Author Topic: Christmas vacation after deaths in family  (Read 4622 times)

LindseyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Christmas vacation after deaths in family
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
My mom died earlier this month and my husbands mom died 2.5 weeks later.  Because we both have small extended families - no aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc. - they were really our only company for holidays and my mom, especially, was very generous with my 4 children, whom she was very close to, involved with and saw often.

Based on the dread that I've been feeling leading up to Easter I thought that for Christmas it might be nice to do something different from what we have always done before - which is have them over, eat together, etc.    Surprising the kids with a vacation during Christmas break is something I would love to do.  We have never gone anywhere where we could snow tube or snow ski so that is what I would like suggestions on if possible.

We are in Texas so I was thinking someplace in New Mexico or Colorado might be good?  My children will be 18.5, almost 15, 12 and 8 next Christmas.  They are all fairly athletic, but since we have never had a vacation like this before they might not be ready for level: X Games.

Does anyone have any ideas on a place where we could ski and tube that isn't too terribly expensive.  We have $6,000 saved for a vacation already, but I am not sure if that is realistic or not for something like this.

Thanks for any input!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Christmas vacation after deaths in family
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
Angelfire and Red River are both really nice and pretty affordable. (In New Mexico)

Easy drive from Austin or Fort Worth ( done both of those). New Mexico skiing is easier than Colorado.

Sorry for your loss.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:57:30 PM by iowajes »

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
I've got no destinations for you, but I do have a suggestion.

Why not turn over investigating a location, preparing a budget, etc. to the kids?

They are of an age where it would be better, in my opinion, for them to have some responsibility rather than have the vacation done to them.

Sure they will have to coordinate their own committee, but also avoid imposing your own authority on the process, except as direly necessary.

Retain only final approval, like a Chairman of Board, and see what happens.   

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
I'm very sorry for your losses, Lindsey.

I do love this idea. I bet they'll be really excited about it if they plan it.

I've got no destinations for you, but I do have a suggestion.

Why not turn over investigating a location, preparing a budget, etc. to the kids?

They are of an age where it would be better, in my opinion, for them to have some responsibility rather than have the vacation done to them.

Sure they will have to coordinate their own committee, but also avoid imposing your own authority on the process, except as direly necessary.

Retain only final approval, like a Chairman of Board, and see what happens.

crispy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
No suggestions, but wanted to mention that we did this one year. We just needed go run away from everyone so we drove to Hershey, PA. It was awesome and just what we needed for our mental well-being.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
I am so very sorry for all your losses. I think a ski/winter vacation would be wonderful. I have been to Copper Mt resort in Colorado a long time ago and it was beautiful but no idea about cost.  Also Colorado Springs is great and has the garden of the gods.  I think it would be great to have the kids come up with ideas, places, etc. I think a nice vacation is just what you guys need:))

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
Salt Lake City area has a ton of great ski resorts and may be more affordable than CO.

Also, check out Liftopia for deals on lift tickets. You can get the best deals buying early. You can also get discount tickets from REI or local ski shops. It can also be cheaper to rent skis at a ski shop rather than from the resort.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »
Salt Lake City area has a ton of great ski resorts and may be more affordable than CO.

Also, check out Liftopia for deals on lift tickets. You can get the best deals buying early. You can also get discount tickets from REI or local ski shops. It can also be cheaper to rent skis at a ski shop rather than from the resort.

I'm from Salt Lake City, so I second this recommendation. Don't just look at Park City and Deer Valley, which are very resort-y and thus expensive. Alta (skiers only), Brighton, and Snowbird are all in the canyons above SLC (and is just a 20-30 minute drive/bus ride away), where airbnb rentals will be a lot cheaper than PC. I took several skiing lessons at Alta one winter, and really loved all of the instructors. Downtown SLC also has some pretty spectacular light displays during Christmas as well (the most famous/longstanding one is at Temple Square, but many other secular venues have taken it upon themselves to make their own fabulous light displays, if you're not religious). 

I'm very sorry for your losses. 

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear aboutyour losses.That's really tough.

I live in Denver. Before babies we used to go snowboarding often. The absolute best deal is the ski free deal. Google ski free Colorado for participating Shell Stations. If you purchase more than 10 gal of gas at a Shell station you can get a b1g1 to Copper Mountain. I don't think there were any black out dates this year. Obviously you're not in the area to get gas at Shell Stations (maybe you'll get lucky and have a participating station near you). If you want to go to Copper Mtn, send me a PM and I can collect receipts for you and send them to you. I have typed out get gas either way and I won't use them...