Author Topic: Choosing a Ceiling Fan  (Read 4420 times)

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Choosing a Ceiling Fan
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:30 AM »
Efficient, cheap, good quality, not ugly; pick any two, maybe three.

A fan with a high-end motor can move twice as much air per watt, but it's probably not worth the extra $100-$200. Builder-grade fans are the cheapest, but they are known for their looks, in a bad way. Quality starts somewhere between $100 and $200. If it's not ugly, it's probably more than $200.

I want to get 3 or 4 ceiling fans. I'm having trouble deciding. I don't like the ones with the individual lights, nor the ones with the frosted bowl hung on a post at the middle. I haven't seen anything good on Craigslist. If I were pre-MMM, I would probably spend about $250 per fan.

Anyone figured this out? Should I just reset my thinking, that a cheap, effective fan is good no matter how it looks?

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Choosing a Ceiling Fan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »
As someone who used to investigate ceiling fans for compliance to US standards (not performance but safety), let me start with saying that most new ones are made in the same factories in China just with the different company names on them. Yes, they all have their own way to design motors but they are very similar. That being said very expensive units (Casablanca) are not better fans per se. They are more about their names. Hunter used to be the best IMO, but they have lost a foot hold on their quality. They are still good, just not as good as they used too be. And brands like Harbor Breeze at Lowes is just one of the other brands with Lowes' tradename on them. They tend to perform just as well as the Hunter fan's but they are not as well made.

So in my opinion, I would go with a low priced Hunter fan. They are usually better made and I am aware of some extra testing they do for performance that others don't (not required testing). And you can go with the lower priced one because from a quality standpoint there is a ton of difference between their higher priced models and lower priced ones (my opinion).

But whatever you do, do not buy one from Walmart.

daizy744

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
Also consider the amount of noise they make, especially if installing in a bedroom. Nothing worse than a wonky fan noise when trying to fall asleep on a hot night. :-D

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
I buy lower end Hunters and mid-range Home Depot Hampton Bay fans for the rentals.  The Hunters seem to last longer and be less noisy but there is more style in the mid-price Hampton Bay fans.  I don't bother with expensive fans.  Plan on a 7 to 10 year life, which is when styles change anyway.  Don't buy cheap fans.  They are noisy and don't last.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »
Thanks all for your input. I think I'll get a few low-priced Hunter fans.