Author Topic: Chromebook Compatability for Word/Office 365?  (Read 1317 times)

ebella

• Stubble
Chromebook Compatability for Word/Office 365?
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:32:46 PM »
So I recently left a job and am without a laptop while I search for new work.  I have a Chromebook (which is fine for internet things and some very basic cover letter and resume formatting) but I really do need Word to better format resumes and writing things for publication or if I decide to start working as a freelancer.  I'd like to avoid buying a new laptop right now while funds are tight and have heard that Microsoft 365 work with Chromebooks.  I have a 2017 Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431 and an thinking of getting a 1 yr subscription to Microsofit 365 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-365-personal-1-person-12-month-subscription-auto-renew-android-chrome-mac-windows-ios-digital/6258027.p?skuId=6258027) from Best Buy because I have a $50 Best Buy online credit with my Amex which would make it only $20.
Has anyone tried this and knows if it will work?  Or, conversely, has anyone with a similar Chromebook found a way to use Word?  Or should I just bite the bullet and use the BestBuy credit to get a new laptop and, if so, which one? I also have a $100 off $500 credit I could use at Dell. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Chromebook Compatability for Word/Office 365?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
Have you tried the free online version of Word (and the rest of the Office suite) at www.office.com? I have been using it for a while and it's more than sufficient for my needs.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:08:21 AM by solon »

ebella

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 03:08:59 PM »
Yeah I don't love it though for formatting.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 08:39:11 PM »
My boyfriend uses a Chromebook when we travel, and he needs to buy a (short) subscription to the Microsoft Office app for the time we're away. Be warned that it's not exactly the same as normal word, so it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with it before hand so you're not figuring out the differences while on a deadline.

I also use a Chromebook for my day to day stuff (not work), and have been very happy with it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 12:15:09 AM »
Your options are to either use the online Office, use the Android version of Office, or maybe install the Linux version of LibreOffice if you're keen on getting your hands dirty (and if your CB supports Linux apps).

If you need the full-fat Office app, then it's probably time to buy a Windows machine :)

If it's for resumes, can you export them from Google Docs as a PDF and send that through?

ebella

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 11:18:05 AM »
Your options are to either use the online Office, use the Android version of Office, or maybe install the Linux version of LibreOffice if you're keen on getting your hands dirty (and if your CB supports Linux apps).

If you need the full-fat Office app, then it's probably time to buy a Windows machine :)

If it's for resumes, can you export them from Google Docs as a PDF and send that through?

yeah i can but i can;t do as much nice stuf with fomatting.  so far it's been ok but not as spiffy as i'd like.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:34:49 AM »
I've got a Chromebook that I use for the Outlook portion of O365 and that part is fine.  At work we're full O365 and a number of people use Chrome on Windows with O365 Word with no issues, so I'd expect that a Chromebook running Chrome would also be just fine although I can't say I've tested it to be 100% certain.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 08:31:41 PM »

yeah i can but i can;t do as much nice stuf with fomatting.  so far it's been ok but not as spiffy as i'd like.

Well how important is that? If it's for personal use, can you reformat it?

If you're planning on using it to earn an income and having the formatting perfectly match with Office on Windows is important to you, then honestly it's time to buy a Windows machine and install Office.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »

Well how important is that? If it's for personal use, can you reformat it?

If you're planning on using it to earn an income and having the formatting perfectly match with Office on Windows is important to you, then honestly it's time to buy a Windows machine and install Office.

This. I was a freelance editor (and now full-time editor) for years, and Word (and Excel and PowerPoint) have always been required by all of my clients and my employer. In fact, one of our freelancers recently tried to get away with using LibreOffice rather than use a computer compatible with MSOffice. The resulting file couldn’t be opened by the proofreader or two managers, and once someone finally found a program that would open it, the file conversion caused some significant issues with formatting. It was extremely unprofessional on the part of the freelancer and wasted a lot of people’s time.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
This. I was a freelance editor (and now full-time editor) for years, and Word (and Excel and PowerPoint) have always been required by all of my clients and my employer. In fact, one of our freelancers recently tried to get away with using LibreOffice rather than use a computer compatible with MSOffice. The resulting file couldn’t be opened by the proofreader or two managers, and once someone finally found a program that would open it, the file conversion caused some significant issues with formatting. It was extremely unprofessional on the part of the freelancer and wasted a lot of people’s time.

I agree with both Dean's and your point, right tools for the job and everything... but I also feel like your anecdote is either very dated or there was a lot more going on in terms of PEBKAC and Microsoft's past thumbing of standards compliance with the freelancer in question that possibly wouldn't have been fixed by them just using MS Office. (Which means this is relevant to the OP, as well.) Microsoft has supported opening and saving ODF 1.2 in their own special way since Office 2013, and Microsoft's OOXML and MOX document standards have been implemented and supported to the best of TDF's ability in LibreOffice for years now.

Say what you will about compatibility and formatting consistency between the products, but I've never found it to be show-stopper levels of different in basic documents (especially if the user is mindful of this), and the difference level is typically all minor formatting details that frequently get wonked up anyway even between MS Office major revisions, their online versus full versions, and their Windows versus OSX releases, as well as LibreOffice's own quirky formatting inconsistencies between even their own Windows/Linux/OSX releases. This is why PDF is a thing, and anyone expecting formatting consistency with an editable document between systems is insane, which is why all text editors operate on a horseshoes and hand grenades model of formatting and rendering. This isn't to say that Office hasn't done some gnarly things to bulletpoints and the like on ODF import to exert it's 800lb gorilla status with users, but that sort of thing is easily mitigated by not sending ODT files to Office users in the first place and just exporting it to the same file format you got to begin with, DOCX. To be as hosed and difficult to use as you're suggesting would indicate a level of incompetence on the freelancer's part above and beyond the typical formatting issues, even a decade ago.

If the level of detailed formatting capability that's needed is so high that even the difference between O365 and desktop is a showstopper, then Ebella is using the wrong program for what needs to be done, and should be using InDesign, Quark, LucidPress, Scribus, or even Publisher for layout and formatting using embedded fonts before exporting to PDF or sending to a printer... but they shouldn't be using Word. Just because Word has the tools to do basic layout doesn't make Word a publishing editor. It's a good enough tool for simple documents for people who don't know how to use real publishing software which means they have to accept a certain level of fudge in its layout, and if expectations aren't in line with that reality, then perhaps expectations need to be readjusted.