Author Topic: Clothes  (Read 18475 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Clothes
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »
I'm going to be honest, I hate shopping. I know I know, I am the only one here that doesn't like to go splurging at the mall on a Friday after noon /s, but I really just don't like trying on clothes or anything. I want to buy some new shoes but each time I have gone I either don't like anything I find, or don't like the price on something I do find. The same goes for jeans, pants, and nice shirts, where do you all shop and any advice for finding things that are fashionable?

I should go with some friends, but the problem is that the friends I have that would go shopping with me to advise me are the types that buy expensive clothes and don't really care for the costs of it. I have told them how much I would be willing to spend and while they nod, it is quickly forgotten and I find them handing me $100 shirts that I would be too scared to wear for fear of spilling on it.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
Re: Clothes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
This describes me to a tee! I have found that shopping for clothes doesnt bug me quite as much when I have a very specific need to fill. Aimless browsing makes me crazy and cranky, but if I know what I need, have a look online, and then hit a few stores that might have it, things go much better.

As for suggestions where, well, that depends on the need. Generally speaking, I buy slightly nicer things for work (middle school teacher) than for summer shorts and tees. For work, I like Loft and Banana Republic; both have very regular sales. For the rest, I wear a lot of stuff from Target and Old Navy, also often on sale. Running gear is my splurge; my running shoes pretty much never get marked down, and they're so awesome I don't think twice about forking over $100/pair. That's money well spent!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
Go to goodwill! Buy everything you like, and you'll still get change back from a $20!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
Are you a man or a woman?

First of all, before buying anything, I would educate your eye. Start reading some fashion blogs (The Sartorialist if you are a guy), check out Tim Gunn's books, and if you are a woman, the books by Trinny and Susannah from the british  What Not to Wear, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinny_and_Susannah#Bibliography. If you are a woman and you have not been paying attention to what you wear, I would recommend theviviennefiles.com and aintnomomjeans.com.

You need to get a sense of fit, proportion, good pieces for your particular body.

Next, figure out what you need clothes for - manual labor? Chasing after kids? Dates? office job? This blogger has a brilliant post on it, comparing it to use cases for programmers:
http://amidprivilege.com/2011/04/perfect-career-wardrobe/
and I also like:
http://amidprivilege.com/2013/03/starting-scratch-wardrobe/

Try to define what you are missing - great jeans? A suit? t-shirts that fit? Make a list of things you need.

Then, go try some clothes on. Book an appointment with a Nordstrom's personal shopper, see what they give you. Does it look good? Why? Pay attention, take pictures. Don't feel you have to buy anything.

Once you know what you need, once you know what will looks good on you, then set a budget and go shop. Casual clothes? Goodwill has a lot, particularly for men.  Nice stuff? Macys and Nordstrom during sales. Be picky!!!!! If you are a woman in the SF Bay Area, Jeremy's and Isda in SF.

You probably need less than you think. The viviennefiles blog is particularly good for showing how a small wardrobe of pieces that all go together can be incredibly versatile.

In summary, go do some research!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice, completely forgot that I should have included this: I am a male, aged 25, single (no kids) that is looking for clothes for an office job that is low manual work. I don't need formal attire for work, I wear jeans and a decent shirt most days, occasionally I am at a trade show in which case I wear black trousers and a nicer than decent shirt. While on dates, I don't really care about showing off clothes, I hope to look nice but I think jeans and the right shirt will look nice on most dates. If we are going to somewhere fancy, like the opera, I will wear nicer clothes. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't want to dress nicer than I dress in normal life for a date.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
Go to the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  Bring a woman.  Come out with a week's worth of nice clothes for $16.  Worked for me.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:22 PM »
OK, so it sounds like you basically want some things you feel good in for dates and maybe for office work? But you don't like to shop, don't know where to shop, or how to shop, right?

I stand by my earlier answer but will opine a bit more :)

Start paying attention to fit, proportion, color. You need to spend some time figuring out what looks good on you and what you like and what size you are! I think American men tend to wear really baggy clothes which looks sloppy. Buy things that fit properly.

You really don't need much, a pair of simple levis, navy wool sweater (v neck or crew), grey and white t-shirts (Hanes, American Apparel, Kirkland), very plain black belt and you are set. Consider picking up some black or grey Converse, a pair of birkenstocks, or a pair of Redwing boots. Done. Need a jacket? Splurge on a Patagonia - they'll repair and replace forever, or an LL Bean peacoat, same great customer service policies.

You could do a lot of that at thrift stores if you have time and if you know your size. If not, go to Macy's when they have a sale and they always have a sale with every holiday. The Bloomingdale's men's merino sweater go way on sale in the fall and are very good quality.

Think simple, monochrome, no logos, cotton or wool. Note, I'm not suggesting you buy much, one sweater, two or three t's, one pair of jeans. But shop mindfully when you do and then wear your clothes to death. You should feel good in them every time you put them on yourself.

(Ha, I feel like I should add a disclaimer that this reflects my particular minimalist point of view, SES, West Coast bias. Depending on where you are, regional trends might need to be incorporated.)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »
I would look for brands that don't change.  For example if you find t-shirts you like by Hanes or Jockey, you can probably buy the exact same thing five years from now.  Not so with American Apparel, so either don't fall in love with a style there or buy a bunch right then.  Check out pants by Dockers, Carhartt, or Dickies, they tend to be durable and predictable so once you find something you like, you can just order it online from then on.

As for cost, maybe you need to expand your comfort zone, particularly if you're satisfied with a small wardrobe.  At what price would you consider a pair of shoes too expensive?

My family uses the cost-per-wear method of figuring.  So we figure it's okay to buy more expensive jeans because you wear them all the time and get a lot of use out of them.  More expensive shirts make less sense.  Etc.

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:16 PM »
I like buying shoes from zappos.com because there's free shipping both ways and they won't hassle you at all about it. I just buy 2-3 different styles usually in 2 sizes each because shoes never fit exactly like I'm expecting. I try them all on when they show up at my house and then pack up all but one pair, print out a return label, and drop if off at the post office or ups. It does take a while for the reimbursement to go through sometimes so be aware of that fact but otherwise I've always been really happy with their service.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:01:51 AM »
Good call on the Zappos, though I have heard that their prices can be higher because they don't discount any of their shoes? Dropping off at UPS isn't an issue because my office has a UPS pickup each day. Do you recommend just getting an army of shoes and then returning anything that doesn't fit or feel right?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
I swear by discount stores such as TJ Maxx and Marshalls.  Once you find a couple of brands/sizes that work for you, you can then stalk them on eBay when you need replacements.

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »
Your time is worth the $5 that Zappos may mark up the shoes.  I buy my husband about 10 pairs when he needs new shoes and he tries them all on; then we send 9 of them back.

Do you have any friends who are girls who would be willing to go shopping with you?  And who would listen to your budget?  A friend's sister/cousin/girlfriend?

Levis make good jeans for the money.  Dark wash, straight leg are best.

For new dress shirts, Lands' End and Costco (Kirkland) have good quality for the money.  Note on these, however, that they are very generously cut, not good for slender guys if you have a slim build.  For more trendy shirts, I would go to Banana Republic sale rack.  If you have more time, definitely hit up a thrift or consignment store (I don't shop at those stores any more...not enough time). 

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
There with you, though I'm older and female.  I quaintly insist that my clothes (pants/skirts) have pockets, which has surprisingly narrowing effects when it comes to what clothes are "available" for women.

I'm something of a Goodwill shopper but don't really recommend it if you can't stand to shop.  I can put up with it sometimes, particularly for tops which I find pretty forgiving in the sizing process.  Pants/jeans/skirts, not so much.  I'll find something perfect in a size other than my own, and unlike a retail store, you can't then look for the right size, and then when I do find some right-size pants they are the wrong color (or fabric, or pocket configuration, or ...).

The solution I've settled on is a work "uniform," which is jeans-style "slacks" plus a t-shirt or tank under a blouse (summer) or sweater (winter).  There's a style/size of Lee Jeans that works well for me (I count anything that's not navy-blue jeans as "slacks"); t's, blouses, and sweaters are pretty easy to come by at Goodwill, or I'll buy a few of a cheap version of the t's/tanks off a clearance table.  Shoes are sandals (summer) or LL Bean clogs (winter), in which I know what size I wear and can just order straight from the catalog and be done with it.

I try to avoid being "in style" and mostly succeed with ease (as anyone who knows me could tell you), though occasionally something "vintage" will come back in and mess up my strategy!

If you identify something that really works for you AND comes in a standard pattern/form, you can also shop for it on Ebay, though even with jeans/slacks I find this a bit tricky, unfortunately.

pop pop!

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »
I'm a 38 year old male, who does not like shopping.  I've spent the past 16 or so years trying to figure out how to look presentable at the office and in social situations while not putting in a lot of effort.  My conclusion: there is an inverse correlation in this area between effort/time and money spent.  So, you have to choose where you're willing to fall along this spectrum.  I have completely bought into the MMM philosophy because I want to retire early, but this is one area where I feel that spending a money on a handful of quality items pays off down the road (and perhaps even saves money, nah I can't really back that up, but you don't have to spend an arm and a leg).  So, if you're willing to spend a little money (more than at Goodwill certainly), then my advice for spending that money wisely is, (1) find a go-to place where you know the clothes will always fit, don't go out of fashion next week, and match your style, and where the staff are available to help you pick out combinations.  (2) Never buy anything unless you know what you will be wearing it with (or you end up with a bunch of crap in your closet that you never wear). And (3) never, ever, buy more than a few items at a time.  This last bit of advice is probably the most important; if you buy a bunch of stuff at once you get caught up in the shopping spree and end up at home scratching your head wondering why you bought that one bright orange shirt and why you thought you needed three pairs of pants that match only one other thing in your closet.  Don't be afraid to take something back, but having to take something back is sub-optimal.

I've never had much luck with thrift store shopping.  My wife has, but I suspect that men keep their clothes until they're rags, whereas women donate their clothes to Goodwill after only one season.  So, the contrast at my local Goodwill between men's and women's clothes couldn't be more stark.  I'm sure that there are exceptions, so you may as well check out your local thrift store. If you liked shopping, Goodwill wouldn't be a bad idea, because you can go there all the time and find that one diamond in the rough and then tweet about it (#Macklemore #popsometags). 

With all that in mind, I use a slightly more expensive, upscale option: Banana Republic.  Their staff are helpful, you can mix-and-match their clothes really easily (you can buy a shirt there today and match it with a sweater you bought there six years ago, it's genius).  They just make it easy for a guy like me to shop.  It's not cheap, but I don't spend that much money on clothes, because I've accumulated everything that I need, and the stuff lasts long enough with gentle use.  BR may not be your style (I'm not sure it was mine when I was 25), but just deciding to do all my shopping there has freed up my weekends to do stuff I care about.  Maybe some other place will work better for you.  The actual store isn't so important as finding one.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to check out Target and the like, but other than gym shorts I've not had any luck buying stuff at Target that lasts very long.  (My gym shorts from Target have lasted 14 years and counting, I think these things were actually made in the USA, that's how old they are.)

This being MMM, people will suggest that you spend your Saturdays scouring all your local Goodwills for clothes (you would certainly spend less money this way), and bring a female friend along (not sure why a female friend, a fashionable male friend is perhaps the better option since he's actually gone shopping for men's clothes before).  But you hate shopping so I suggest that you visit Goodwill once for good measure (maybe your Goodwill kicks my Goodwill's ass), and if that doesn't work out then spend a little money at a store with helpful staff buying something you like and then go spend the rest of your weekend as you normally would (like a bike ride with that female friend that you didn't make go shopping with you).

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
Have you checked out the thrift stores in your area, and are they any good? I used to hate shopping, until I learned a bit about how to dress from putthison.com, spent some time at Goodwill, and found a few great finds. Now I just hate shopping anywhere but thrift stores.

For shoes, isn't Zappos the same price as your local shoe store?

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
Go to goodwill! Buy everything you like, and you'll still get change back from a $20!

Bingo! Love Goodwill. I've gotten casual clothes, work clothes, dressy clothes, and I'm positive that my lifetime total spending there is under $100

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
With all that in mind, I use a slightly more expensive, upscale option: Banana Republic. 

BR routinely sends out 40% off coupons to their mailing list.

(I likewise make a time/money tradeoff with clothing because I hate the activity of clothes shopping, there are few 2nd hand options around me, and I am not a clotheshanger)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
If you're considering Zappos, you might also check ShoeBuy.com.  They seem to be new and trying to compete with Zappos so they have similar shipping and return policies and have a 20% off code for the summer.  Also if you have a Chase card, you can get to their site through the rewards mall and get an extra 10% back.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
Have you checked out the thrift stores in your area, and are they any good? I used to hate shopping, until I learned a bit about how to dress from putthison.com, spent some time at Goodwill, and found a few great finds. Now I just hate shopping anywhere but thrift stores.

For shoes, isn't Zappos the same price as your local shoe store?

I haven't gone to a thrift store for a while, I plan to go this weekend. For Zappos, I'm sure that their prices are the sticker prices like most stores, but when I have bought shoes, it usually either off the clearance rack or on sale (hence the discount). I am going to look at Zappos, I'm sure that sales or clearance items pop up all the time.

On a side note, does anyone buy Cole Haan shoes? I know a lot of people that swear by them.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread, but for shoes, what styles should I be getting? I don't know a lot about fashion, but I would like to buy a few pair for the following purposes

1. Dress shoes for times when I need to wear nice clothes
2. Casual every day nice looking shoes to wear with jeans.
3. Everyday shoes (thinking of boat shoes).
4. _____

Can those that know shoes help recommend what type of shoes to look for? I figure an Oxford should be one of them. Thanks!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread, but for shoes, what styles should I be getting? I don't know a lot about fashion, but I would like to buy a few pair for the following purposes

1. Dress shoes for times when I need to wear nice clothes
2. Casual every day nice looking shoes to wear with jeans.
3. Everyday shoes (thinking of boat shoes).
4. _____

Can those that know shoes help recommend what type of shoes to look for? I figure an Oxford should be one of them. Thanks!

You should only get shoes that coordinate with what you're currently wearing and anticipate wearing in the next 2 months.

1. If you don't wear "nice clothes" now (I'm assuming you mean a suit?), don't get shoes for them -- you will need to coordinate your shoes to your clothes, so don't bother with them until you have a suit that you can coordinate them to (e.g., black suits need black shoes).
2. Yes. Get shoes that match the jeans you wear to work. Aim for comfortable, attractive, and affordable.
3. If your "everyday" is different from your work clothes, then yes. What do you wear on the weekends? Coordinate those clothes with this set of shoes, if necessary. But it's possible that you need 2 pairs of shoes to coordinate with your work clothes; and that those two pairs also coordinate with your weekend wear.
4. I have heard it recommended, and maybe others can chime in, that not wearing the same pair of shoes everyday will extend the life of those shoes beyond just the days you don't wear them. So, if they would otherwise last 1 year, not wearing them everyday will extend their life to 3 years. Not sure if this is actually true, but I do like to switch up my shoes to extend their wear -- although, it's typically because one pair doesn't match all of my clothes.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
1. Black, captoe oxfords for weddings, funerals, etc., that call for a suit.
2. Brown bluchers
3. Some ideas. Plimsolls, boat shoes, camp mocs. If you just stay away from most modern athletic-inspired shoes, you're ahead of 90% of other guys. I like Clark's desert boots in brown suede or beeswax leather.

If you don't want to get black oxfords, considering their limited usefulness, you could easily get away with brown bluchers with a suit these days, unless you're around lawyers or something.

If you don't yet have a suit, keep in mind that it's cheaper to shop sales now than it is to pick up something last minute. Get a mid-to-dark grey suit, and it will work for everything that calls for a suit. If you protect it from moths and control your weight, you might only ever need one suit.

Before you start buying nice shoes, double-check your shoe size. I wear shoes 1.5 sizes smaller than I used to because I had my feet measured 2 years ago.

Learn to take care of your shoes. Even a cheap leather shoe (as long as it's full-grain leather) will look remarkable after a shine.

StarryC

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
I think you need 2 pairs of shoes to wear to work every day (i.e. Monday wear shoe A, Tuesday wear shoe B).  Your shoes will last more than twice as long this way and if one set fails you, you can still go to work.  I'd pick something that looks like this: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-essential-details-wp-slip-on-black

It seems to be what a lot of guys I know wear with office work clothes and jeans.   Of course, actual men might have better suggestions for brand.  I'm just saying a simple slip on loafer without a lot of detail. I think this could also work with "nice clothes" other than a formal suit.

I also think a pair of converse/ vans/ Toms or similar low profile more casual canvas shoe is useful. 

So, perhaps 5 pairs: Flip flops if you are the type to wear them in the summer, Dress shoes if you ever have weddings/ funerals/ suit events (like velocistar linked to), 2 pairs of leather office & jeans shoes, and a pair of more casual shoes.  You might need specialty shoes if you run or play basketball or hike or do construction work. 

In the alternative, become a cowboy: My dad has 2 pairs of shoes- work boots (Redwing) and dress boots (Justin) but he doesn't own a suit, khakis, shorts, or athletic clothes.  You'd probably have to invest in a winter and summer hat to pull it off.  It's a limited style option. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »
I got a gorgeous pair of brown Allen Edmonds off ebay for like $90. I'm never buying new dress shoes again.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
Some may think this may be antimustachian, but I think when it comes to shoes, don't get el cheapo ones. Nice, a little more expensive ones, will last years for your purpose and so will be cheaper in the long run. It's also so important that they are comfortable! (Many women have never learned this "comfortable" part of the equation. P.s., I'm a woman) Every foot is different, but Merrell makes a nice black shoe that is good for dressing up and also casual for jeans, and since they also make hiking shoes, they may be more comfortable than others. My boyfriend likes them, anyway. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Product.mvc.aspx/21704M/47095?CID=MAR-mkwid-3hF0hO8i-PLA--26452378925--S-Brand-Merrell

Clothes, like everybody else says, Goodwill. Get a couple of things you truly like, and then you won't have to go shopping again for a long time :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:58:14 AM by pirate_wench »

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
REI.com. They have nice pants and shirts and if you buy from the outlet part of their website, you can get great prices. The shirts and pants will last for a really long time. Once you know your size, you shouldn't have any issues ordering. Plus it's free shipping and if you have a store in your area, you can return the clothes directly to the store. They have great shoes too.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »
First, I totally agree with the other posts that suggest taking some time out to determine what looks good on you (are you short/tall, slim, pudgy, short waisted, short legs but tall torso).

For office attire, it sounds like you can get away with some sort of 'slacks' - flat fronts are considered much more stylish than pleats, especially at your age.  Get a couple basic light and dark colors in a medium weight so you can wear them year round (cords also work well and can be dressed up or down).

Then look for good quality polo-style shirts, or button-ups that don't wrinkle or have to be dry-cleaned!  Consider pullover styles with a zipper instead of polos for variety (Macy's has a great Men's department)

To make it easy, wear light colored shirts with dark pants, and vice-a-versa; unless you think you can master the mono-chrome look.  Stay away from the boring and predictable beige pants with blue shirt (sorry, I know I just offended every guy who works in an office!)

For your age, I would consider shopping at Express for Men - the clothes are stylish, reasonably priced, and the sales people will do all the work for you.  Really good for date clothes.

Another place to try is the outlet malls.  Here you can get brand names like Perry Ellis and Calvin Klein for $15 - $30 for shirts - good quality and reasonable prices.

As for date clothes, I generally would suggest that your date clothes should reflect that you actually put a little effort into your appearance.  i.e. you cared.  They should not look like you're going to your boring office job!  All that is needed is to pick a trendier shirt that you wouldn't wear to the office (Express is good for this).  Oh, and be sure to have a clean car when you pick a girl up for a date - another way to show that you cared enough to make an effort.  (sorry, I know this isn't a Miss Manners column).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
Yeah, for the office it has been really hot in here and even with the A/C it is very hot. We all have been wearing shorts this week and no one has said anything. I have been wearing a short-sleeve polo each day and seem to be fine.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »
I do really like Polos, so will be going to Target to check out theirs and other places to see how good their quality is. I like they way they look and how versatile they are.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
No matter what you wear, make sure it fits. For example, it's common for guys to buy shirts that are too wide, both in the shoulders and in the waist.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
On a side note, does anyone buy Cole Haan shoes? I know a lot of people that swear by them.

Yes. I bought a pair of Cole Haan. They lasted for 6-8 years and still felt smooth as butter on the inside. They even lasted my walking through ankle-deep water when I got caught in a storm on the edge of a hurricane. I gave them away with great reluctance only because they were looking a little worn. Merrells are great too.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 05:20:02 AM »
Following this, because I really need help for my work clothes. I'd love to hear from those of you who are hard to find sizes, as I have tried Goodwill & various thrift stores, consignment stores, and I cannot find my sizes at all. I end up scouring Target clearance & while it's relatively cost effective for new clothes, they do not hold up & are not worth wearing to work after about a season. I don't know anyone who is my size in clothing or shoes.

I'm a teacher & I am 35 years old, I'm 5 foot 2 (on a good day), I weigh 102 lbs, I have a 25 inch waist, a very short torso, and a 28 inch inseam. I wear size 5 shoes in women's.

Basically, I need petite sized clothes for work that last well, look professional/classic (I don't do trendy) & I need a good pair of black shoes that I can stand in for 7 hours.

Sorry to threadjack, but I'd love to hear where those of you who wear less common sizes find your work clothes for an office/business casual setting.

freeree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »
First of all, before buying anything, I would educate your eye. Start reading some fashion blogs (The Sartorialist if you are a guy), check out Tim Gunn's books, and if you are a woman, the books by Trinny and Susannah from the british  What Not to Wear, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinny_and_Susannah#Bibliography. If you are a woman and you have not been paying attention to what you wear, I would recommend theviviennefiles.com and aintnomomjeans.com.

You need to get a sense of fit, proportion, good pieces for your particular body.

Due to yo-yo'ing weight throughout my life, I've always had three different wardrobes at any one time. For the past few years I've been concentrating on fitness, and trying to eat mindfully. Hopefully, I can reach a point where I embrace me, and my appearance, so I can put some effort into looking nice.

I've always envied women who look 'put together' and polished, and acknowledge the effort it must take. Do you recommend any 'baby steps' for someone who's not a total slob, but has years of ingrained habits to overcome? I'm in my late 50's and wondering if I should give up and embrace sweats as my uniform (joking, sort of).

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Following this, because I really need help for my work clothes. I'd love to hear from those of you who are hard to find sizes, as I have tried Goodwill & various thrift stores, consignment stores, and I cannot find my sizes at all. I end up scouring Target clearance & while it's relatively cost effective for new clothes, they do not hold up & are not worth wearing to work after about a season. I don't know anyone who is my size in clothing or shoes.

I'm a teacher & I am 35 years old, I'm 5 foot 2 (on a good day), I weigh 102 lbs, I have a 25 inch waist, a very short torso, and a 28 inch inseam. I wear size 5 shoes in women's.

Basically, I need petite sized clothes for work that last well, look professional/classic (I don't do trendy) & I need a good pair of black shoes that I can stand in for 7 hours.

Sorry to threadjack, but I'd love to hear where those of you who wear less common sizes find your work clothes for an office/business casual setting.

I'm 5 ft even with short legs. I get a lot of clothes from Sierra Trading Post. They have a lot of outdoor stuff, but also a good (and ever-changing) selection of women's clothes that are business casual. The discounts are genuine and usually quite good. They have a great return policy if something doesn't work out--I've never had a problem.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
My husband could have written this. This is what his wardrobe looks like:

- 6 identical pairs of Lee Relaxed Straight Leg Jeans in a dark wash (he decided on this fit after trying on approximately three pairs in the store... about his limit for trying on clothes... and then we ordered them on Amazon for less than $25/pair)
- 2 pairs of Dockers flat front, relaxed fit pants in charcoal and tan
- A dozen Carhartt K87 work shirts in various neutral tones
- 1 package of Kirkland white t-shirts from Costco
- 6 Stafford wrinkle-free button up shirts from JC Penney in neutral colors
- 1 Eddie Bauer knit sweaters in cream and light gray
- 1 charcoal gray wool suit (from a recent round of interviews)
- 1 black belt
- 2 identical pairs of Columbia hiking shoes
- 1 pair of black loafers
- Assorted work boots

That's it. I think the theme is find something you like and just buy enough of them to get you through the week.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »
I don't wear an odd size, but I'm not down to dedicate an hour to dig through racks of clothing.  I use ThreadUp and eBay.  I set a search up on eBay, and I receive an e-mail when something that I'm looking for pops up.  I definitely pay more than an item would cost at Goodwill, but I also spend very little time shopping.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »

I'm 5 ft even with short legs. I get a lot of clothes from Sierra Trading Post. They have a lot of outdoor stuff, but also a good (and ever-changing) selection of women's clothes that are business casual. The discounts are genuine and usually quite good. They have a great return policy if something doesn't work out--I've never had a problem.

Thanks for the info, Noralenderbee. I will check out Sierra Trading Post.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »

STP is the same parent company as TJ Maxx and Marshalls, which tend to have a reasonable selection of petites clothing in store and even better online! Burlington (formerly Coat Factory) and Ross are similar types of discount stores, but Ross doesn't have online and IMO tends to be lower-quality (ok for some things though...I like their dresses selection, actually! And $15 slightly-irregular jeans when they fit...)

ThredUp is good fun, but it annoys me that return shipping is only free if you take store credit vs cash... Also, it definitely helps to know what major boutique and department store brands you tend to like, and what sizes you are in them.

If you aren't likely to be tempted, being on the email list of boutique brands you like (Ann Taylor? Banana Republic? Express? Talbots? GAP?) can alert you to the 40-60% off sales that actually bring their clothes into "reasonable for dress clothes" category for me.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »

STP is the same parent company as TJ Maxx and Marshalls, which tend to have a reasonable selection of petites clothing in store and even better online! Burlington (formerly Coat Factory) and Ross are similar types of discount stores, but Ross doesn't have online and IMO tends to be lower-quality (ok for some things though...I like their dresses selection, actually! And $15 slightly-irregular jeans when they fit...)

ThredUp is good fun, but it annoys me that return shipping is only free if you take store credit vs cash... Also, it definitely helps to know what major boutique and department store brands you tend to like, and what sizes you are in them.

If you aren't likely to be tempted, being on the email list of boutique brands you like (Ann Taylor? Banana Republic? Express? Talbots? GAP?) can alert you to the 40-60% off sales that actually bring their clothes into "reasonable for dress clothes" category for me.

Do you have a pretty good sense of your style/what you're looking to purchase?

Ann Taylor and Loft have good options for petites, as does Banana Republic.  As mentioned above get on the email lists and watch for the sales, they happen on seemingly random days during the season (not necessarily end of season sales).  Also check out Nordstrom's lines like Halogen - Their site is really easy to navigate to find the right size items to choose from.

Building a petites wardrobe through shopping at thrift/goodwill/thread-up could probably be done, but sounds torturous to me -- that seems like it would take a lot of time.

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 03:48:11 AM »
Shopping is the very boring part of life.
But i feel shopping is a huge responsibility.
Oh! Jesus save me from shopping. As shopping involves lots of baggage carry. I hate carrying the luggage.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!