Author Topic: Choosing between a Honda Fit and Honda CRV  (Read 14924 times)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Choosing between a Honda Fit and Honda CRV
« on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:58 AM »
I've been looking at getting a new-to-me car for several weeks after over a year of planning and waiting. I've narrowed things down to two vehicles and now I'm at the point where I have no idea if I'm overthinking things or just wanting to choose one for the sake of choosing one (and not because the choice I'm making is actually the best choice) so I'm throwing it out here for this corner of the internet to weigh in on.

Background:
* We currently have a 2014 Corolla as our other vehicle (purchased slightly used to replace a '98 Ford). The vehicle we're replacing is a two door 2002 Civic, which is not compatible with our current toddler-having lifestyle. It's been a good little work horse but it could use some TLC at this point and we're not willing to put any more money into it for repairs. I just need it to run long enough for us to buy the new car.
* We could pay for either vehicle outright but will be partially financing through our credit union. We've done the math and the cost in interest is worth it to us. Actually we could buy either vehicle multiple times over if we were insane - we have ~$110k in our savings account.
* We have a one year old and a fifty pound dog, we have not yet decided if we're going to have a second child. I feel like this is turning into the biggest issue with this decision, but we're going to have to purchase a new vehicle before we make this decision.

The Contenders:
2015 Honda CRV, $23k Edit: EX trimline
Under 10,000 miles. 2 years left on the warranty + 4 years on the power train warranty
* This has the EX trim line, so more bells and whistles which I must admit appeal to me but my husband just considers to be more things to potentially break over time.
* I LOVE the amount of storage space it has in the back, I know this could accommodate two car seats plus the dog in the back to go visit family every few weeks. Also, in anticipation of having kids that are older than toddlers since children insist on aging, this seems like it would be a good mom-taxi kind of vehicle.
* I really enjoyed the test drive. It's a nice change from the Civic - I'm sitting up high and even compared to the other compact SUVs I drove I felt like I could see everything around me.
* I've looked around online and if we do decide to go with a CRV this particular vehicle is a good value. So now I'm stressing out hoping it doesn't sell before we've decided, which is what is sending me down the spiral of overthinking this.

2015 Honda Fit, $17k Edit: EX-L trimline
Under 10,000. Haven't asked about the warranty yet.
* This has the EX-L trim, so more bells and whistles and leather seats.
* I'm test driving this one after work so no opinions there yet. I know it will sit lower to the ground than the CRV.
* I don't think this would be able to accommodate two adults, two children, and the dog when we go visit relatives. But if we only have one child it should be fine. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:29:56 AM by meerkat »

humbleMouse

• Bristles
Re: Choosing between a Honda Fit and Honda CRV
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
CRV all the way.  Honda fit's are like driving around in a little miniature shoebox.  I am biased however as I would never drive a honda fit or any of these tiny little cars with tiny wheels.

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:14:11 AM »
We have two tiny-wheeled cars....a 2008 Honda Fit and a 1993 Honda Civic.  We have two kids, and until this January when we lost our elderly dog, we had at least one 50+lb dog.  Even when we had both dogs (50+70lbs) we had no trouble getting everyone into the Fit or Civic (although be9ng a 2-door, the kids almost never rode/ride in the civic).  Dogs sat in the very back, the kids sat in the back seat, and adults up front.  It was crowded but definitely do-able, although we never went on longer road trips with all 6 of us. 

Smaller cars obviously aren't for everyone, but for day to day they are perfect for us.  Its amazing what you can get into them when you need to do so.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
We've had a CR-V since new for ~17 years now. Its all the good things you listed. It continues to be the right size for our needs.

We like to have one larger vehicle and one smaller vehicle. Drive the vehicle that fits the day's needs. We carpool quite a bit.

For us a Fit/CR-V combo or Versa hatchback/Rogue combo would work really well.

There is something you may have overlooked. The HR-V. Underneath it is the Fit/Jazz chassis. The vehicle type is a four door CUV. Can be had with AWD or FWD. CVT or manual transmission. I have no awareness of what they cost.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
There is something you may have overlooked. The HR-V. Underneath it is the Fit/Jazz chassis. The vehicle type is a four door CUV. Can be had with AWD or FWD. CVT or manual transmission. I have no awareness of what they cost.

The HR-V is roughly around the same size and cost of what the CR-V used to be years ago. The current CR-V has gotten fancier and more expensive.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:04 AM »
We have a CRV and a Civic.  We quite like the combo.  The CRV is essential when driving to visit family for the weekend.

darknight

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »
I'll give my opinion on the two, and then give my unasked opinion...
I'd go with the CRV, awd and other anti mustachian features will be a huge upgrade over the Fit. Better resale by a long shot.

~Now for my opinion (and my unofficial meaningless qualifications for my opinion)
-I've owned many cheaper vehicles (nothing over $15k value), worked at multiple dealerships/service centers growing up and going to college, have a interest in anything automotive etc. etc.
-I'm not quite 30, you can hold it against me if you like, some do when it comes to advice.
-I worked at our honda dealership and have owned/driven multiple hondas (including a 2005 CRV)
I personally would never ever buy a new (or that new of) honda. Ever. The reason I ended up buying a used CRV was I saw them all the time with 200k+ miles still running and driving like new. My opinion would be to buy a CRV in the 2004-2007(08ish) used and carfax it. The have no reason to have any major issue and you can get them all day long under $10k. We got our 05' with 165k miles for roughly $4k, and it was awesome. Didn't use oil, cheap to work on, and just writing about it makes me want to go buy another one. I loved it (other than it was a bit on the short side for leg room-i'm over 6ft)
The same utility can be had with a 1/4 of the cost of the newer one. That's my opinion.

I actually stepped down a few rungs, and drive a 1992 toyota camry wagon. It has tons of power, seats 7 etc etc. I bought it for less that $900 and put roughly $350 in repairs. It's served us well for over a year and roughly 10k miles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:12:50 AM by darknight »

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
The honda HRV splits the difference if you can find one.  We are a family of 4 in a toyota matrix, so between these two I'd choose the fit.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
I've been looking at getting a new Honda for years (hoping not to pull the trigger until 2020 or so). I've also gone to the dealership and done test drives and all that jazz. What I would say is that if you're thinking about buying as new as a 2015, you might as well buy brand new.

The depreciation on Hondas is close to nothing. A new CR-V is $24,750, and I bet if you go towards the end of the year, you could get it for almost the exact same price as a 2015. To me, the value and peace of mind of knowing someone else hasn't beat it into the ground (even if it was just 10k miles) is worth the slightly higher price.

Something my friend did that I might recommend: continue doing test drives and make sure the dealership keeps you in mind. By the end of the year they will be looking to push these cars out the door and they'll give you a great deal. My friend got a brand new Camry for $12k doing this.

J_Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:56 AM »
Fiance has a 2010 CR-V.  Great car all around.  27-28 mpg with city driving.

We drove a new HR-V for 2 months when Honda was waiting for airbag parts (courtesy vehicle had 9 miles on it when we picked it up).  I did not like it as much.  The center console is a mess and the charge/aux inputs are a pain to reach (though it does have bluetooth standard, I believe).  I don't believe it got much better mileage than the CR-V.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:24 AM »
I'll second the statements on depreciation. We bought new years ago b/c the two year olds were so close in price to the brand new vehicles. Yeah, if you want to buy a 6-7 year old vehicle then there are savings to be had.

We're within a thousand miles or so of 300K miles on our CR-V. It has alot of miles left in it. We drive a little each week.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 11:44:03 AM »
Buying new vs. buying slightly used: that a good point. I hate the haggling side of this, it makes it difficult to compare (which of course is in their favor) when I'm looking at a used car with a set price. I updated my original post with the trimline, but at one point when I was researching it looked like a new CRV-L would cost $1,000 more than the 2015 CRV-EX. Who knows if my number for the L was actually a good number, though.

The HRV looks like a good contender. I'll have to check one out (which means going to a dealer, ugh.)

In terms of waiting till the end of the year, I had a credit freeze going and it's temporarily unfrozen but that's not going to last to the end of the year. In theory I can redo the lifting of the freeze but it'll cost $30. If I can save a bunch on my car, though, obviously that'll be more than $30. I'll think about this. Logically it sounds good, but of course part of me just wants to get this whole process over with already.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:39 PM »
I have driven CR-Vs since 1999; I'm on my third - a 2013 EX-L that I adore. For comfort, space, and practicality, you cannot beat a CR-V.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
Another vote for the CRV.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
Go CRV, it may seem unmustachian to say but it is worth the extra money.

Tanor85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
I test drove a 2015 Fit and loved it.
Also like the idea of putting the seats down and camping in the back.
Good luck with your car purchase !

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »
I have  2002 CRV with almost 200,000 miles on it and it is still very reliable.  It is just the right size for our family of four.  I plan on getting another one when this one dies.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 09:00:19 PM »
I'd go with the CRV. I drive a Ford Escape and love how versatile it is without feeling enormous.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 04:39:25 AM »
What are your goals?  You're on a Financial Independence Forum and buying a 2015 car if you're not already wealthy sounds absurd to me.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »
What are your goals?  You're on a Financial Independence Forum and buying a 2015 car if you're not already wealthy sounds absurd to me.

I really wanted to have a back up camera which leads us to looking at newer models. We could probably get one put in after-market but I'm not crazy about having One More Thing to deal with, so I'm sure I'm missing out on possible savings there but I'm okay with that. Also, given that I've driven my current vehicle for 15 years I'd rather go through the annoyance of car buying once every fifteen years rather than once every seven years to get two different older-but-reliable cars.

Plus I fully admit I'm not as hardcore as other folks around here. I'm okay with that. You're still rubbing off on me a bit to improve my habits overall.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 06:16:24 AM »

The HR-V is roughly around the same size and cost of what the CR-V used to be years ago. The current CR-V has gotten fancier and more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up about the HRV, I had somehow missed that in my research - possibly because I was looking at getting something slightly used and the HRV's first model year is 2016. It's a nice compromise, cheaper than a new CRV but still a lot of storage. Not as much as the CRV and it's not as quite as powerful, but it doesn't feel like a small car either (caveat, coming from a two door Civic my idea of what a small car feels like is probably skewed). The test drive went well but I didn't drive the same way as I did with the other test drives because I had the salesperson with me, plus my usual area (a business complex parking lot) was less ideal at 5pm on a weekday than it had been over the weekend.

I'm going to take another look this weekend at the HRV (as a general model) and the CRV (the specific vehicle I test drove already). The Fit got knocked out of the running after sitting in one of those, it's good but I want something a little more different from my current car.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
Please update when you have more impressions of the HR-V!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »
Came across this article comparing the Fit, HRV, and CRV.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »
We have two kids and  a Corolla and an Altima while both of them were little.  We now have a Fit that was gifted to us.

Personally, I don' think buying a car with thoughts of it being the kidmobile makes much sense unless you get a car with 3rd row seating.  I can cram my now teenagers and my 50lb dog into the Fit.  It's not luxurious, but it's not horrible.  There were many times when it would have been nice to have the extra seating because kids have friends and want to do stuff with them.  Being able to carpool is nice.

The Fit is a go-cart with windows.  It gets you where you need to go economically and it holds more stuff than you would think.  It's not comfortable or powerful.

We did manage just fine with two kids in a Corolla, which isn't much roomier than a Fit.

I agree with the others on the depreciation.  If the car loses very little of its value after two years, unless you really want an older one, it makes just as much sense to buy a new one, given the nearly identical prices.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »
It depends on your goals.  If you want lowest cost, the Fit is the way to go.  The CRV is not particularly fuel efficient.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »
My MIL had a 2010 CRV. I was not a fan. Not really that much space (it is basically a Civic on stilts), "awd", like driving a brick which means poor fuel efficiency.

AWD = more expensive to service. Expensive tires.

I'd go with something like a Mazda 5 over a CRV, for two children and a dog.

I think you'd be tight in the Fit, though. I know they are supposed to be spacious but after the dog, there's not going to be much room.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 01:33:34 PM »
We had the same debate over the summer over whether to get a Rav4 or a Matrix. We went with the Matrix (one toddler and one on the way), but we live on an island and don't do road trips. Our highest priority was cost (paid $3300) and MPG.

The impression we got was that SUVs are kind of pointless. They actually might be awesome, but our thought was...if we're going to get a gas guzzler, let's just go the whole hog and get a minivan. The sliding door and third row seating on a minivan are super appealing. As far as we could tell, the only advantage of an SUV was the extra cargo space in the back. And the MPG was too big of a drawback for us (gas is expensive in our neck of the woods).

That Matrix is a champ for gas, man. We got a manual transmission and I think we're getting 35-40 mpg so far. Better than our old Corolla.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:56 PM »
We have a 2011 CRV that my GF drives. We have quite a few friends with FITs. The CRV is what I would describe as supremely average - average comfort, average mileage, average handling, etc... It does nothing poorly, but nothing amazingly either. It's got to be the most boring vehicle I've ever had extended experience with.

I would take a FIT over the CRV any day. I'd also take a mini-van over the CRV any day.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
I'm reading more and more about the new HR-V and it seems to be a very attractive option to me.

Basically, the CR-V took the Civic and made it into an SUV.  In the same light, the HR-V took the Fit and made it into a compact SUV.

The HR-V has the functionality of the Fit and most of the bells and whistles of the CR-V. According to the article above, it has eight more feet of cargo volume (behind seats) and six more cubic feet of cargo volume (rear seats folded) than the Fit, but is much smaller than the CR-V.

Most importantly, the HR-V is only about $3,300 more than the Fit. A Fit EX (w/ automatic transmission) starts at $16,800; a HR-V starts at $20,165; and the CR-V starts at $24.745.

All in all, the HR-V seems to be a great compromise vehicle if you're in the market for a newer car. And I imagine in two years these will be below $18,000--and I think that's what I'm leaning towards once I'm ready for a new car.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
The HR-V has the functionality of the Fit and most of the bells and whistles of the CR-V. According to the article above, it has eight more feet of cargo volume (behind seats) and six more cubic feet of cargo volume (rear seats folded) than the Fit, but is much smaller than the CR-V.

This is very much true from what I saw at the dealer. There's also a neat function where the front passenger's seat shifts the butt part forward and then the back part of the seat folds waaay back. If you have the rear seats folded down as well you can get some surprisingly big stuff into the vehicle that way.

In terms of sitting height, it's a little taller than the Civic but lower than the CRV. I ended up not even sitting in a Fit - I found that I really liked sitting up high in the CRV - so I can't speak to that. They just started making the HRV in the 2016 model year so there aren't many used ones around yet and the ones that are out there are almost as much as new. When I was car shopping I found one used HRV at the no-negotiation used car lot and it was almost as much as the CRVs I was looking at that were only a year or two old. Actually looking at their website it's still there - 2016 Honda HR-V EX-L $23,990. Compared to the three CR-Vs they have, 2016 AWD Touring $28,990; 2014 EX-L $22,990; 2014 EX-L $22,990.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »
I've been looking at Mazda CX-5's.  Hertz car sales has a lot of 2016s with low mileage & 12/12 warranties.  They have Toyota ,but don't think I saw many Honda.

Not sure if Hertz is a good place to shop, but they have a lot of 2016 cars.  The price them at around "private party"  pricing.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
I wanted a car, DW wanted an SUV. We ended up with a CRV. We have no kids but a small dog. For 99% of our trips there is so much wasted space. If you're worried about space with the Fit later on, you can always add a cargo rack. Save the extra $$ now and do yourself a favor by buying the fit. You can always buy that 2015 CRV down the road later.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »
I wanted a car, DW wanted an SUV. We ended up with a CRV. We have no kids but a small dog. For 99% of our trips there is so much wasted space. If you're worried about space with the Fit later on, you can always add a cargo rack. Save the extra $$ now and do yourself a favor by buying the fit. You can always buy that 2015 CRV down the road later.

But what if I like the aesthetics and feel of an HR-V significantly more than the Fit?

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »

But what if I like the aesthetics and feel of an HR-V significantly more than the Fit?

That's fine, but you'll pay for those things.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 01:43:55 PM »

That's fine, but you'll pay for those things.

I wasn't trying to be smart, but this forum's "FIT OR BUST" mentality gets me at times. I've had multiple test drives with a Fit and, quite frankly, I just didn't enjoy it for various reasons. And I just cannot stomach spending thousands of dollars on something that I don't like. Given that my plan is to buy a car every 12-15 years, the marginal cost of upgrading to something I do enjoy seems worth it to me.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »
We bought a 4 yo Honda Accord for 15k with only 34k miles on it. So if you want to go a few years older you might get a better deal. The Accord is very roomy and it is very comfortable for trips. BTW: for people criticizing what cars others want to buy Mr MM just bought a brand new leaf.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!