don't destroy my sleep, so I'd personally be just fine with the early option. My previous job had a schedule even more morning-skewed.

With a ride that long, keep in mind you wouldn't have to be AWAKE at 0610, just "up".

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
What will your job cover then?  All of it?  Or do you get cash money back?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
It sounds like you are asking if it's worth it to screw up your life schedule pretty significantly for 60,- per month net effect, with nearly no flexibility?

No way in hell I'd do that.

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »
Some things are worth paying for. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 05:46:44 AM »
Why not try out the new schedule for a week or two BEFORE you commit to it?

See how much hassle it is, then make a decision.

Paulie

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies! It is a good idea to try it out for a week.

I should make clear that I get the 2000 euro anyhow. It doesn't matter how much I spend, they calculate that by distance.

Paulie

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
So it would save me about 125 per month

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!