Author Topic: clothesline mounted to house?  (Read 9657 times)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
clothesline mounted to house?
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »
So we have a small balcony that we use mostly to house our gas grill. It's maybe ten feet long and six feet deep, and recessed so that the short edges are the walls of the house. I'd like to install a clothesline there, something that we could maybe put away when we're not using it so that we could access the grill. Since it's such a small space, the clothesline would have to be at least tripled or quadrupled to provide enough clothes-drying length. My question is, does anyone have any advice for mounting the clothesline to the house? I am not handy at all so if you do have advice, please don't be afraid to talk down to me. I much appreciate any help in any form.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: clothesline mounted to house?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »
In Australia we have many clotheslines mounted to a house - see http://www.clotheslines.net.au/folding-clotheslines/ for pictures. There are also clotheslines like these available from camping stores - for instance the last item in this list http://www.caravanpro.com.au/products/laundry-on-the-road/clothes-lines-%2b-laundry-accessories?p=2

Each of these can be mounted to the wall using bolts (depends upon the wall what you use).

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:45:12 AM »
I hate to be a killjoy but the clothes line could be an issue with the neighbors and the gas grill is definitely an issue with the Fire Department.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
I hate to be a killjoy but the clothes line could be an issue with the neighbors and the gas grill is definitely an issue with the Fire Department.

Wow, really? Every balcony I know of here (Aus) has a BBQ and a clothesline. I've never heard of a building burning down because someone left their BBQ going.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Firefighters-Battle-Fire-At-The-Pines-Apartments-250904801.html

It's such a common fire cause that many apartments strictly prohibit it.  Perhaps because many Americans lack basic common sense and leave things burning, BBQ too close to combustibles, or let it get out of control.

Anyway, rolando74, do you have wood trim you can screw to to support the clothesline?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »
I think that getting a couple clothes drying racks that you can collapse and put away when you don't need them would be a lot easier than installing a clothes line.  Something like this should be pretty cheap and do what you want:

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
My mother has a similar side porch. She has a row of screw-in loops on each wall, and has several ropes with hooks tied on the ends. When she isn't using it, she unhooks one side and doubles up the rope on one side. Easy peasy.

Like this: http://amomentwithamanda.blogs.gastongazette.com/10052/10052/

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »

Wow, really? Every balcony I know of here (Aus) has a BBQ and a clothesline. I've never heard of a building burning down because someone left their BBQ going.

Well, every country, city, etc. has different laws. I was a fireman in New York City for more than 20 years and I can tell you that both of those items are against the law there. And, yes, I have been to fires that started at a BBQ left unattended on a balcony with the slider left open with drapery flapping in the breeze. the clothesline is illegal because the balcony or fire escape is a secondary means of egress and must remain clear at all times. Virtually impossible to enforce but still the law stuff does happen! Peace
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:20:50 AM by viper155 »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
tmac - thanks!! That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. As I said, I'm not handy, but DH is and I'm sure he could tackle that project easily.

As for the neighbors, well, the balcony faces an alley where people park, store their trash cans, etc. So I doubt the visuals would be a problem.

And as for the grill, I admit I haven't checked the law, but the house was built about 15 years ago and has a gas hookup built in to the balcony. It seems unlikely that the house could have been bought and sold twice if that hookup was illegal, but I guess it's possible.

Thanks everyone!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
And as for the grill, I admit I haven't checked the law, but the house was built about 15 years ago and has a gas hookup built in to the balcony. It seems unlikely that the house could have been bought and sold twice if that hookup was illegal, but I guess it's possible.

For a house it's not illegal.  Homeowners can do what they want, it's their place.  But for apartments and other multi-family dwellings, it might be, or maybe at least against the lease rules.

If you have vinyl siding, be aware that close-by heat over a long time will affect the siding.  Also be aware of the proximity of any overhangs, eaves and soffits.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »

For a house it's not illegal.  Homeowners can do what they want, it's their place. 

Typically not a safe assumption in the US.  This is what zoning and permitting are about.  And then there are HOAs :) .

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
Typically not a safe assumption in the US.  This is what zoning and permitting are about.  And then there are HOAs :) .

Maybe for the clothesline you might be right, but I think the right to BBQ is in the Constitution. :)

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
Maybe for the clothesline you might be right, but I think the right to BBQ is in the Constitution. :)

Haha, right, good point.  The right to consume is protected, it's the right to preserve the environment that's not (sigh)!