Author Topic: Comcast Renegotiation  (Read 4026 times)

Scortius

• Bristles
Comcast Renegotiation
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:20:52 AM »
Does anyone have experience with this?  My one year introductory period is up and I need to call them and ask for the intro price back.  For reference I have internet only and they bundled it with basic cable (which I don't really care about).  I imagine they'll try and upsell me to internet plus extended cable, but I don't want it.  Some people say threaten to quit, others say just ask for a reset.  One friend asked to quit as a bluff and Comcast accepted... maybe not the worst thing in the end I guess.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Comcast Renegotiation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
Threaten to cancel. Best case scenario they cancel your account and you can find a better ISP.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
I do this once a year.

Be firm and say that your promo period is up, and you want the same or better service for the same amount or less than what you were paying before.

If they offer you a crappy price, turn it down.  Ask if they can do better.  They might transfer you.  Mention the competition (be specific about what they're offering).

Ahead of that, look up your address on their site, and pretend to be a new subscriber to see what they're offering currently.  They'll probably eventually offer you one of those.  Once you get to that point, you won't get any farther.  Then you agree to it, hang up, and wash the Comcast taste out of your mouth with your beverage of choice.

At our current address, we had 25mbps internet at $29.99 as our original promo rate.  It was going to jump to $66.95 but they gave me $39.99 for 25mbps plus HBO (best internet-only they'd offer was $49.99).  I'm going to do the dance again soon, and it looks like I'll end up with the same $39.99 internet+HBO package but with 75mbps instead of 25mbps (fiber is coming to my area so there's about to be real competition).

It's all a game.

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »
When I cancelled cable and just kept internet, I ran across this site with a list of Comcast's internet packages (about halfway down the page).

http://cabletvinternet.s9.com/xfinity-high-speed-internet-plans-.html#graph

I was expecting a fight, but I told them I needed to cancel our Triple Play and wanted to keep internet, and it was very quick and painless.  Maybe it helped that I knew exactly what plan I wanted and how much it cost, or maybe they're just used to people calling to lower their prices. 

As long as you're polite and aren't on a contract that you're trying to break, you should be able to get what you want without too much hassle (though, they inevitably will try to upsell you.  "No thank you" goes a long way). 

Good luck!  You can do this!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
Good luck to you. I have tried negotiating with Comcast a couple of times and have been entirely unsuccessful. They really are the worst. I think the main issue is that here in the heart of Silicon Valley Comcast has a monopoly. Yes, there is inferior AT&T DSL, but that isn't a true competitive offering because it is so much slower. RIDICULOUS!!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
My advice?  Don't "threaten." 

See what your best options are if you were to leave comcast.  Include everything in the cost - so if there is a $60 install fee for Verizon fios, and $60 in equipment you would need to buy, and they have a 1 year intro for $40/month, your price to beat is $50/month.  If you think switching might be a hassle, then also give yourself a buffer for whatever you think it is worth to not switch.  If it's no hassle, the price to beat is $50.  If it's worth $24 to you to not switch, then your price to beat is $52/month.

Then call comcast, tell them your deal is about to be up, and you want to see if they can do anything to lower the price come April (or whatever month your deal is done).  Tell them you've been happy with their service (if you have been), but you've looked around and you can get a better deal elsewhere.  See what they come up with.  If it is nowhere near your $50 or $52, tell them you are looking at $50 from Verizon and ask if there are any other options to lower the cost.  If they can't get to a good price, express your gratitude for their attempt, and politely cancel the service and call to set up your new one.

Did this with Verizon recently and they were able to strike a good deal, it was a really pleasant call, the guy was super helpful.  They even told me what moves to make in another year to maintain the same rate, which would change if I don't cancel some ancillary service that currently creates a bigger discount when added.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
If unsuccessful, how long do you have to wait to be considered a new customer again?

My intro rate was $35 and this year it's $50.  Supposedly in the 3rd year, it will jump to the 'normal' rate of $75.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
I've never been very successful at negotiating a new price with them mostly because there's not much competition in my area and I have no patience.  Small providers, but not true competition.  I did use Bill Fixers this past year and they got a lower price that saves me $180 annually.  Better than nothing.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:04:37 PM by Fireball »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
If unsuccessful, how long do you have to wait to be considered a new customer again?

My intro rate was $35 and this year it's $50.  Supposedly in the 3rd year, it will jump to the 'normal' rate of $75.
Do you have roommates or a significant other?  You can switch who's name you sign up with and it'll do the job if that's your only option.  That's part of why our current plan is under my GF's name.  If need be, we can switch it to mine, and possibly by the time we'd switch back, her last name could change.  I'm not sure how romantic this brand of pragmatism appears.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
Threaten to cancel. Best case scenario they cancel your account and you can find a better ISP.
Unless you have no other options, like in my case. I would definitely investigate alternatives before making the "I'll cancel" phone call.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
Comcast recently updated their customer portal website. There is something called 'manage my plan' or something like that on the bottom left side of the welcome page after you sign in. Click on that and it will take you to retention offers. I just did this and it saved me $25 and a lot of potential frustration.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »
Comcast recently updated their customer portal website. There is something called 'manage my plan' or something like that on the bottom left side of the welcome page after you sign in. Click on that and it will take you to retention offers. I just did this and it saved me $25 and a lot of potential frustration.

Yes, someone above also mentioned that.  Sounds like a great hassle-free way to see what I can get.  I wonder though if the offers there will be worse than those I could get if I called.  Either way, I'll check tonight and report back!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
Let us know how the web option works out for you!

I simply called and asked what is the best rate you have, since my promotion pricing is ending and I'd gotten an offer from another company.

It turned into a major hassle though because of course Comcast didn't correctly apply the extended promo pricing initially, and I had to call back multiple times before they finally got it right, grrr. But for $19.99/mo, I'll take it, and hope the web option works out next time.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
I tried the same with TWC/Spectrum and the best offer they gave me was $5 a month off my $75 a month even when I had said I wanted to cancel.

I ended up cancelling and going with AT&T for $40/month. The price was guaranteed for 2 years and the contract was 1 year.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »
Ok, time for a quick trip report.

I went through my Comcast account portal and found a link to other promotional offers.  I was currently signed up for an $80ish/mo 50Mbs + basic cable (before fees) and I selected a new package that was $65/mo for 25Mbs and no TV anything.  Upon doing so I was instructed to 'confirm' in a chatroom.  At that point the rep attempted to sell me on promotional deals.  He offered a $60/mo for 12 months offer that goes back to $80/mo after 12 months.  Of importance: both new offers start with a $110 early cancellation fee that drops $10 every month.

I asked if I could select a new package after 12 months and the rep confirmed that I could.  I felt that I could hold myself to that level of responsibility so I opted for the $60/mo for 12 months offer (before fees I'm sure).  Like most Comcast internet plans, there was a 1TB monthly cap.  I checked my usage as a moderately high user (but no real Netflix) and I average about 100GB, so no worry there.

So, now I wait and see if anything strange comes through the pipeline, but all-in-all, not a difficult way to save $20/mo.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »

Do you have roommates or a significant other?  You can switch who's name you sign up with and it'll do the job if that's your only option.  That's part of why our current plan is under my GF's name.  If need be, we can switch it to mine, and possibly by the time we'd switch back, her last name could change.  I'm not sure how romantic this brand of pragmatism appears.
And this, kids, is why you never do this nonsense of joint bills.

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 05:23:07 AM »
I just discovered the hack of putting it in another persons name to get the promo pricing. I switched from an account in my name to my husbands name. We sent our stupid HD DVR back to them, and the modem they eternally charged us 10$ a month.  We  told them we only wanted internet in the new account. It took an hour or two to get the new box they sent us up and running about a week later. Oh! And we bought our own modem to not pay the extra $10 a month silliness.  Long story short, we ended up with basic cable (which I haven't touched) and went from a monthly bill of over $200 per month down to 49.99 plus tax and fees. We split that with our neighbor (duplex perks!!) and thus only pay about 25$ per month. The money we are saving can easily pay for a little vacation or pile on to our investments with very little effort. We watch Netflix now whenever we want to watch something and I couldn't be happier.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 08:11:27 AM »

Yes, someone above also mentioned that.  Sounds like a great hassle-free way to see what I can get.  I wonder though if the offers there will be worse than those I could get if I called.  Either way, I'll check tonight and report back!

This is good to know!  I just checked ours.  We're currently paying $39.99/mo for 25 mbps, but I can't watch Netflix while DH plays games online (way too laggy), so I was looking to change.  Interestingly, they're offering us both a 25 mbps and a 100 mbps plan at $49.99/mo.  They also have duplicates of both options, one with a "Download speeds" tag and one with a "streaming is awesome" tag.  Hmmm.

Also, I've generally had better results getting prices down by going in person.  I have a coworker who was on hold for literally 3 hours a few years ago.  I hope they've upgraded their customer service since then.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 08:42:35 AM »
Good luck to you. I have tried negotiating with Comcast a couple of times and have been entirely unsuccessful. They really are the worst. I think the main issue is that here in the heart of Silicon Valley Comcast has a monopoly. Yes, there is inferior AT&T DSL, but that isn't a true competitive offering because it is so much slower. RIDICULOUS!!
When I switched from Comcast's 25 mbps service to a 6 mbps DSL service, I found that the DSL was actually much faster for my needs. Even with 25 mbps cable, NetFlix was almost unwatchable on the weekends due to pauses every 2-3 minutes for buffering. With 6 mbps DSL, NetFlix might have to pause for buffering once every couple of weeks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!