Author Topic: Comfortable everyday women's shoes? My feet need help!  (Read 9817 times)

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Comfortable everyday women's shoes? My feet need help!
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »
Fellow mustachians, I desperately need help shoe shopping. I've never really owned more than two or three pairs of shoes at any given time, but I have yet to find a good solid pair that I can stick with long term. All I want from a shoe is comfort, the ability to last longer than just a few months, and that it looks nice-ish (nothing fancy, but I at least want to be able to wear them with a dress to work without looking silly). The price is not an issue as long as it'll last proportionally long enough to be worth the initial cost.

Does anyone here have any advice? I'm finding a lot of pricier shoes that are allegedly comfortable and durable, but I don't want to throw $150+ at a pair that turns out to be just another dud. I think I can trust your judgment, so please help.

snuggler

• Stubble
Re: Comfortable everyday women's shoes? My feet need help!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
I am a big fan of Clarks. Specifically, I'm a big fan of the Sugar Sky and Sugar Plum shoes. They are comfy for dress shoes, have a low heel (which is important for me since I am clutzy and like to be able to keep up if I have to walk a longer distance at work), and look great with suits or dresses. I usually buy them off of Amazon, because they have a free return policy for most shoes.

I think I paid about $70 for these last time I bought them.

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 06:13:52 PM »
I've experimented with lots of brands over the years because I have really touchy feet.  At the pricier end, I've had good luck with ECCO, Naot, Dansko, Munro, and Cole Haan.  They ain't cheap, but they all produce shoes that feel good and last a good long while. 

Less expensive brands that I've had good luck with are Born, Clarks, Naturalizer, and Aerosoles.

I just read an article about how Birkenstocks are all the rage nowadays and are coming out with a bunch of new styles.  I've never worn them, but they're supposed to be very healthy for the feet, so they might be worth checking out.

Looking forward to seeing other people's recommendations, too.

Quinn

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
I love Clarks & Merrell.  I have flat feet, so I buy Superfeet insoles to replace the standard insole on any shoe that I plan to wear for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
Depends on the shape of your feet. I can't wear Clarks or Merrill because there's nowhere near enough arch support, but I've had good luck with Ecco and (better) Dansko. You have to try them on, because even the good brands also have a "fashion" line or two, and you need to know which of their footbed styles suits you. Once you find one that works, write down all the details somewhere you'll be able to find them in a year or two.

May I also suggest you'll do better with more than one pair, and that, in pants, no one notices casual shoes as long as they're solid black. I've gone with Dr. shoals with added arch support for pants for several years; this year was a pair of Dr Shoals tennis shoes, and no one noticed because they blend in. These are cheap, both the tennis shoes and the slightly dressier slides, and they need to be replaced yearly. Danskos last for years and should go to a cobbler for repairs as needed, Ecco is somewhere in between.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
I LOVE Dansko Professionals, but they go better with dark jeans, not with a dress or business attire.  I had my last pair for 12 whole years and finally just replaced them with the exact same style.

Since my black Liz Claiborne loafers also died a few months ago, I bought a pair of Clarks Sugar Spice that I wear to work with my black dress pants.  They have been extremely comfortable, and I like the solid rubber bottom that extends sole to heel, rather than split-sole.  You can tell it's solid construction that is going to last.  I'm glad someone else recommended the Clarks Sugar Sky, as well, since I was looking into buying a pair of those, too.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 05:30:30 AM »
I also agree with Clarks.  I have a pair of Clarks black dress shoes that I typically wear with jeans.  They don't have a heel (so I don't really wear them with skirts as such or if I do it tends to be a jean skirt).  They are very comfortable.  Have had them for quite some time.  One thing I always do is make sure the shoe I try on in the shoe store is very comfortable.  If there is even a hint of slight discomfort, I don't buy it.  Sometimes this means going a size up.  Find a reputable shoe store. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 05:31:40 AM »
I LOVE Dansko Professionals, but they go better with dark jeans, not with a dress or business attire.  I had my last pair for 12 whole years and finally just replaced them with the exact same style.

I don't actually own any of the clogs, which I agree look too casual for skirts, at least. I have some Dansko Mary janes built on the same footbed as the clogs. I'm not sure they're made anymore, but they're similar to these:

http://www.zappos.com/dansko-tandy-black-burnished-full-grain?ef_id=VUtMfwAABf-rSx0d:20150507112903:s

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »
Clarks are worth every penny, and I would opt for leather wedges for a versatile look. They're more comfortable than heels, but they look just as nice with dress pants, dresses and skirts.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »
Clarks quality has gone down the hill in the last few years.  They use cheap materials and are just not the same as they used to be.  Ecco is still pretty decent.  You could try Geox.  I find them very comfortable and well made.

If you order from Zappos, shipping and returns are free and super easy.  Order several pairs, see which one you like and just send back the rest of them.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
I am really loving my Lotta from Stockholm clogs.  They look really cute and feel great for my feet and back.  They are similar to Swedish Hasbeens, but less expensive.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
we just had the exact same thread last month!

I totally thought it was the same thread!

I'm finding a lot of pricier shoes that are allegedly comfortable and durable, but I don't want to throw $150+ at a pair that turns out to be just another dud. I think I can trust your judgment, so please help.
(emphasis mine)

Have you had $150 a pair shoes before that didn't work out? Did you try them on first/get them fitted? What usually falls apart first or wears out?

Certain stores are amazing with knowledgeable salespeople and a fairly wide selection of reputable brands, to the point where you can tell them your issues with shoes or brands in the past, and they can recommend something specific to your feet and experiences. If price is not too much of an issue, definitely try to find a place like this. I often do this, buy a pair, then look for the same shoe online later for cheaper or on sale.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 07:48:14 AM »
It completely depend on your foot and what kind of shoe you want, that being said, I wear ugly shoes and have for a very long time. My normal wear everyday shoes are Merrell, Jungle Mocs and I wore one pair for 9 years before replacing them, I am a stay at home mom now, but I wasn't for a few of those 9 years, I was on my feet all day cutting hair, so I say they last a long time either way.

I have other cute shoes for special occasions, Simple shoes, they don't even exist anymore, but if you can find a pair, they use old tires for the soles and they are very hard to wear out.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »
Wolky makes some great shoes. I have their maryjane style, the Passion. They have lasted years.

La Canadienne is also excellent. Look on 6pm.com for deals on their shoes and boots. Made in Canada.

Once it gets warm enough to move out of boots, I switch to Mephistos, specifically the Helen sandal.

With the exception of tennis shoes and a couple of pairs of low heels, those are the only brands I buy anymore.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
I used to wear Clarks almost exclusively but agree with the poster who said that the quality has slipped.  My adult daughter wears the same shoe size as me and never found Clarks to be comfortable.  She wears Born and swears by them but I don't find them to be as comfortable so it all depends a lot on YOUR feet.

I recently bought two different pairs of shoes from online retailer, "Hotter" and like them a lot.  They run slightly large (my opinion) but they come with extra insoles and that made them fit me perfectly. 

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
Thank you all for all the recommendations so far!

I'm finding a lot of pricier shoes that are allegedly comfortable and durable, but I don't want to throw $150+ at a pair that turns out to be just another dud. I think I can trust your judgment, so please help.
(emphasis mine)

Have you had $150 a pair shoes before that didn't work out? Did you try them on first/get them fitted? What usually falls apart first or wears out?

This was poor phrasing on my part; I haven't personally owned a pair in that price range. I'm basing this on conversations with friends who have had shoes in that range that turned out to be very uncomfortable after a couple of wears.

For the types of stores you're talking about, any ideas how I'd go about finding one? Would they normally be local places or chains?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
Another cautionary tale on Clarks--I bought a pair of low heeled ankle boots to be my every day boots. One wore through at the toe (sole and top separated dramatically) in five months. I'm shipping them back for inspection, but wasn't able to exchange them at the physical store. Very disheartening.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
Thank you all for all the recommendations so far!

(emphasis mine)

This was poor phrasing on my part; I haven't personally owned a pair in that price range. I'm basing this on conversations with friends who have had shoes in that range that turned out to be very uncomfortable after a couple of wears.

For the types of stores you're talking about, any ideas how I'd go about finding one? Would they normally be local places or chains?

Places I'm thinking of have been more local, but it depends on the store - I'm sure some chains are great, too. I'd check out Yelp and others for reviews to see if you can find a place that has knowledgeable staff and some likelihood of having shoes that look okay with a skirt (also wear a skirt or dress when you try the shoes on). If you have relatively "normal" feet (not wide or narrow, in the typical sizing range), this will give you a good opportunity to try on a bunch of different shoes. Even if you don't find the right shoes, you get a sense of what the right shoes might look like and can search for them online.

Also don't forget the importance of good insoles. :)  Husband has Superfeet insoles which he loves and are definitely worth the price for no pain.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:19 PM »
Many outlet malls have Clarks outlets and I've found their sales to be fairly good.  If you have one near you, check it out.

Also, as far as spending money and then being dissatisfied, consider Nordstrom.  They will basically take back anything, for any reason.  I'd save the receipt, though I'm not certain they require even that.  If, in a year, our expensive shoes fall apart, they should take them back.  If, after 6 wears, you realize they give you a blister or squeak, I *know* they will take them back as I have a coworker who did just that.

They also carry many of the brands here online, and I'm guessing in-store as well.  If you don't mind some trial and error and or ordering the same shoe in a couple sizes to see what works, they have free shipping and free returns, and they participate in ebates so you can save a few more bucks that way.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
I find Clarks clunky and not very comfortable at all.  For casual wear, I'm usually in Merrells and more recently, Keens.  I picked up a pair of suede Keens slipons from Nordstrom Rack for less than $80 and they are ultra-comfortable.  I'm not sure I can adjust back to my warm weather Merrells.

For dress/work shoes, I spring for the $200-300 price tag for shoes from Comfort One (or something similar).  I have one pair of Beautifeel low heel Mary Janes for warm weather and one pair Hartjes booties for cold/wet weather.  I buy thrift-store clothes but will pay good money for shoes.  As you get older, making sure your feet, ankles and knees are taken care is a priority.  I always went bare-foot indoors but find in recent years that my joints really feel it if I go barefoot for even brief periods (I have a pair of indoor Crocs now).  I don't have a car so foot health is even more important.  Plus, I figure I can splurge on shoes with the money I'm not spending on car ownership.  It's still a great deal--$200/300 shoes is way cheaper than taking care of a car.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 11:47:44 PM »
Birkenstocks - Amazon usually has a couple styles for like $60-70, and some designs have gotten more feminine. I normally wouldn't spend that much on shoes, but they last forever and can be repaired (not the case for most).

Clark Privo sandals are awesome too (they might be called something else now)

Elisabeth

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »
I bought Skechers in my teens, and now again in my 30s! They are comfortable. I buy a "sport flat" which works with business casual so long as it's not a super round toe.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
As my feet age and get more painful, I am more and more addicted to Birkenstocks.  I normally wait for the weird colors to go on sale for less than $25/pair at Sierra Trading Post.  That means that I am currently wearing red plaid Birkenstocks which probably look silly but my feet are happy.

okonomiyaki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 02:51:10 AM »
Ecco for work shoes, Merrell and Naot for daily/shopping/more casual shoes. *Lots* of foot issues.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
As my feet age and get more painful, I am more and more addicted to Birkenstocks.  I normally wait for the weird colors to go on sale for less than $25/pair at Sierra Trading Post.  That means that I am currently wearing red plaid Birkenstocks which probably look silly but my feet are happy.
Great tip!! Thanks!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »
For sandals: Clark's Lucena Artisan. They go up in price every year, but are well worth it.

For a maryjane: Rieker Women's Liv 28 R1728. They sell out fast, though. I have worn out my first pair after four years and am buying a second pair from Zappo's. Found them on Amazon, too.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
For sandals: Clark's Lucena Artisan. They go up in price every year, but are well worth it.

For a maryjane: Rieker Women's Liv 28 R1728. They sell out fast, though. I have worn out my first pair after four years and am buying a second pair from Zappo's. Found them on Amazon, too.

Forgot about Reiker. I have a pair of their  slide-inclogs I got at a thrift store and love, but I've never seen them for sale new. My pair is casual wear only.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »
That is the only style of Rieker that I like…most of their shoes are too weird-looking, over-decorated, and colorful for what I want. But, boy, do I love that one style.