Author Topic: Comcast - need talking points to negotiate discount  (Read 14718 times)

andrea-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Comcast - need talking points to negotiate discount
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Hi Guys-

I can't convince my hubby to drop Comcast (no matter how hard I try).  They just raised our package $10 a month and I've had enough.   

What do I need to say to them (and who do I need to talk to) to get our package lowered?  Give me some good talking points...I'll let you know how I do!

Our current package:
Digital preferred with On Demand $87.90
HD Technology fee $9.95
2 Additional HD outlsets (boxes, remotes) $19.90
2 additional digital adapters $3.98
Taxes $7.59

Internet is through comcast...but fully paid through my work since I work from home.   I am not eligible for bundling since corporate pays my internet directly.   Our phone is magic jack ($20 a year).

Andrea

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Re: Comcast - need talking points to negotiate discount
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
Are there any local cable competitors?  Just say you're going to switch to them or Direct TV and see what they say.  Say it costs too much money, you don't want to pay that much anymore, etc.  They drop the price in no time at all, it's super easy.   

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
I had no luck with Comcast recently.  I called twice and also tried chat and they were not responsive.   I was basically told that I can only get their advertised new customer pricing if I include any additional services in the package (which I was not interested in - I have basic cable plus internet and that is all need or want).  So I cancelled their service and am switching to AT&T Uverse this week....

andrea-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
I had no luck with Comcast recently.  I called twice and also tried chat and they were not responsive.   I was basically told that I can only get their advertised new customer pricing if I include any additional services in the package (which I was not interested in - I have basic cable plus internet and that is all need or want).  So I cancelled their service and am switching to AT&T Uverse this week....

Dang...we don't have Uverse yet.  It looks like a much better deal!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »
Your package is a higher profit item, so you should have some negotiating room.  Find out what the promo rates are from Dish Network and Direct TV for similar packages.  U-Verse is just AT&T's deal with Dish Network.  Also see if you have Verizon's FIOS and get promotional pricing from them if you do.  Then make the phone call to Comcast.  If you can't get it reduced enough on the first try, ask for the customer retention people so you can discuss it with them "before you make the final decision to go with Competitor X."

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
I haven't worked with Comcast in a long time but I know many other ISP's have a retention department. Basically to the retention department, all they care about is that you have paid your bill on time the past 6 months. To them a customer that pays on time is worth a steep discount. So I'd mention how long you've been a customer and that you are signed up for automatic billing.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
I'd start with your hubby.

Do you really need HD? Personally we couldn't tell the difference on our 36" Samsung LCD.

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
A friend actually decided he didnt want Cable anymore, and cancelled it.  Comcast called him a few weeks later and gave him cable for something crazy like 19 bucks a month for one year.  You may have to be willing to do that.  By the way, I hate comcast with a passion.

StarryC

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »
Depending on the amount of time you have and your "risk" tolerance actually saying "I want to cancel" is a great tactic.  It usually puts you through to that "retention" department and they might try to persuade you.  Or they might not.  The problem with actually canceling is you would usually have to send back your equipment, and then when you want to re-hook up there are fees and they have to send someone out.   If you have a flexible work schedule to be home all day, it might be worth it to do it, especially if you could hold out for a full month without cable. 

Another option is to call and say I want to lower my package.  Try to get anything lower than your $90 package, ask if there is a "local only" option, like "digital starter" or "digital economy."  Economy appears to be a long term rate at $35 a month with no ESPN.  If you can tough that out for a month or two, you should be able to get some new offers for your higher package.  (Or, you might learn that you don't need the higher package!)  However, if football is the issue now is probably not the best time.  Remind yourself to do this when whichever sport is in the off season.  Or, perhaps there are other sources I'm not aware of as a non sports fan.

It also looks like you have 3 TVs with cable.  It would save you about $25/ month to have just one TV.  Perhaps hook those other tvs up to a Roku and an Antenna or a DVD player?  How often are they used and for what? 

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
I tried this: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/12/16/how-i-cut-my-comcast-cable-bill-by-33-without-losing-any-service/ a few days ago and it worked. I received a the promo rate again after they bumped my bill up. Make sure to go through the sales department chat rather than the billing. Billing will just try to get you to remove services.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
My dad tells me that he calls periodically (whenever a promo expires of they raise his rates) and tells them he would like to cancel.  He doesn't even have to say anything else.  Every single time (probably 4-5 times), they have transferred him to some department with a weird euphemism (I wish I could remember, but it was something like, "Business Loyalty Division" lol) and has gotten a reduction. 

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
Yup, same here. So we cancelled cable altogether with Comcast, and then negotiated the internet only price. We just kept saying it's too expensive and we have a better deal for internet with Century Link, and they transferred us to their Loyalty Dpt and we got a much better deal. I bet it would be the same for cable.

andrea-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
Well folks, I promised a report back on how I made out.

Bottom line...I didn't do well.  Comcast will not match, or even come close, to directTV offering.   They gave me a whole $10 monthly discount off my bill.  Yippeee (said with much sarcasm).

Still researching other options...I want to figure out if Roku+amazon prime+netflix will get us all that we need.  Must haves are sports, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Nick, Disney.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
I just had a pretty good success with Comcast. I had a six-month deal for Blast! (50 Mb) and digital economy TV with free HBO (the only channel I really like to watch) for $44.99 that expired. Called today to cancel the TV and keep the internet (fully prepared to downgrade speed to keep the payment ~$50/month). Comcast offered to keep me on the same services I have right now (including HBO) for $49.99/month. I probably should have negotiated further, but I'm happy with the price and, although it's not needed, I will enjoy having HBO for another six months.

Still researching other options...I want to figure out if Roku+amazon prime+netflix will get us all that we need.  Must haves are sports, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Nick, Disney.

Amazon prime has the Nickelodean shows and there's some Disney stuff on the app for the Roku (not much, IMO). Live sports are pretty hit-or-miss, largely depending on what's available from ESPN3/WatchESPN. I don't have any experience with the other networks you listed.

Ductyl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
I can't find the original article I read on the subject, but I remember some key points:

• Tell them you're having trouble affording the bill
  • When they come back with no discount at all, or a miniscule discount, tell them that's still higher than you can really afford (apparently it's in their script to not give you the actual best deal possible until the second time)
  • When you finally get a good price, tell them you're not comfortable with the possibility that the price will go up later, ask if there is a way to lock in that price

This article was from a few years ago, so who knows if those tips are still good. Basically, be polite, and don't "threaten to cancel", just "be concerned" about your ability to afford it.

I've also heard that using the Customer Service Chat, rather than calling in, can work out well.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
@andrea-stache, your experience is consistent with mine.  I tried calling them a couple of times and chatting and they wouldn't budge.  They offered me $10 off as well.  I cancelled Comcast and am having AT&T Uverse installed. Although that is not going as well as planned as it turned out AT&T was wrong in telling me they had fiberoptic service connected to the building...  They are coming in again on Saturday (the outside work supposedly was done last night)...

andrea-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
@andrea-stache, your experience is consistent with mine.  I tried calling them a couple of times and chatting and they wouldn't budge.  They offered me $10 off as well.  I cancelled Comcast and am having AT&T Uverse installed. Although that is not going as well as planned as it turned out AT&T was wrong in telling me they had fiberoptic service connected to the building...  They are coming in again on Saturday (the outside work supposedly was done last night)...

Uverse is not in PA yet...I am so sick of comcast I would love to leave them! 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
Must haves are sports, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Nick, Disney.

That's a lot of must haves!  The only one I can really help with is sports.

Here's a thread with a lot of discussion about how us sports fans watch without cable:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/kicked-cable-out-of-the-house!-is-there-an-option-for-watching-tennis/

bjclifto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
We've had success getting the bill lowered several times (20-30% discount) by simply walking into one of their service centers.  It seems they're much more willing to work with you when in-person versus online chat or phone.

Try going to http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Shop/Retail/Storelocator.html .  Enter in your info to find the closest service center and simply stop in to see what they can do....

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »
I wish I could negotiate with my internet company (frankly, they are awful, and it hurts to pay so much for terrible service).  They are the ONLY internet company that services my street (which, incidentally, is lined with apartment complexes...I truly believe they paid somebody off to have exclusive rights to my street).  I have tried threatening to cancel, and all I get is, "I'm sorry you're unhappy with our services.  When should we schedule termination?"

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
Why do you have three HD outlets? Do you need that many HD tv's? Kill two of them and you save $20/mo.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Andrea, you don't need to negotiate so much as cut some massive pork out of the budget. How much of that do you actually need? It's just mindless entertainment, after all. You can get that for a lot cheaper online than you can through a cable TV package. Also, HD video? Sorry, but you don't need to see Bob De Niro's mole hair to enjoy one of his movies.

Why do you have three HD outlets? Do you need that many HD tv's? Kill two of them and you save $20/mo.

Hush, that's crazy talk!