Author Topic: Christmas Party  (Read 17429 times)

COlady

• Bristles
Christmas Party
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
My husband just RSVP'd us for his Christmas party. He is an engineer that works for a telecommunications company.  He sent me the email and said "I RSVP'd us yes!". Then I see at the bottom that it says COCKTAIL ATTIRE REQUIRED. NO CHILDREN. I let out a big sigh. Cocktail attire for a man is generally a full on suit.  Do you think my engineer of a husband owns a suit??? Nope. I'm sure his argument against buying one will be "none of the other engineers will be in a suit". I have a dress that will easily work for this event so I'm not worried about me. So what to do?

1) Just roll with it and go with him wearing black pants (not dress pants but rather khaki type pants because he doesn't own any dress pants), button up shirt and tie?

2) Don't go and be disappointed because I was looking forward to this and already have a babysitter lined up.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Re: Christmas Party
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
I'm sure the outfit you outline for him will be fine. Does he not have even a suit jacket though? You may want to pick up one of those used if it ever comes your way.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
I would go with the clothes he already owns. I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
I'd go with the clothes he has.

Of course, I wouldn't have ever thought cocktail required a suit. Maybe a sport coat.  To me a suit is formal, and cocktail a level below that.

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
Does he care about potentially being under-dressed? Sounds like probably not. I have struggled with similar issues in the past. I know it's hard, but let him do his own thing and don't be embarrassed for him. He's an adult.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
When I started reading your post I expected you to say that "sure, he has a suit [on account of him being an adult male]" but that you wouldn't have the proper dress.

I'm sure he'll be fine with his current clothes - if he doesn't care what he looks like the rest of the time, no reason to think he'll care at the Christmas party.

Real question, since I've heard "engineer = crap clothing" a few times around here. Why is that? Why do engineers dress like crap...admittedly by them? (my friends that are engineers dress just fine)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
Go with your husband and have a good time :)

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »
Now I'm even more worried...I just texted one of his best work friends (who wears similar attire to work as my husband) and he said last year (we didn't go last year) everyone was very dressed up, even the engineers. He said he's planning on buying a suit before this year's party. Uhhhh...I think my husband just needs to suck it up and buy a basic suit. It doesn't have to be super expensive.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »
Go to a thrift shop or two in a nice part of town and pick up a jacket for $5.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »
thrift shop for jacket and dress pants.

our holiday party is formal and we are all engineers.  I wear a nice dress and heels and my husband wears a jacket and tie with dress pants. 

I'm also shocked that "even the engineers" were dressed up.  Are we talking computer engineers, here?  I think my team dresses quite well.  Usually I'm the odd one with my thrift store "dress" clothes at work. 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
Go to a thrift store in a nice area. Might have to check a couple of them, but chances are you'll find a very nice suit or dress pants/ sport coat that will probably need very little altering unless your husband is unusual hard to fit.

And it will be waaaaaaay less than buying new.

My husband had three suits, but then he lost over 60 pounds and they look ridiculous on him and we had a wedding to go to. On a whim, we swung by our local Goodwill and found him two really nice sports coats that look like they were tailored for him, and way better quality than what he owned for like $15 each (he got compliments on how good he looked!). And we found some amazing dress shirts at another store for like $5 each that were fancy-schmancy designer brand.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
He has a plaid sport coat that his mom bought him shortly after college. Not sure if it fits or not. I think the pants and jacket should be part of a matching set rather than separates which is hard to find at a thrift store.  I realize I'm probably on the wrong site to be talking about him going out and buying a suit...but in my opinion there are some basic wardrobe necessities and this is one of them.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »
Real question, since I've heard "engineer = crap clothing" a few times around here. Why is that? Why do engineers dress like crap...admittedly by them? (my friends that are engineers dress just fine)
I think many engineers feel that they can dress as they like because they are recongnized for technical abilities and do not need to "dress to impress". I'm sure plenty of engineers do like to dress nice; but, if it isn't important for your happiness or success, why bother?

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
Well, maybe it's time to work with the pros
http://www.menswearhouse.com/hdn/cyber-monday-2015/clearance-suits-november?cm_sp=2015_11_30-_-HPHERO-_-CYBERDEALS-149CLRSUITS

I guess a guy is supposed to have 1 decent suit for 'births, deaths, and weddings'... and the occasional fancy Christmas party :)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
Personally I like non matching separates more and think they are more fashionable.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
Every Goodwill I've been to has at least 1 full rack about 20 feet long of nothing but suits (matched pants/jackets, sometimes vests). Should at least give it a try (but take him with to try on) since chances are good you might find something suitable (pun intended).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
My husband just RSVP'd us for his Christmas party. He is an engineer that works for a telecommunications company.  He sent me the email and said "I RSVP'd us yes!". Then I see at the bottom that it says COCKTAIL ATTIRE REQUIRED. NO CHILDREN. I let out a big sigh. Cocktail attire for a man is generally a full on suit.  Do you think my engineer of a husband owns a suit??? Nope. I'm sure his argument against buying one will be "none of the other engineers will be in a suit". I have a dress that will easily work for this event so I'm not worried about me. So what to do?

1) Just roll with it and go with him wearing black pants (not dress pants but rather khaki type pants because he doesn't own any dress pants), button up shirt and tie?

2) Don't go and be disappointed because I was looking forward to this and already have a babysitter lined up.
He's an engineer, let him wear what he has.  It will be fine.

I'm an engineer, as is my husband.  His company's party this year is cocktail attire (last year it was Dr. Suess theme, lol!)  He owns a suit and will wear it, but there will be plenty of men there with pants, shirt, and tie, or pants and sweater.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
Every Goodwill I've been to has at least 1 full rack about 20 feet long of nothing but suits (matched pants/jackets, sometimes vests). Should at least give it a try (but take him with to try on) since chances are good you might find something suitable (pun intended).

I wish I or him had time to shop around Goodwill. We have 9 month old twin boys, going Goodwill shopping is out of the cards. I buy the boys clothes used from twins sales but we buy our clothes new on deep discount. There was a time in my life that I enjoyed and had time for thrift store shopping but now is not that time.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
Good responses.  Don't buy a new suit, just wear what he already owns.
The whole "dress for success" thing doesn't carry as much weight as it used to in most circles.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
I'll counter this with: be an adult - own proper clothes*.

(I'm a math nerd, I get it. But I also dress appropriately, as do my engineer friends.)

*this doesn't mean expensive. My very fashionable wardrobe has all been purchased at outlets and/or at least 40% off sales. High-end items at k-mart prices.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
I understand being stressed with twins, but couldn't he go to a consignment store or a nearby Goodwill during his lunch hour or one night after work while you watch the kids?

I'm also of the mind that a dark suit is essential to have in the event of a funeral. They usually come unexpected and the last thing you want to do when you are grieving is have to shop for proper clothing.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »
Macy's has suits + separates on sale:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/mens-clothing/mens-suits?id=17788

This is a one-time purchase that should last a long time assuming your husband doesn't gain weight, etc. If money is an issue, like others have suggested, a thrift store should have everything available!

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
I understand being stressed with twins, but couldn't he go to a consignment store or a nearby Goodwill during his lunch hour or one night after work while you watch the kids?

I'm also of the mind that a dark suit is essential to have in the event of a funeral. They usually come unexpected and the last thing you want to do when you are grieving is have to shop for proper clothing.

I wish he would do this, but he won't.  Actually wearing the suit would be painful enough. Shopping for clothing is like the worst thing in the world for him. He would probably rather just buy the thing from Men's Warehouse at a discounted price then spend the time looking at multiple thrift stores (and he's really CHEAP....err FRUGAL).

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »

This is a one-time purchase that should last a long time assuming your husband doesn't gain weight, etc. If money is an issue, like others have suggested, a thrift store should have everything available!

I saw that today! I saw a few I really liked! If I knew what size jacket he needed I would just buy it online and call it good! I guess I could buy like 5 sizes and then return the ones that don't work.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 02:14:19 PM »

I saw that today! I saw a few I really liked! If I knew what size jacket he needed I would just buy it online and call it good! I guess I could buy like 5 sizes and then return the ones that don't work.

Bring him to Macy's and have the guy fit him. It will take 30 minutes.

And yeah, a grown man should own at least one suit (usually one is plenty). My go-to suit was bought when I was 19 (from Macy's). I'm 25 now, and wear it about 6 times a year, and probably will continue to do so for the next 10 years.

crispy

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
We had to attend a wedding recently, and my DH's black suit no longer fit so a new one was in order.  I went to Goodwill a couple of times, but I didn't find anything that worked.  I ended up buying a basic black suit (pants and jacket separate) from Walmart for around $70.  It looked fine and didn't stand out as being a "cheap suit."  If it needed to wear it often, we would have gone for a more expensive suit, but since he wears one every two years, I didn't see the point.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »
I would not wear a suit to a cocktail party unless I was in an industry that wears suits every day- law offices and undertakers etc! Suits also require a nice tie and its easy to spot one left over from the Clinton administration.
 Even as a consultant, I usually wore dark slacks and a nice long sleeve dress shirt.  Most important to have decent shoes however to pull this off- and it doesn't hurt if the Missus is easier than you to look at :-)

I agree with the "adult clothes" comment above, but it doesn't have to be expensive.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »

I wish he would do this, but he won't.  Actually wearing the suit would be painful enough. Shopping for clothing is like the worst thing in the world for him. He would probably rather just buy the thing from Men's Warehouse at a discounted price then spend the time looking at multiple thrift stores (and he's really CHEAP....err FRUGAL).

If he won't, I don't think the answer is for you to stress yourself out shopping for him. He's the one who RSVP'ed, it's his workplace, and he appears to be the one concerned about what others are wearing. I would be irritated to have to do unnecessary errands for a person who is simultaneously creating a problem and refusing to solve it.

Instead, I think the answer is for him to wear the slacks, shirt and tie that he has already. Cocktail usually means a jacket (a suit would actually be overkill, in my opinion; khakis and a sport coat is more like it) but it's really not that strict of a definition. He will be in the neighborhood and that's all one really needs to be comfortable. For me, as long as I'm in the neighborhood even if I'm not 100% on the dress code, I can enjoy myself and nobody will be offended or concerned.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »

Maybe if he's average (i.e. an old, fat dude), but when I checked goodwill it was all giant suits that would look dated and goofy in the 90s. Any moderately fit guy that want a nice looking, stylish (slim) suit needs to buy a proper one and have it tailored. Even so-called "slim fit" at macys or Jos A bank is hilariously baggy. I've been searching for a suit for a while now and it's frustrating. Banana republic and JCew have decent modern looking ones, but they cost. I'm considering splurging on an online made-to-measure suit so I have one nice, well-fitting one. I mean it would hopefully last for a decade anyway. These cost in the $500-800 range. Some good ones I found in my research:
http://www.indochino.com/
https://blacklapel.com/
http://www.pointclicktailor.com/

Also, how can a grown man not own a suit?! Does he not meet with clients ever? Or go to weddings/funerals? Job interviews..? Even as a junior engineer I came along to client meetings and had to be able to dress properly. If I didn't own a suit that would have been a problem. Even if he's not wearing it to this party an adult male needs to own a suit.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:28:45 AM by Scandium »

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »

I'm torn on this.

I 'think' the right answer is go with him however he wants to dress: it's his party.

But...I also think that 'one' suit---however it is acquired---isn't the worst thing that can happen to a man. If he whines, mention that it's not like they're asking for adult circumcision without an anesthetic: there will be booze served, right?

And then unless I missed it up thread, your third choice: rent the damn thing. Any place that rents to school seniors will have trendy suit you can acquire for an evening...possibly cheaper than a thrift store + alteration in price.

Good luck. Bottom line: you go to the party. "Oh, he took ill at the last moment, sorry. Hey, is that shrimp cocktail?"

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »
No kakis at a cocktail party. He's not going to be under a desk fixing a computer or something.

Also a tie does not need to be worn with a suit in a non-business meeting setting.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »
How about borrowing something? Does he not have a friend or relative who is his size? Absent that, I'd consider adding a sweater over the shirt and tie and wearing hard-soled (i.e. dress) shoes. Make sure every thing is clean and sharply pressed, with dress socks and shiny shoes.

Yes, every man should own a presentable suit and accessories, but buying them at the last minute is a good way to make a very expensive mistake. Learn the lesson. Go as you are this year (use the twins=no time to shop excuse), but plan ahead for next year. That way, he'll be splendidly attired, with budget intact, next time the situation presents itself.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
I had no idea a guy should wear a suit to a "cocktail party".  H totally would have worn khakis and a dress shirt, no tie, if we got that invite.  Cuz that is his "dress clothes" that he wears to work every day.  And he even owns a suit, it just wouldn't occur to him to wear it for, well, anything except a job interview or funeral.

2 nerdy engineers, checking in!

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »

Maybe if he's average (i.e. an old, fat dude), but when I checked goodwill it was all giant suits that would look dated and goofy in the 90s. Any moderately fit guy that want a nice looking, stylish (slim) suit needs to buy a proper one and have it tailored. Even so-called "slim fit" at macys or Jos A bank is hilariously baggy. I've been searching for a suit for a while now and it's frustrating. Banana republic and JCew have decent modern looking ones, but they cost. I'm considering splurging on an online made-to-measure suit so I have one nice, well-fitting one. I mean it would hopefully last for a decade anyway. These cost in the $500-800 range. Some good ones I found in my research:

Also, how can a grown man not own a suit?! Does he not meet with clients ever? Or go to weddings/funerals? Job interviews..? Even as a junior engineer I came along to client meetings and had to be able to dress properly. If I didn't own a suit that would have been a problem. Even if he's not wearing it to this party an adult male needs to own a suit.

I had the suit discussion with him last night and said precisely what you said above. He sees no reason that he needs to own a suit and absolutely refuses to buy one. He said if it's that big of a deal he would rather not go to the party. Gahhhh....he is so STUBBORN!!! I said fine, then we won't go (which was what he wanted to hear I'm sure). Later I told him I'm going to go as the date of his friend that works at the same company (he said nothing lol). Then I finally told him he can wear whatever he wants and that if he's underdressed it will be his problem. He does not meet with clients, he works for a corporation as an electrical engineer designing stuff (I don't really know what he does). Candidates do not routinely wear suits to interviews (he is on the interview panel). Most weddings we go to aren't fancy enough to require a jacket, he typically wears a button up shirt and tie though. Although a suit would not have been overkill for a lot of the weddings we've gone to in the last 5 years.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »

I had the suit discussion with him last night and said precisely what you said above. He sees no reason that he needs to own a suit and absolutely refuses to buy one. He said if it's that big of a deal he would rather not go to the party. Gahhhh....he is so STUBBORN!!! I said fine, then we won't go (which was what he wanted to hear I'm sure). Later I told him I'm going to go as the date of his friend that works at the same company (he said nothing lol). Then I finally told him he can wear whatever he wants and that if he's underdressed it will be his problem. He does not meet with clients, he works for a corporation as an electrical engineer designing stuff (I don't really know what he does). Candidates do not routinely wear suits to interviews (he is on the interview panel). Most weddings we go to aren't fancy enough to require a jacket, he typically wears a button up shirt and tie though. Although a suit would not have been overkill for a lot of the weddings we've gone to in the last 5 years.

Well he sounds more like a child than an adult gentleman. If he has such a tantrum dressing as a grownup then I'd say forget it. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort. And if he really never needs a suit I guess he's fine. Hard to believe but ok. Nobody wears a suit in the office here either, but interviewees always do.

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »

I am glad to hear the final outcome of your discussion.

I agree that a grown man should own a suit. But you are not his mother and it is not your responsibility to dress him. Even if people notice and care that he is not wearing a suit, it is not your problem. How else will learn that he needs to own a suit? If you don't allow him to take responsibility for choosing his own clothes, you will be nagging him for the rest of your life.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »

I agree that a suit can be useful and "grown up" for an adult male, even an engineer.  My husband owns one suit, plus one jacket. 

He wears the suit to the holiday party every other year, and to my company party also (except the last 2 years they have been on the same date).

He wears it to weddings, but the last wedding we attended was two years ago?  Funerals are rare, probably the last one was 10 years ago.  (My mother died more recently than that, but it was unexpected - we were already there but didn't have dress clothing with us).

He wears it to occasional business trips, but usually only the ones where he presents to government folks.

That said, honestly, dark slacks, a tie, and maybe a jacket would be fine for most of these things.  I've seen engineers wearing sweaters and slacks or jeans at a holiday party.  Will he feel uncomfortable or out of place?  If not, then go for it.  I have an acquaintance who only goes to the holiday parties that don't require "looking nice".  My husband's company party is a "theme" party each year, so every other year is cocktail attire.  For example, last several years have been: James Bond (cocktail/ tux), Dr. Suess (dress down OR cocktail), Ugly sweater, 40's, etc.  She went to the Dr Suess and ugly sweater parties.

As a female engineer, I've done anything from a black skirt and blouse, or slacks and blouse, to my plain black dress.  I get so many compliments on the black dress. It's the only dress I own.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »
3) go and don't give a crap how he is dressed he is an adult and is responsible for his own actions. Have a good time!
I agree, every man should have a decent suit, most providently in a darkish color in case of funeral.
My husband sounds like your husband (though not quite as bad). He did have a thrift suit for a long time but when it wore out did not replace it. We were going to this country club wedding. I told him where it was (country club), and that other guys would probably be wearing suits. But I am over being his nanny so I didn't check what he packed or nag. So, he brought thrift store slacks and a plaid short sleeve button-down shirt. And he's looking around realizing he is looking out of place "I didn't realize it would be this fancy, you should have told me!." And I said "I did tell you." He actually looks really good in a suit, but you can't have everything.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:57:24 PM by partgypsy »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
i dont understand why you care.  its his company and his career, let him wear what he wants.  now if it were your Xmas party i could see you having a say in what he wears.  but its his and he knows his company, i dont understand the concern at all ... glad to see you decided to let him make the decision on what he wore. 

worst case he's underdressed(they dont fire you for being underdressed at an XMAS paryt) - plus he sits in on interviews so he's likely good at his job.

best case he goes under dressed feels a little foolish and then you can get him a suit.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »
STOP CARING! It doesn't matter at all plain and simple... First of all it's him and his company and his party and you will be dressed fine so it doesn't affect you... Second, No one will care, notice, or remember and if someone cares enough to judge him then again... you shouldn't care because it's not you who's being judged and why would you want judgey friends anyway.

I had the suit discussion with him last night and said precisely what you said above. He sees no reason that he needs to own a suit and absolutely refuses to buy one. He said if it's that big of a deal he would rather not go to the party. Gahhhh....he is so STUBBORN!!! I said fine, then we won't go (which was what he wanted to hear I'm sure). Later I told him I'm going to go as the date of his friend that works at the same company (he said nothing lol). Then I finally told him he can wear whatever he wants and that if he's underdressed it will be his problem.

Why the hell are you letting something this small and stupid cause you so much stress and arguments? This is ridiculous just go to the party and have fun lol. Your arguing about him wearing formal clothes to an extra formal party... You shouldn't be stressing out this much even if he was insisting on wearing shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:02:09 PM by comfyfutons »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cocktail-attire.htm
For men, the definition of cocktail attire is relatively simple, although there is room for variation. A dark suit or well-pressed pants, sport coat, and a crisp dress shirt and tie is sufficient for most occasions.

I'm an engineer.  At my first company, it was fairly laid back (jeans at work are fine).  Our Christmas party wasn't even cocktail attire, and all the men there were wearing suits.

At my current company, it's pretty formal (khakis or nicer and dress shirt), and everyone at the last cocktail attire xmas party had suits or nicer.  At my current company, there's tradition of dressing up, and if someone wore less than a suit, it would be noted.  At my current company, I've known of people who didn't get a call back because they were only wearing dress pants, dress shirts, and a tie to the interview. 

I'm in the south, were things are typically more old school.  If you lived in California, I wouldn't expect this to be true.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
I wouldn't overstress it. If he is willing to wear dress pants, a button down long sleeved shirt and a tie, that's plenty, even for a cocktail party. As for suits, 90% of DH's suits don't match. They're mostly all black so it's not like it jumps out at you as obvious anyway. Yes, a matching suit is nice - but frankly, he's comfortable, looks appropriate, and nobody gives him weird looks.

That said, I live in a blue collar city and things just don't seem as dressed up here (I dress up a whole lot more when I visit my hometown).

totesmahgoats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »
Cocktail attire in CO (especially amongst the engineering industry) is so all over the place. There will likely be a broad spectrum of "cocktail attire". I would not stress about this.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
My husband is an engineer and I work for an engineering firm. Dress attire always varies at these events. My husband usually goes for dress pants and a shirt and tie, sometimes with a sweater over the top. He's never looked out of place. I wouldn't push this.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 06:36:04 AM »
My husband couldn't find his black jacket for his holiday party tomorrow night. He was skeptical that he would find one in his size at Goodwill, but he found one! Eight dollars well spent.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 08:01:41 AM »
If you are easy on the eyes and have a rockin body, wear a low-cut, tight fitting dress that shows off your figure.  No one will even notice him in his khaki shorts and flip flops.

the guy sounds like a baby!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
Just because this is bothering with my OCD-ness and my style sense...

• Suit jacket should only be worn with the matching suit pants. Suit pants should only be worn with the matching suit jacket.

• A sport coat, or a blazer (technically there is a difference--in reality they're the same thing), is something that is much more versatile. That can be worn with khakis, dress slacks, and even jeans (although I abhor that look).
  • Colors
    • Unless you're going to a funeral or playing in an orchestra, don't do a black suit. Get a charcoal or navy suit. Even grey. MUCH more versatile.
    • Navy sportcoat is probably the most versatile. Wear it with Khaki's and any dress slacks that are not blue or black
    • After that, a Khaki/brown/tan colored sportcoat is the next most versatile. Wear it with charcoal/grey slacks, navy slacks, olive slacks... Basically anything except for khaki's.

So don't separate a suit. If you want to do that, just get a bunch of slacks/khaki's, and 1 or 2 sportcoats (Navy is a necessary one).

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 08:59:23 AM »
I wouldn't worry about what my husband wore to his work event, but I think every person should have one decent dressy-ish outfit.  My husband doesn't dress up for work (teacher), but has a suit he wears to weddings, funerals and other formal events.  He is very tall and would never find anything in a thrift shop, but he's used his suit for over ten years now, so not a bad expense.  We both have huge families, and there are lots of weddings and funerals.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Just because this is bothering with my OCD-ness and

• Suit jacket should only be worn with the matching suit pants. Suit pants should only be worn with the matching suit jacket.

• A sport coat, or a blazer (technically there is a difference--in reality they're the same thing), is something that is much more versatile. That can be worn with khakis, dress slacks, and even jeans (although I abhor that look).
  • Colors
    • Unless you're going to a funeral or playing in an orchestra, don't do a black suit. Get a charcoal or navy suit. Even grey. MUCH more versatile.
    • Navy sportcoat is probably the most versatile. Wear it with Khaki's and any dress slacks that are not blue or black
    • After that, a Khaki/brown/tan colored sportcoat is the next most versatile. Wear it with charcoal/grey slacks, navy slacks, olive slacks... Basically anything except for khaki's.

So don't separate a suit. If you want to do that, just get a bunch of slacks/khaki's, and 1 or 2 sportcoats (Navy is a necessary one).

Agree with all of the above!

My husband is a great partner, father and employee. I guess his lack of dressing up is a downfall but overall he's a great guy so I'll quite my bitchin.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
A) Cheap suits look shitty, and no one wants to look shitty
B) Not-shitty suits are expensive and increase the cost of a Mustachian man's wardbrobe by ~ 8x, which is a violation of one's sacred badassity (in effect an infringement on religious beliefs)

That said, I begrudgingly admit that it is useful for a dude to own a suit for weddings and funerals (I do, don't tell anyone).
But suits are not for parties or job interviews.  If you need to wear a suit for a job interview, it's a shit job, same goes for parties.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!