Author Topic: Comcast Broadband Alternatives in Eastern Massachusetts?  (Read 4974 times)

ivyhedge

• Bristles
Comcast Broadband Alternatives in Eastern Massachusetts?
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
I told a number of you that we were inclined to cut cable post-Olympics, and we have.

However, the end result is poor: Comcast increased the price of our remaining broadband service to nearly what it was before we cut the service. Their alternative was to throttle back the broadband to DSL speeds. (And, although it could certainly be coincidence, our speed does appear slower, with higher latency, than it has been for years following my call, despite having the "same" broadband subscription...)

Has anyone from our area (Burlington, MA) had any luck getting providers other than Comcast to apartment complexes?

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
Re: Comcast Broadband Alternatives in Eastern Massachusetts?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »
I love RCN, but they aren't available in every town in the area, so you'll have to check yours.  When I switched from Comcast to RCN my costs went down and my internet speed went up.  I also no longer have to reboot my modem regularly, which is a nice change.  Aside from that, I'd suggest knocking on neighbors' doors to ask what they have, and do some Google searches.  Good luck!  I hope you find something a whole lot better than Comcast!

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »
Nope - Comcast only, sadly...They've got "the full lock".

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
See if you can bypass Comcast with Earthlink.

As for data speed, most people really don't need more than about 3Mbps service. Keep that in mind as a way to keep costs lower. 3Mbps is plenty to run non-HD streaming video, VoIP telephone, gaming, and incidental surfing.