Author Topic: clothes that fit: pants  (Read 7832 times)

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
clothes that fit: pants
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »

I've had a long-term problem with the fit of pants.  Apparently, I have thick legs (and butt?) and a normal waist.  If I buy jeans in size 34 waist, the legs will be tight.  Size 36 fit a little better, but then I'm wearing a belt and they bunch up on my waist.  34 "relaxed" fit is better, but still usually requires a belt.

Maybe it's a stretch (intended, ha!), but are there pants that are relatively narrow waisted, but cut more freely everywhere else?

(I tried googling this, but it mostly lead to sites talking about $100 jeans, which apparently are available in this sort of fit.)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: clothes that fit: pants
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
Maybe someone will have a brand suggestion, but... Buy quality pants that fit in the hips and thighs and have them tailored. Some things are worth the money, and well-fitting pants are one of them IMO!

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
I used to have sort of the same problem.

Buy pants that fit you through the leg (They should be close to the skin but not skin-tight), and have the waist taken in. Pretty cheap, usually.

I agree with the poster above that quality pants are well worth the money. The difference is huge.

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »
I don't know about jeans, but for more traditional clothes I'd check local tailor. Most alterations here  (San Francisco) cost $25 - your area might be cheaper.
PS: An average suit which fits looks much better on you than expensive one which doesn't, so going to tailor IS mustachian :D

piffle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »
Ok, pants are one of the things that I actually pay good money to get good quality.  I get Prana Axiom jeans for about $70 a pair.  Yes that is a lot for jeans, but they are ridiculously comfortable.  They are 1% spandex so they stretch instead of bind, plus they have a gusseted crotch so they don't... bind up (I'm sure you know what I mean).  These are awesome for actually moving around in.  Hiking, rock climbing, around the house construction-y stuff.  Really nice being able to actually move in jeans instead of being all constricted.

Duluth Trading also makes some comfy stuff supposedly, but I haven't tried them.  Look for their Ballroom (hah) line, and look for the ones that are the Flex (also 1% spandex, so stretchy).  These are like $55 a pair.

You can try Prana jeans at REI if there is one near you.  If not, you can return clothes on Amazon very easily if you don't like them, so buy a pair and give them a go if you want.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Ok, pants are one of the things that I actually pay good money to get good quality.  I get Prana Axiom jeans for about $70 a pair.  Yes that is a lot for jeans, but they are ridiculously comfortable.  They are 1% spandex so they stretch instead of bind, plus they have a gusseted crotch so they don't... bind up (I'm sure you know what I mean).  These are awesome for actually moving around in.  Hiking, rock climbing, around the house construction-y stuff.  Really nice being able to actually move in jeans instead of being all constricted.

Duluth Trading also makes some comfy stuff supposedly, but I haven't tried them.  Look for their Ballroom (hah) line, and look for the ones that are the Flex (also 1% spandex, so stretchy).  These are like $55 a pair.

You can try Prana jeans at REI if there is one near you.  If not, you can return clothes on Amazon very easily if you don't like them, so buy a pair and give them a go if you want.

This is interesting and it make sense.  (I had assumed Prana only made women's clothes - they are common wear for yoga.) 

I also had no idea that tailoring still exists!  Or was relatively inexpensive.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »
For tailoring, you could check out the ZTailors app (www.ztailors.com).

It schedules a tailor to come to your door.  In your chosen location (they will visit home or work, whatever is convenient for you), they measure you and your clothes that need tailoring.  Then they disappear with your clothes, tailor them, and bring them back.

I haven't tried it, just saw a video.  Probably isn't everywhere yet!  Apparently it's the new thing - "Uber for tailoring!" - from the guy who started Men's Wearhouse.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 01:44:45 PM »
look for some lucky 181s on sale ($80 not on sale). I hear they have them at marshalls sometimes. Levis 541 might be a good option too.

With dress pants go for the dockers D4, I recommend khols. Love those pants.

Unless you're an IFBB professional bodybuilder with quads bigger than your waist, tailoring is most likely not necessary
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:47:28 PM by stlbrah »

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »
Duluth Trading Company has some wide legged / loose fitting clothes.  They also do the "crouch without the ouch" crotch gusset thing.  its amazing. 

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 11:53:13 PM »
If you are a difficult shape to fit with off the rack clothes, definitely go meet your local tailor.

I rarely can get pants to fit without some tailoring involved. But the benefit is, you will look more streamlined (I look like I've lost 5 pounds immediately!)and cheap trousers can look more expensive if the fit is good.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 08:54:35 PM »
  I get Prana Axiom jeans for about $70 a pair.  Yes that is a lot for jeans, but they are ridiculously comfortable. 

Prana Axiom for the win! Yes! By far the best jeans I've ever found. Paid $80 or so for my 1st pair, and within days promptly order 2 more pair for a bit cheaper online. Now they are the only jeans I wear. For the muscular thighed, bad ass mustachian bikers we all are (right?!), the fit and flex to these jeans cannot be beat.

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »
Try Wranglers 13MWZ original fit. The typical cowboy jean.

Buy it in Rigid Indigo. On Amazon can often get it for 25 dollars.

These jeans have room for butt and thighs, but come in at the waist. I lift but am thin, so I have a small waist and large, meaty thighs. I buy those jeans, soak them to get the shrink out, bring them to a tailor for 15 dollars bring the boot cut in so they don't flare anymore.

40 Dollars for a great pair of pants that fit well and last a LONG time.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »

Just to come back to this - wow.  Thanks for recommending Prana.  They fit amazingly, and they work well for an active lifestyle!  And so far, they seem relatively tough.

They also seem to look pretty good, almost like a wool material (although it's a synthetic).

The only minor thing is that they aren't quite as windproof as a thick pair of jeans, but OTOH, they can easily be layered with long underwear.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 11:48:47 AM »
I wear Levi's 541's for jeans. They are supposedly the athletic fit (though I'm not sure how athletic I am anymore). I wish they still made the Silver Tabs I used to wear in college.

When I look at my legs I've never thought of them as looking "big", but apparently they are since I can't seem to fit in many of the jeans they make today.  I've also always had a prominent rump and even if I do somehow get my thighs into them, my ass usually doesn't fit. And I'm a 36 so don't have a skinny waist.

It's a damn shame that pleated pants are considered for old men, because they provide so much more thigh room than the flat front style that is almost a requirement today.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
you can also tailor them yourself! :)

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
My husband has a similar build and I get his pants from Eddie Bauer. I buy talls (he's 6'2'').  Not only are the legs longer, the rise is longer and the butt and thighs a bit roomier.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
I think that there is nothing like clothes that really fit right for looking and feeling great. It is so much better to have one quality something that fits well than buying more and more things hoping to find something that looks good.

If you ever have a chance to travel to Asia I highly recommend having clothes custom made. My husband gets all of his dress shirts there when on business travel and there is a very noticeable difference in how good the custom-made ones look. Instead of looking like a thick-neck, short-armed monkey trying to dress up he looks like the slim, fit, handsome man that he is. :)

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
I've come the the conclusion that most men's clothing is made for people who eat at McDonald's every day.  I've been looking for a pair of off the rack pants that actually fit for about 6 months.  Still haven't found one.