Author Topic: Color hair at home vs. hair salon  (Read 10715 times)

Burgis81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Color hair at home vs. hair salon
« on: May 29, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Hi there!

I'm spending around 100 USD / month on color and cut at a hair salon. So..in order to lower that monthly cost I bought a pair of scissors and I think I should be fine to cut my hair myself after some DIY guides.

The only thing I wonder about is the hair color.. I'm imagining that the color at the salon is more professional/different ingredients? would I get the same result with color from the drug store? or can one somehow buy the salon color somewhere? (I guess they don't sell it at the salon, as they would loose their customers?) Is it difficult to find the right color (I only color the roots)? Its a bit scary, wouldn't want it to turn green or anything :-/ I think its no problem to apply it with one of those little brushes.

Any tips and/or experience is helpful! thanks!

workathomedad

• Stubble
Re: Color hair at home vs. hair salon
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
I'd suggest not coloring your hair.

FIence!

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:44:40 AM »
The thing with the box color is that it's one size (or in this case, formulation) fits all. At the salon, they mix different peroxide volumes based on your natural hair color. So, for example, if you have brown hair and go blonde, they will do it in a way that your base layer is lightened first. A box color will probably turn your hair brassy/orange if that's your goal.

If you're doing a single-process and just covering grey or going darker, I think you'd have a lot more luck with the store color. Places like Sally Beauty supply sell some on the salon type colors where there is an actual pigment tube and then you buy the lighteners separately. I've never tried this method myself, but my guess is that it would be better than the kits at the drugstore.

What effect are you trying to accomplish? Grey coverage, lighter, darker?

BuzzardsBay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:56:08 AM »
I'd be afraid I'd mess something up.  I'd rather pay to have it done professionally and cut something out of the budget somewhere else.

Good luck.  I hope it works for you.

OldDogNewTrick

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
You can't purchase the 'good' stuff unless you have a cosmetology license. Talk about government over-reach and protectionism.

I tried for 5 months to take care of my own hair....loved how my hair glowed clown orange in the sunlight. Finally gave up and now I budget $75.00 per month for my every 6 week salon visits.

I've heard there are ways to order professional quality hair coloring off the internet, but I've not tried that route yet.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:06:19 AM »
I am mostly gray, and do plan eventually to stop coloring at some point. I used to do the home coloring, but have an unusual color/highlight now (pinky violet with white streaks) and there is no way I could do it myself.

Home color is fine if you are just wanting a solid medium or dark color, but it is kind of iffy on blonds or funky stuff in my experience.

You might try it - it is easy, and if you don't like it, you can always go back to a salon or even get where you are happy with your natural color.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:11:48 PM by Frankies Girl »

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
I would say go for it!  If you try it once and it's not for you, no harm done.  Worst case - you save $100 for one month and then go back to the salon.  If it ends up really terrible the salon can probably fix it for your hair cut/colour price.

I'd agree with previous posters that not colouring is also an option...

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
I've colored my own hair for 10 years.  Thanks Aunt Jean for the early grays!  It's super easy, if you're just looking for a basic color.  If you want the highlights, streaks, subtle tones, not so much.  It takes less than an hour, costs 8 bucks, and lasts a month.  The only accident I've ever had was I got a small stain on the wood threshold to my bathroom.  My hair has looked fine every time.  I did get my hair professionally colored for 15 years before that.  To be honest, I prefer to do it at home now - I'm not good at idle chit chat. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
I have been helping my wife color her hair (she is a brunette) for several years.  The savings are significant!  She gets her color from e-salon. 

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
DO NOT USE BOX COLOR! Box color uses a very high volume of developer and that can really damage hair plus if you mess it up it can be nearly impossible to correct. You can purchase color and developer at Sally Beauty. You might be able to get your formula or at least the level of developer your stylist uses on you. Developers are usually multiples of 10, i.e. 10vol, 20vol, etc. If you can get a friend or family member to help you with the color it will be simpler. Doing the back of the head can be tricky. I say if the color makes you happy then try it at home. I color my hair at home and I estimate the supplies cost me about $10 each time.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
I helped my girlfriend color her hair a while back using what I think was called Henna.  I'm not sure if it's the same as regular hair coloring, as it's rather subtle.  It was a pretty giant pain in the butt (did it in the bathtub to not stain anything), but the box of three packets of the stuff was like $20 and it would have been around $80 I think she said to get it done once at a salon.  I'll probably end up helping her with it again.

poppi4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
one thing I've had really good luck with is going to a beauty school to get hair services done.   It's about 1/2 the price of a real salon, the students are supervised, and I've yet to have a bad experience.     Not sure if you have any in your area but its worth trying out.   

payitoff

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
i color my mom's hair all the time, i also did some highlights with my roomates/friends' hair before, just stick to the Loreal's or Clairol's.
if you like to do some highlights, you can just use Reynold's foil and cut them into 3 inch strips, pull a strand of hair, coat it with color and wrap it with foil, this should look familiar to you coz some salon does this, but if its too much for you to do, you can buy this instead, its very easy.,

http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Dain-Bulls-Eye-Tipping/dp/B003YJML9C/ref=sr_1_36?m=AQT18OUQ0NDU8&s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1401392335&sr=1-36

payitoff

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
and dont forget to deep condition your hair once a week, whether its a box color or salon color, its both harmful to the hair, once a week, shampoo, skip your regular conditioner, use coconut oil, put on a shower cap, dance or clean your house to warm your head up for about an hour or so, or sleep on it overnight, its the same as having a hot oil treatment at the salon, with natural heat.

studentdoc2

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
I've had lots of experience coloring my hair -- everything from "normal" colors (usually shades of auburn) to bleaching and dying it bright colors (pink, blue, green, purple....). I've used boxed color for "normal" colors and bought the components separately for bleaching/bright colors. In my opinion, it's ridiculously simple. You can minimize dying your ears or scalp using a layer of conditioner or Vaseline on your skin that you don't want died, but I think it's too much of a hassle. You have to try a few colors to figure out what works well with your natural color, and you don't get the "dimensionality" that you get at a salon, but the price is great. Of course, this is all said as someone with very short hair (<3"), so I'm very relaxed about experimenting with my hair. Hair grows. Whatever you do to it is pretty reversible, given enough time to re-grow it.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
Let it go gray, if you think you'll have a "good" gray. I could tell I would have a nice white/silver (form my dad). I grew  out the roots and cut it short (as part of my Mustachio work last year). 1) So much easier! And no "yuck my roots are showing" 2) Free! 3) I get tons of compliments on my hair now.

Burgis81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 07:18:54 AM »
Thanks for all the great answers!! Beauty school is a great idea, I'll look into it :)

You can purchase color and developer at Sally Beauty. You might be able to get your formula or at least the level of developer your stylist uses on you. Developers are usually multiples of 10, i.e. 10vol, 20vol, etc. If you can get a friend or family member to help you with the color it will be simpler.

This is what I have been looking for! And great link to Sally beauty! What would you ask the salon, like what colors (codes?) are mixed and the multiples (10, 20 vol) of each?

CrazyinVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
The Killer strands blog has a lot of good info on hair coloring if you go the DIY route.
http://killerstrands.blogspot.com

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Thanks for all the great answers!! Beauty school is a great idea, I'll look into it :)

You can purchase color and developer at Sally Beauty. You might be able to get your formula or at least the level of developer your stylist uses on you. Developers are usually multiples of 10, i.e. 10vol, 20vol, etc. If you can get a friend or family member to help you with the color it will be simpler.

This is what I have been looking for! And great link to Sally beauty! What would you ask the salon, like what colors (codes?) are mixed and the multiples (10, 20 vol) of each?

If you are new to DIY hair coloring, I would recommend John Frieda Color Foam. I've been coloring my hair for about 14 years, both DIY and salon done. I love the color foam, its so easy to apply (even the back of the head, which is hard with regular color) and it has great coverage for grey. I like the amount of colors they offer, and they are usually labeled "Salon blends" so they have some tonal variety. I buy mine at Target for $11.99, and usually have a coupon for $3-4 off. I have no problems with damage, wrong colors or skin sensitivity. The gal that used to cut my hair complements how even my color is. I'll never go back to paying a salon for something I can do myself in 45 mins for $12.