2-3x a week
19 (14.2%)
Once a week
14 (10.4%)
Once every other week
8 (6%)
Never.  I've "trained" my cat to use the toilet or outside*
2 (1.5%)
I am celebrating National Puppy Day today (8/26)
21 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Chore Wars Thread 3: Cat Litter  (Read 16605 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Chore Wars Thread 3: Cat Litter
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
I'm bringing this thread back to life because I have a question.

I bought the Worlds Best Cat Litter and I love it! The litter is right next to the toilet, so I scoop whenever I go into the bathroom. It's quick and painless for me and I love it. One of my cats, however, does not.

He used to have behavioral problems with peeing. It started when I went away to college and got worse when my parents got a dog. Once I moved out and took him and his litter mate, it mostly stopped. He would pee on the squishy bathroom mat right outside his litter if he deemed it too long since I cleaned his box (to be fair... he would usually be right).

Anyway, I started using WBCL and like I said, I love it. His brother has not had any issue with it. But I would routinely come home to find that he had peed on that squishy bath mat. He used the litter twice in my presence (yes, I had to be standing in the bathroom with him). I don't smell pee anywhere else in the apartment, nor have I found poop elsewhere, which leads me to believe he's using the litter occasionally. I ended up throwing out the bath mats last night because I could just not get the smell out of them. I'm kind of dreading going home because I just have a feeling he'll pee on the carpet outside the bathroom (or elsewhere).

Does anyone have any advice? Should I pick up a container of their old litter and mix it in for a while? Or in your experience, is it just a lost cause and I should switch back to the old litter?

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Try mixing the litters for a while. This is pretty common behavior.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
I'm bringing this thread back to life because I have a question.

I bought the Worlds Best Cat Litter and I love it! The litter is right next to the toilet, so I scoop whenever I go into the bathroom. It's quick and painless for me and I love it. One of my cats, however, does not.

He used to have behavioral problems with peeing. It started when I went away to college and got worse when my parents got a dog. Once I moved out and took him and his litter mate, it mostly stopped. He would pee on the squishy bathroom mat right outside his litter if he deemed it too long since I cleaned his box (to be fair... he would usually be right).

Anyway, I started using WBCL and like I said, I love it. His brother has not had any issue with it. But I would routinely come home to find that he had peed on that squishy bath mat. He used the litter twice in my presence (yes, I had to be standing in the bathroom with him). I don't smell pee anywhere else in the apartment, nor have I found poop elsewhere, which leads me to believe he's using the litter occasionally. I ended up throwing out the bath mats last night because I could just not get the smell out of them. I'm kind of dreading going home because I just have a feeling he'll pee on the carpet outside the bathroom (or elsewhere).

Does anyone have any advice? Should I pick up a container of their old litter and mix it in for a while? Or in your experience, is it just a lost cause and I should switch back to the old litter?

When I switched my cats to World's Best, I did it gradually.  Maybe over a span of about a month I slowly added more of that to the original little until it was all the WB.  I have one who is very particular (like yours, it sounds like), so I was careful to make it a very gradual transition for her. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »
I have this problem with my big male. I have to keep the boxes clean and use the conventional, highly scented clumping litter. He will not pee or poop into anything else. He's 10 years old and we have tried every alternative.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »
The little shit heads pee on the floor if their box isn't cleaned daily :-|

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »
My female cat demands to go outside to potty. If she can't get outside she'll pee in the bath tub in the drain hole. I think sometimes she pees in the toilet. Sometimes there is pee in there when nobody else was home. She always poops outside. When I only had her I would clean the box a couple times a month because it was rarely ever used.

My male cat uses the litter box often. If the doggy door is left open he goes outside all the time. If his box is too dirty he looks for boxes or bags and pees in them. I try to clean it daily, but I think it ends up being cleaned every other day more often than not.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 02:42:17 PM »
We have a Maine Coon. His poops are HUGE. so are his pee balls (what World's Best Cat Litter does to his pee).

For all the large size of his excrement, one large bag of cat litter lasts months before we have to change it out. We never have to add more in between. We pick it up at Petco.

We also love the Litter Genie.

The cat goes glamping with us and we have a mirrored setup in our trailer bathroom.

Never a urine smell with this litter, but his poops which are so large do produce an odor for a short while after, but if he covers completely, which he tends to do (he is very tidy) the smell is quickly gone.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
When I switched my cats to World's Best, I did it gradually.  Maybe over a span of about a month I slowly added more of that to the original little until it was all the WB.  I have one who is very particular (like yours, it sounds like), so I was careful to make it a very gradual transition for her.

Grawr. This is what I was hoping to avoid. The litter he prefers, while very cheap, does not really hide the odor and though it's 'clumping' litter, it really doesn't clump. Sigh. I'll pick up the cheap litter on the way home and pour the whole thing in, and slowly refill with WB. Thanks for the advice!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »

Grawr. This is what I was hoping to avoid. The litter he prefers, while very cheap, does not really hide the odor and though it's 'clumping' litter, it really doesn't clump. Sigh. I'll pick up the cheap litter on the way home and pour the whole thing in, and slowly refill with WB. Thanks for the advice!

I'm not game to try switching kitty litter (our 2 cats have had some severe behavioural issues and one of them has severe renal failure) but the general recommendations I've read always suggest switching over litter very gradually. Cats are often creatures of habit and some of them do not cope well with change.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
Our cats have us trained well.  The boy has good litter habits, but the girl will go on the floor if it's not pristine (and sometimes even if it's clean!).  She's trained us to have two boxes upstairs and downstairs, and to clean immediately if we see any signs of use.  The boy cat seems to take my cleaning as a trigger to use it the box, which is incredibly annoying if he waits until 5 minutes afterward.  We also got a Litter Robot for our girl, which was so awesome until she decided that she didn't want to use it anymore.

We use World's Best (multicat formula) and it works really well.  For the longest time, I'd scoop it into the toilet since it's flushable, but now I actually just re-use the litter bags (and potato chip and other strong bags) to collect the poop and pee balls until it's all full, and then I'll tape up and trash it.  Since we're scooping all the time, it's much more efficient!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
Roughly once a day; one cat and we use feline pine. No stink and all the shavings go underneath the main box. Hardly a chore.

Ditto, but two cats.  I love Feline Pine (original).  So easy to clean, and it doesn't track around the place.