Author Topic: Clip on aero bars for bikes . . .  (Read 9234 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Clip on aero bars for bikes . . .
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »
 . . . anybody use them?  I'm thinking of getting some cheap ones and sticking them on my winter bike to get under the wind on my commute.  My biggest concern is, how do I mount my headlight, as the aero bar seems to eat up most of the bike cockpit once installed.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Re: Clip on aero bars for bikes . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
I would install a light on the front tip of the aerobars.  Personally I'd hard mount them on - you could really get hurt if those suckers come loose and you are in aero position - hitting gravel or bumps,etc.  Shuddering at thought of clip ons. . 

That said, I believe my aero bars gave me 2mph to 4mph improvement.  On the flats with with good visibility they are great. When I road biked I LOVED them.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »
oh my god no

Trirod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
I have them on my triathlon bike (definitely helps there) but have never bothered with my regular "going to the store" bike.  I might consider it if I had a long commute - it would definitely save some time/energy. There's plenty of room for a front light still on the handlebars (some of my training rides are done early in the morning and I need lights then).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
oh my god no

:P

Yeah, people at my bike store seem to hate aero bars too . . .

My commute is a little over 11 miles each way.  In the winter around here it's much windier than in the summer.  Several times last year I biked to work with 50 kph winds, which gets kinda miserable.  On the long, flat sections of the ride I've been just resting my forearms on the handlebars and keeping my head an inch above my arms . . . this makes it way easier to maintain speed in the wind, but hurts my forearms and isn't terribly secure, hence the idea to use the aero bars. . . seems like the ideal way to use them.

By clip on ones, I mean the ones that are bolted on . . . like bar ends.  Not some kind of plasticy clip!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
that's what drop bars are for

aero bars aren't going to be appreciably more stable than elbows-on-the-flats

TrMama

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
I have some. They're in a bag waiting for me to list them on Craigslist. I used them when I did longer triathlons, but I hate them.

I no longer race and pretty much just use the bike for commuting. I hate that they make the steering squirrely and put your hands where you can't reach the brakes.

If you do this, definitely check Craigslist for a used set.

I also wouldn't use them in the dark or anytime the road is slick, so don't worry about mounting your headlight.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »
My winter bike is a hybrid with flat bars/bar ends.  I'm just looking for another hand position/hoping to be able to duck under the heavy wind more comfortably.  I'm not going to be on them in stop and go traffic, and would just move my hands to the regular bars if I felt unsteady.

Not hearing a lot of love for them.  Are aero bars really that terrible for this purpose?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
Any difference between the ones that form a loop:

vs the ones that are just two bars:

or are they all pretty much the same?  I figure with the loop ones I could probably mount the light at the top of the loop. . .

TrMama

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
The two separate bars version is more adjustable since the bars can obviously move independently of each other. They're also usually more expensive.

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
Not recommended.  The aero bars are meant for a TT bike sitting position that is more butt forward.  You may just give yourself more lower back pain than anything else.  I second just using the drop bars.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
While it would be preferable to use drop bars, the bike I use for winter riding is a hybrid bike with flat bars.  Moving to drops would require new brake levers, shifters, replacing my v-brakes (or use of some kind of pulley to change amount of cable pull).  I'm looking for a 20-30$ option, not a couple hundred.

Mr One Wheel Drive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
I love aero bars. Totally worth it.

If you run out of space on your handlebars for your light, bell, phone, camera, cup holder and other accessories, mount a second stem below your current one (might have to raise current handle bars) and put a bit of dowel.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
I'm looking for a 20-30$ option, not a couple hundred.

framesaver your touring bike; ride that

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
Not hearing a lot of love for them.  Are aero bars really that terrible for this purpose?

on a regular day, pretty bad still but as long as you keep away from anything or anyone that could require you to make sudden changes in direction (e.g. other cyclists with aero bars teehee) you could be alright. for high wind days on questionable road conditions? certainly. you will be a danger to yourself

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »
I'm looking for a 20-30$ option, not a couple hundred.

framesaver your touring bike; ride that

I can't work to STI levers with ski gloves on!  :P   The little lever gets stuck on the extra glove material. . .

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
I've thought about getting or making some for my hybrid, but interested to see so much negativity towards them.

What about bar-ends? Gives you an alternate hand position and is certainly safer than forearms resting on the bar.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »
I use bar ends set at about where the hoods on my road bike are. They're more comfortable but don't really help too much with the wind or getting low.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 02:21:03 AM »
I'm in the process of switching the flat bars on my hybrid to touring bars (butterfly). Well worth considering.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
I'm in the 'love aerobars' camp.  When I commuted into to work on my roadbike, I'd be in my aerobars maybe 70% of the time, wind or no wind (unless I was drafting someone - then of course not in aerobars). 

As for back pain - do yoga and be very conscious of how you are holding your torso.  Tighten your stomach muscles and lengthen up through your back and keep your shoulder blades down.  Do not even consider aero bars unless you are willing to be very diligent with your form. 

I never got back pain from aero bars - in fact, having the extra position available to me allowed me to go on long rides and never get back pain.  Good luck.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!