Author Topic: Colorado Internet Service?  (Read 8610 times)

kolorado

• Bristles
Colorado Internet Service?
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »
We moved here two weeks ago from NJ. There we paid $48 a month for basic phone service and high speed internet. Verizon gave us the modem when we signed up.
Hubby went to CenturyLink here and either got hoodwinked or didn't understand what he was signing up for. He came home with no paperwork or receipt but a modem box and said it was free. That didn't jive with what I had seen on their site when I looked at plans using the library computer but I know how things change when a salesperson is involved. :/  The monthly fee he was quoted was also $10 higher than the internet price I'd noted. That was all frustrating enough but I shrugged and sighed and figured if $60 a month would give us phone and internet it wasn't too, too terrible compared to NJ.
Well, the bill came yesterday. Apparently they signed us up for a complete phone package with long distance and all the features(never used or needed those)and that with basic high speed internet is a $70 plan. Add in the modem lease(not free!)and all the taxes and billing for 4 days of service in April(35 day billing period)and it's over $3 a day before the addition of the installation fee. Ridiculous!
Does anyone in CO have CenturyLink? I see on their website that I can downgrade to basic phone service for $17 but it doesn't indicate what happens to internet service when the two unbundle.
Do I have other options here? I'm searching but it seems like there isn't another choice other than Comcast.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Colorado Internet Service?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »
Go talk to them.  You should have at least a 30 day trial period.  Even if that's past I'd argue with em for a better plan or cancel.

Be a squeaky wheel.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

napalminator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
Centurylink and Comcast are pretty much it in the Denver area.  I have CL but will probably be switching - Comcast tends to have better speeds.  I'd suggest buying a modem instead of renting one - hit up craigslist or ebay.

I pay $50/mo for 7MB internet (no phone or TV).  They are generally quite responsive to "i'm going to leave!" type talk. 

A suggestion - look into Comcast Business internet instead of residential.  A tad more money, but no caps and the service is better. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Kolorado, I'm gonna recommend you read the communications superguide, but that's why I created it... for questions just like this. The two posts that will likely mean the most to your situation will be the ISP and home phone posts.

It's in dire need of updating and I've got a few changes pending, but I've also got other irons in the fire right now, so it'll have to wait. Should give you a good starting point, though.

ferfischer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Fisch Tank
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
We don't have telephone lines in our house, but have cable lines, so we have comcast for cable only.  Centurylink has the deal right now for internet for $20 a month, but you have to bundle it with home phone and something else.   I kind of hate centurylink/qwest, so we are with Comcast.  Not a great deal either, but it's less than $65 month (with all the taxes and stuff) so we work with it.  Not sure what the other options are though.

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
Comcast is better in the Denver area and you can usually get a phone line through them relatively cheap or internet only if you have a cell phone each.
I usually walked in once a year to the local office and sweet talked the ladies there to give me a $20/month discount which was good for six months, and then I had to pay full price the remaining six months, then next year I'd do it again. :)

Find a local CenturyLink office and cancel the service. If there are no signatures on anything, I think it might not be THAT hard to take things back, especially within 30 days.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
I signed up for Century Link 7mbps service about a year ago. When I signed up it was 34.99/month. After about two weeks I called and said I was going to switch to comcast. Thy agreed to lower the price 25/month for one year. I also rent a modem so my bill comes out to 30.30 each month.

My discount just ran out so I need to call them. They should lower my price otherwise I will switch to comcast. If I stay with CL I will probably buy a modem.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
So I called and our current plan is $83+fees. He said the lowest they could go with just local phone and basic high speed internet was $77+fees.  So that's ridiculous. Luckily I remembered something about Google voice and have been researching that as the alternative. Comcast will give me cable internet for less than $50 a month. I would drop the landline completely. If I'm understanding GV correctly I can plug my phone in to the computer and use my connection to make and receive calls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
I'm in Longmont but the advertised price on the internet for Century Link is 29.99 for internet only. I think comcast also shows 29.99.

HankWilliams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 03:33:27 PM »
Hi, Return of the zombie thread!!!!

Looking for cheap internet in Denver. Is there a website to compare or do y'all have any recommendations?

Not looking for bundle package. Just internet. Thanks a lot!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!