Author Topic: Citi AAdvantage credit card bonus miles  (Read 1038 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Citi AAdvantage credit card bonus miles
« on: February 09, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »
Has anyone opened any Citi AAdvantage credit cards lately?  My question is this.  I churned and closed the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select card two years ago.  I'm interested in now opening the non-business version (Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite).  My question is whether I'll be eligible for the bonus miles if I do. 

Citi AAdvantage cards switched over to a 48 month application rule a while back, but their language less than clear.  The card I want has the following eligibility language:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.

Does anyone know if this language includes the business cards?  Has anyone successfully gotten the bonuses for both the business and non-business cards within a 48 month window? 

Thanks!

Jorey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Citi AAdvantage credit card bonus miles
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 06:09:28 AM »
Haven't done this but would recommend asking at r/churning, you may get a more informed answer there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:04 AM »
I think personal vs business cards are still considered separate, in terms of the 48-month window  I’d read the latest at FlyerTalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers.html

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »
Thank you both kindly!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 09:42:55 AM »
I think personal vs business cards are still considered separate, in terms of the 48-month window  I’d read the latest at FlyerTalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers.html

Can confirm.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »
Nice!  Thanks

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »
Go ahead and open the personal you will get the bonus points.  FYI AA did crack down last year on folks that had churned multiple business and personal accounts.  These people where on the grAAvy Train and citi wasn't enforcing their own rules.  AA stepped in and shut a lot of accounts down.  People lost millions of point and if you had booked a flight with those points they just canceled your tickets didn't matter if you where in the middle of vacation or not.  If your situation you are totally fine to get a personal citi card.  If you need even more AA points don't forget you get business AA and personal AA cards with Barclay also.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
I've done it.. personal and business are definitely different or at least they were last year

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 12:50:29 AM »
Thanks @Duke03 — very interesting to hear about the heavy churners. I’m more of a slow motion churner haha — one to two cards per year.  Yes I did the Barclay AA personal card, but I forgot about the business one. Good catch and thanks.   

And thanks @Rdy2Fire – that’s what I was hoping for, someone who’s succeeded lately.