Author Topic: clothes drying rack  (Read 3466 times)

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
clothes drying rack
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:26:33 AM »
What type of clothes drying rack can you suggest? Also, how many racks would a family of four need? Thanks much!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: clothes drying rack
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »

sser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
I've had one of the wooden collapsing racks for years, which works well for delicate.

If you have a shower curtain rod (or something else to hang it off of), I love this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060JIP98?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Also have three of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TFRDCE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
They are not the most sturdy, but get the job done and fold up nicely for storage if you have limited space.

I also tend to smooth out and hang up anything that won't get stretched out (so work shirts, some tank tops and dresses, skirts, pants) and usually do not have to iron them after.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »
I hang pants and shirts on hangers in the closet to dry.  I don't have a lot of clothes so there is plenty of room for air to circulate around them.  I use one of the folding wooden ones to dry socks, towels, etc.  In the winter it might take a couple of days for towels to dry because I keep my heat quite low so I make sure I don't need to wash again for a couple of days.  For a family of four I would just plan on washing one load a day so there is just a constant rotation of items.  When I was a kid on the farm we didn't have a dryer and my mother would hang laundry outside in the summer and in the winter she had a couple of lines strung across the unfinished basement.  There were 10 in my family so there was a lot of laundry.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
I hang pants and shirts on hangers in the closet to dry. I don't have a lot of clothes so there is plenty of room for air to circulate around them.  I use one of the folding wooden ones to dry socks, towels, etc.  In the winter it might take a couple of days for towels to dry because I keep my heat quite low so I make sure I don't need to wash again for a couple of days.  For a family of four I would just plan on washing one load a day so there is just a constant rotation of items.  When I was a kid on the farm we didn't have a dryer and my mother would hang laundry outside in the summer and in the winter she had a couple of lines strung across the unfinished basement.  There were 10 in my family so there was a lot of laundry.

I'm guessing that works better in Nevada than further east. I can't imagine the biohazard I'd create in my closet doing that regularly.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »
I hang pants and shirts on hangers in the closet to dry. I don't have a lot of clothes so there is plenty of room for air to circulate around them.  I use one of the folding wooden ones to dry socks, towels, etc.  In the winter it might take a couple of days for towels to dry because I keep my heat quite low so I make sure I don't need to wash again for a couple of days.  For a family of four I would just plan on washing one load a day so there is just a constant rotation of items.  When I was a kid on the farm we didn't have a dryer and my mother would hang laundry outside in the summer and in the winter she had a couple of lines strung across the unfinished basement.  There were 10 in my family so there was a lot of laundry.

I'm guessing that works better in Nevada than further east. I can't imagine the biohazard I'd create in my closet doing that regularly.

I'm sure you're right.  It also helps that I only have eight pair of pants, ten shirts, and a couple dresses.  Oh, and the closet doesn't have doors so no worries about mold and mildew. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!