Author Topic: Chrome volume won't respond to keystrokes anymore  (Read 1140 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Chrome volume won't respond to keystrokes anymore
« on: December 12, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
Howdy intelligent, tech-savvy and attractive Mustachians! I hope someone can help with an incredibly frustrating problem I've encountered in the last few days. Not only has the behavior changed, but I've had no luck searching for a solution. Many search results are 2-8 years old, or just don't address the problem I'm having. Maybe I just don't know the right terms to search for.

When I use the volume up/down keys on my keyboard, the volume of anything in a Chrome window does not change (Netfix, Spotify and YouTube, mainly). This is different from what would have happened earlier this week. I noticed the change at least on Friday, maybe on Thursday. I can still use the volume sliders in the apps to adjust volume.

Especially when using Spotify, I don't want to have to switch to that window/tab and use the slider. I don't have a mouse, so it would be using the button and trackpad - often my cat is sleeping on one arm and it is difficult to do that one-handed.

I've had my HP laptop for 2 or 3 years, and the only thing that might have changed would be some kind of software update. But I don't remember one this week (I have the computer notify me before updates happen).

All help is greatly appreciated!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Chrome volume won't respond to keystrokes anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Have you rebooted the computer since this started? If not, give that a shot first. It fixes a lot of glitches.

You said it doesn't change the volume in Chrome - have you tried things outside of Chrome? Is it possible the volume keys aren't working anywhere? (In which case it could be a keyboard problem or OS problem instead of a Chrome bug)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 12:57:17 AM »
I've rebooted Chrome, but not the computer. I'll do that overnight.

Good call on checking out non-Chrome volume. Groove Music does respond to the volume keys, so it seems they are still working.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a restart will be the fix, and will report in the morning.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 01:06:00 AM »
Good call on checking out non-Chrome volume. Groove Music does respond to the volume keys, so it seems they are still working.

*scratches head* Weird!

Might be useful to post things like what operating system you're using (Windows 10? Chromebook?), which version of Chrome you're using, etc. That can help if you're trying to search for very specific bugs.

I did find this from last year, that suggests there are plug-ins that can disable some of the media control keys in Chrome. And disabling the plugins may fix it. https://techsquidtv.com/blog/keyboard-media-keys-not-working-its-chromes-fault/

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 07:04:32 PM »
Slicey, it is weird!

After a computer re-start (I'm kicking myself for not trying that first, lol. Thanks for the reminder), no change. The buttons still don't affect the volume.

I did find that result, but I don't have any plug-ins that would interfere. I am going to try Spotify in Firefox and see what happens.

I'm running Windows 10 and the Chrome version is 87.0.4280.88 64-bit.

Edit: Spotify in Firefox responds to the volume buttons. I consider this a work-around, would still appreciate any leads on how to get Chrome to behave.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:07:57 PM by oneday »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:50:37 PM »
Hmmm. :-/ I cannot figure this out! I don't have a Win10 computer so I can't mess around and look through settings etc. except in Chrome, where I don't see anything that looks relevant. I'm guessing it's some kind of bug in Chrome - maybe with the latest update, since 87.0.4280.88 appears to be the latest version (just released in the past week or so). That doesn't help you fix it, though.

If no one else comes along with an idea, things I would consider trying include:

1. waiting for the next Chrome update in 4-6 weeks (lazy option) to see if it fixes itself
2. figuring out how to download a beta version of Chrome in the interim to see if that fixes it (impatient, slightly riskier option)
3. doing a clean re-install or rollback to previous version of Chrome after figuring out how to save all my data/cookies/passwords/etc. (probably the most work)

I do not know if any of these things would work, since I don't know what's broken. I don't use Chrome myself, so I'm not experienced with its foibles. But if it were me and I were messing around on my own PC, that's what I'd be thinking.

You could also try to find some kind of specific tech support forum for Google/Chrome and see if they might be able to walk you through a fix. Again - something I've never tried.

ETA: I had another idea for a workaround... there are plugins for Chrome that let you control the volume with keyboard shortcuts (I googled and found this, just for example). Maybe that would work for you if this is just a total stumper?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:52:48 PM by Dollar Slice »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »
For the time being, the lazy option is my choice.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »
The buttons are working again! I didn't do anything...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 08:44:00 PM »
The buttons are working again! I didn't do anything...

Hooray, the lazy option comes through for us again!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!