Author Topic: Automatic water shut off valve  (Read 2278 times)

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
Automatic water shut off valve
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »
I want to install an automatic water shut off valve for the main water supply to my house, its a ball valve. My insurance will decrease by $35/year, I'm looking for a system that will have a reasonable payback period. After decreasing my electrical and heating bills I decided to focus more on incremetal gains on house insurance, it gets harder every year to save  money (mustashian problem).

I've turned my valve 3 times in 10 years, its not something I worry about operating from my phone. Power acess is fairly near, I have a spare outlet about 6 feet away.

Any suggestions on a system that will satisfy my insurance company? Anything to watch out for?

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Automatic water shut off valve
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Home-Automation-Water-Shut-Off/dp/B01LX3JFR8/ref=pd_sbs_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LX3JFR8&pd_rd_r=PVGTPH1JZEW3EWXNF3EC&pd_rd_w=pGel8&pd_rd_wg=C6r1f&psc=1&refRID=PVGTPH1JZEW3EWXNF3EC

THe Dome Home Automation Water shut off valve seems like it will work ($78.97). Total with acessories is $204

Wih a couple sensors it detects water and turns off the water at the main valve. This is pretty great, payback in 7 years. The SmartThings hub is the expensive part, luckily it can be used with other projects as I make my house smarter (and save money by doing so).

What else should I be looking at for SmartThings?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »
I have a simple manual water shut off on my cabin.   Every time I leave I shut off the breaker to the electric water heater and shut off the water.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:35:28 PM »
@Fishindude I do the same at my house on long trips away. I've never had issues, but being proactive is better than being reactive. The pros of this system is if your water tank bursts while you're at work, plus the insurance discount will pay for it all. It can flip the ball valve for me, or I can tell it to turn.

I ordered it from Amazon, it should be here in a couple weeks. I'll provide an update but it looks fairly straightforwad; spend 15 minutes installing and phone the insurance company after. Of course, this is my first foray into a smart home, I'm wondering if the Samsung Hub will be annoying to set up.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »
Bad news, the arm on the part is 12 cm long and hits a pipe that is at a 90 degree bend above the ball valve. I had 9 cm clearance, so very close. My 2 choices are:
1) return for refund and look for a new unit
2)chop the arm to size

I'm nervous that a chop job will void warranty and in the event it fails ever, cancel any insurance payout. Typically modifying items is a bad idea when it comes to safety/insurance.

Back to shopping. I'm heavily invested in this, its a project I have to finish now. You know when you reach that point on small stuff that you should quit, but you forge on? That's me now. On the plus side, found some stuff from china that may work and I'm learning about aliexpress vs. amazon. Better selection and prices, I've never used ali before so I'm unsure about customer service.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:22:46 PM »
Back to shopping. I'm heavily invested in this, its a project I have to finish now. You know when you reach that point on small stuff that you should quit, but you forge on? That's me now. On the plus side, found some stuff from china that may work and I'm learning about aliexpress vs. amazon. Better selection and prices, I've never used ali before so I'm unsure about customer service.
I've ordered a lot from Aliexpress. I'd say that 99% of it arrived in good order and fit the description. The prices are cheap enough that I consider the return policy to be "throw it in the trash if I don't want it".