Author Topic: Christmas Party  (Read 17433 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Christmas Party
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
A) Cheap suits look shitty, and no one wants to look shitty
B) Not-shitty suits are expensive and increase the cost of a Mustachian man's wardbrobe by ~ 8x, which is a violation of one's sacred badassity (in effect an infringement on religious beliefs)

That said, I begrudgingly admit that it is useful for a dude to own a suit for weddings and funerals (I do, don't tell anyone).
But suits are not for parties or job interviews.  If you need to wear a suit for a job interview, it's a shit job, same goes for parties.

incorrect a suit to a job interview is an expectation in the professional world.  suits at parties are fun.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 09:55:52 AM »
I understand being stressed with twins, but couldn't he go to a consignment store or a nearby Goodwill during his lunch hour or one night after work while you watch the kids?

I'm also of the mind that a dark suit is essential to have in the event of a funeral. They usually come unexpected and the last thing you want to do when you are grieving is have to shop for proper clothing.

Not saying you are wrong, but DH has had the same damn two suits hanging in his closet for 25 years, unworn. I say to him "if you aren't going to wear a suit at your mother's funeral, when ARE you going to wear those suits?" He didn't wear them at the funeral,of his own mother.   He is a bit of a hoarder and will not let go of them.

His dinner jacket, OTOH, he wears at least once a year. So, he wears jacket and tie for some events and dinner jacket for others. No suits.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
I've been in similar situations. No one will care what he is wearing. I guarantee at least one man will show up in jeans.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
A) Cheap suits look shitty, and no one wants to look shitty
B) Not-shitty suits are expensive and increase the cost of a Mustachian man's wardbrobe by ~ 8x, which is a violation of one's sacred badassity (in effect an infringement on religious beliefs)

That said, I begrudgingly admit that it is useful for a dude to own a suit for weddings and funerals (I do, don't tell anyone).
But suits are not for parties or job interviews.  If you need to wear a suit for a job interview, it's a shit job, same goes for parties.

Suits are not for job interviews... Well, Gotta disagree with you. Good luck with that in the east and the midwest.

As for the cheap suits look shitty, well, yes, cheap suits usually do. However, inexpensive suits do not necessarily look bad. Most, if fitted correctly, look good. And if you then take it to a tailor and spend $30 to get it to fit your body right, it will look awesome.

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »
Every Goodwill I've been to has at least 1 full rack about 20 feet long of nothing but suits (matched pants/jackets, sometimes vests). Should at least give it a try (but take him with to try on) since chances are good you might find something suitable (pun intended).

This brings back a funny memory.  I used to belong to a sailing club, where some members were rich, but many were not.   A couple was marrying on their boat -- full-time cruisers who came into town every summer to earn some bucks.  They had no money, so he went and got a very nice suit at Goodwill (this was in a wealthy part of Florida), dry cleaned it and had it tailored.  It looked great -- except they had to let out the arms a bit and the crease where the cuffs had been just wouldn't go away, no matter what they tried.

An old salt (think popeye type, homeless but for his boat, rough around edges but heart of gold) declared "Ya' never gits yer suit at the Salvy!"  That phrase stays with me to this day -- every time I'm in a thrift shop I hear ol' Walt declaring "Ya' never gits yer suit at the Salvy!"

I'm betting a nice white shirt and christmas tie would do just fine, otherwise -- don't git yer suit at the Salvy, or else the cuffs will look odd!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
An observation about our culture: many people will think badly of the wife if the husband is poorly dressed. No, it's not fair, but it still happens.

So sometimes, you care and fight the battle because you know that someone else will be judging you. Even though it's really not a battle you need to fight. And in my experience, at least half of men don't have a clue that this is happening. Give OP a break, because if she's facing this, I don't blame her at all.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 01:00:18 PM »
Why care what other people think? If you care, you dress up. I'm not wearing a suit and tie because you are worried what acquaintances or even strangers might think about you.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
Just because this is bothering with my OCD-ness and my style sense...

• Suit jacket should only be worn with the matching suit pants. Suit pants should only be worn with the matching suit jacket.

• A sport coat, or a blazer (technically there is a difference--in reality they're the same thing), is something that is much more versatile. That can be worn with khakis, dress slacks, and even jeans (although I abhor that look).
  • Colors
    • Unless you're going to a funeral or playing in an orchestra, don't do a black suit. Get a charcoal or navy suit. Even grey. MUCH more versatile.
    • Navy sportcoat is probably the most versatile. Wear it with Khaki's and any dress slacks that are not blue or black
    • After that, a Khaki/brown/tan colored sportcoat is the next most versatile. Wear it with charcoal/grey slacks, navy slacks, olive slacks... Basically anything except for khaki's.

So don't separate a suit. If you want to do that, just get a bunch of slacks/khaki's, and 1 or 2 sportcoats (Navy is a necessary one).

Hmm...guess we are not particularly stylish. I like clothes well enough and do pay a certain amount of attention to my own clothes, but rarely have patience for multiple fashion rules. If I wasn't there to nag, DH would still be wearing nasty pink/purple/whatever plaid shirt around 20 years later. And I'm terrible - I have not yet figured out the difference between a sport coat, a blazer, and a suit jacket. They all look the same to me.

I had no idea DH was breaking the rules all these years :)

I took a look at a bunch of pick of khaki/tan jackets with grey pants and absolutely hated the color combination. Since DH only wears jackets for evening events, I really can't picture a scenario where he would use a tan jacket. So unfortunately, it wouldn't be versatile for him. A Navy jacket and dress pants doesn't scream evening to me. But maybe I need to consider this look more.

It still seems to me that, for our particular lives, the most basic and useful formal clothes would be a black suit. Around here, pretty much everybody wears a basic black suit for evening functions. Although I guess a charcoal suit would work fine too. Black suits always seemed more practical since he could use pair the pants with dress shirts to go to work.

Except...is that a fashion faux pax?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »
Just because this is bothering with my OCD-ness and my style sense...

• Suit jacket should only be worn with the matching suit pants. Suit pants should only be worn with the matching suit jacket.

• A sport coat, or a blazer (technically there is a difference--in reality they're the same thing), is something that is much more versatile. That can be worn with khakis, dress slacks, and even jeans (although I abhor that look).
  • Colors
    • Unless you're going to a funeral or playing in an orchestra, don't do a black suit. Get a charcoal or navy suit. Even grey. MUCH more versatile.
    • Navy sportcoat is probably the most versatile. Wear it with Khaki's and any dress slacks that are not blue or black
    • After that, a Khaki/brown/tan colored sportcoat is the next most versatile. Wear it with charcoal/grey slacks, navy slacks, olive slacks... Basically anything except for khaki's.

So don't separate a suit. If you want to do that, just get a bunch of slacks/khaki's, and 1 or 2 sportcoats (Navy is a necessary one).

Hmm...guess we are not particularly stylish. I like clothes well enough and do pay a certain amount of attention to my own clothes, but rarely have patience for multiple fashion rules. If I wasn't there to nag, DH would still be wearing nasty pink/purple/whatever plaid shirt around 20 years later. And I'm terrible - I have not yet figured out the difference between a sport coat, a blazer, and a suit jacket. They all look the same to me.

I had no idea DH was breaking the rules all these years :)

I took a look at a bunch of pick of khaki/tan jackets with grey pants and absolutely hated the color combination. Since DH only wears jackets for evening events, I really can't picture a scenario where he would use a tan jacket. So unfortunately, it wouldn't be versatile for him. A Navy jacket and dress pants doesn't scream evening to me. But maybe I need to consider this look more.

It still seems to me that, for our particular lives, the most basic and useful formal clothes would be a black suit. Around here, pretty much everybody wears a basic black suit for evening functions. Although I guess a charcoal suit would work fine too. Black suits always seemed more practical since he could use pair the pants with dress shirts to go to work.

Except...is that a fashion faux pax?

Well, in full disclosure I really only like a "tan" sportcoat that is really more of an olive green, and usually with a bit of a pattern.

Look closer at the black suits you see everywhere. I'd suspect that they're really a dark charcoal or a dark navy. The reason that you don't want to wear a suit pant or jacket separate from its mate is that one will wear faster than the other, and will fade. It will be minor, but it is there. The other reason is that a suit is typically a better/finer knit. I can tell this because I'm super OCD about it, but 99% of people would never be able to tell. Realistically the only difference in the jacket and a sportcoat is that the sportcoat will have flashier buttons. Change out the buttons and who would know?

FWIW, I never wear black pants. Period. Never see anyone at work do it either, and we're in a bank. It is always blue, tan, grey, olive, etc.

All of this being said, I'm picky about what I wear. I notice these things. I'm one of the few probably who does. And I don't spend much on my stuff either, 1 suit was from goodwill, 2 hand me downs, and 1 was about $250 when all was said and done. I get my dress shirts and slacks at Costco, and wear them til they rip or fray at the collar or cuffs. I think my annual clothing budget is probably around $75 most years.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 07:20:40 PM »
incorrect a suit to a job interview is an expectation in the professional world.  suits at parties are fun.

Opposite on the West Coast (depends on the company a little, but 2/3 companies I've worked at in CA would judge people a touch negatively for wearing a suit.  The other wouldn't care either way but did hire me when I didn't wear a suit.  I wore a suit to 1/3 and they made fun of me for it, though hired me anyway).

For parties, cool if people enjoy wearing suits to parties, you do you, but it's shitty to expect people who don't like doing that to acquire a very specific and expensive article of clothing for such an event.
Like, I like guitars, but I wouldn't make everybody that came to one of my parties own and bring a guitar to my party.   That would just be a very weird thing to expect of people.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!