Author Topic: Comcast MPEG 4  (Read 2950 times)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
Comcast MPEG 4
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »
Are there any other mustachians out there getting screwed by the Comcast switch to MPEG4? Yes I realize that TV is not mustachian, but in my area my only option is Comcast for internet and the cheapest I can get that for is $69.99 for that price they give me the double play and add the TV in so I use that. I have my own TiVo box with lifetime service that has more than paid for itself, but will now only get me local channels and I'm bummed about it especially since getting the TV thrown in makes me feel less violated by Comcast. In order to get and HD recording device, which I enjoy so I can skip ads, I would have to upgrade service and therefore pay moreand they would charge me another $10/mo for the rental of the DVR. What are other's out there doing? I'm seriously considering paying my neighbor to use there internet and telling Comcast to go get intimate with themselves. Thoughts?

The Wire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Comcast MPEG 4
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »

This isn't Comcast's issue, it's TiVo's. If TiVo gives you a lifetime service then they should be responsible for figuring out how to deal with  MPEG4 for customers who own their older equipment. You need to contact TiVo about your options for upgrading.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:09:53 AM »
Are you sure there aren't other options in your area, like DSL or satellite? I'd even happily pay extra if it meant I didn't have to use Comcast.

Also, keep in mind that trying to leave Comcast can be terrible...
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2duzfi/comcasts_corporate_response_to_my_recent_reddit/

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »
(I'm not in Comcast area and I only use OTA... take this with a grain of salt.)

From what I've read on tivo forums, if you call Tivo directly, they'll make you a highly discounted deal on their current offerings with lifetime subscription.  Note that I didn't say "a good deal."  I said "highly discounted deal."  Whether you want to pursue that... up to you.

Your lifetime subscription box can then be sold on ebay.  Act now, before more cable companies (or more Comcast markets) switch to mpeg4.  I am guessing we are talking a series 2 or series 3 box here.  I think Romios and Premeires DO upgrade themselves automatically to handle mpeg4. 

Historically, I've been a huge Tivo fan... but ... their pricing has just gotten nuts.  I suspect when mine dies, I'll either fully embrace watching things online (or a year later on dvd)  or I will fall back to building my own MythTV type box.  In the old days, it was much cheaper to buy a lifetime Tivo than to buy the equivalent hardware to build your own.  Now: I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure we crossed that threshold a few years back.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:47:59 AM by Spork »

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
Tivo's lifetime subscription deal is for the life of the device.  I am pretty sure if you read the details of the agreement that they are under no obligation to upgrade devices in the field as technology changes.  A Tivo series 1 DVR won't work with Comcast or most cable services anymore.  Do you really expect Tivo is just going to give you a new device to work with the new digital cable TV services?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!