Author Topic: chicken recipe  (Read 5461 times)

luigi49

• Bristles
chicken recipe
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
Any creative chicken recipe for my poor college student nephew that only has salt and pepper for seasoning?

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: chicken recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Italian Crockpot Chicken

4 chicken breasts
can cream chicken soup
pkg dry Italian dressing mix

Cook on low 5-6 hours

Shred the chicken and add 8 oz. cream cheese, let it melt and mix
Serve with rice or noodles
Makes 8 servings

I also like to use the Italian dressing as a spice rub and grill or bake the chicken.

apennysaved

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
I had a George Foreman grill in college and I still have one. Maybe he can get one on Craig's list or Ebay, but I see the cheapest model is $25 online.  He can grill chicken breasts & add just about any type of veggie for a meal.  Any leftover chicken can be made into chicken salad sandwiches or we use it cold in salads.  We typically use McCormick's Grillmates Montreal Chicken seasoning which can be bought at any grocery or Family Dollar.  It is a pretty healthy option if he can get his hands on a grill and it is pretty quick & easy to use.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
If he can find a store that has bulk spices, he should be able to stock up on some oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and chile flakes for about $2 total.  That would expand his options by about 100X.  Oh, maybe some cumin, too.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:47:18 AM »
Hm, in college I would buy chicken thighs and throw some garlic powder and soy sauce on them, bake in a toaster oven.  Delish.

If he has an adequate kitchen, I would like to share my 3-day chicken plan:

Take whole chicken, cut out spine with a pair of strong scissors.  Spread out on a broiler pan.  (These are usually in the bottom drawer of the oven and no one knows what they are for.)  Rub inside and out with oil, salt and pepper.  Bonus: Cover the bottom of the broiler pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.  Slice up some potatoes and onions and lay them in there.  Rub with oil, salt, pepper.  They will cook with the drippings. 

Meanwhile, take the spine and anything else that came in the neck/giblets packet (minus the liver), simmer in a pot with some onions and carrots or whatever he likes.  When the whole chicken is done in the oven, pour the drippings in this pot for extra flavor.  (He can also wait until a later day when he's removed all the meat from the chicken and use the whole carcass for stock instead.  That will be more flavorful.  I just find doing it the first day while you're waiting for the chicken to cook saves time.)

End of day 1: Eat as much chicken as you want.

Day 2: Cook some pasta in the stock.  Add however much chicken you want.  Eat soup.

Day 3: Cook some rice.  Throw in a can of black beans and some frozen corn.  Add some oil and the rest of the chicken and any spices if he wants.  Add cheese on top if desired.  Eat casserole.

Agree with apennysaved that chicken salad sandwich is a good option if he still has leftovers.  Just cube the chicken, add some mayonnaise and put on bread.

jhartt3

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »
6 cans black beans
2 cans rotel
2 chicken breasts

Beans make chicken go a lot farther for cheaper. Make chili's and buy some other seasonings.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
We lovingly call it "Chicken n Junk"

1 Chicken Breast
1-2 Bell peppers (I usually use a green and a red)
1 onion
1-2 cans of corn
Valentina (hot sauce in the Mexican section of Walmart)

Chop up chicken, peppers, and onion and cook in large pan with corn on Med-High heat until chicken in cooked adding Valentina during cooking as desired. Serve over rice either in a bowl or in a tortilla. Parmesan cheese is good on it also. I also sometimes add a can of black beans too

You have inspired me to make "chicken-n-junk" today since I have all the ingredients on hand.   Yum!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
We lovingly call it "Chicken n Junk"

1 Chicken Breast
1-2 Bell peppers (I usually use a green and a red)
1 onion
1-2 cans of corn
Valentina (hot sauce in the Mexican section of Walmart)

Chop up chicken, peppers, and onion and cook in large pan with corn on Med-High heat until chicken in cooked adding Valentina during cooking as desired. Serve over rice either in a bowl or in a tortilla. Parmesan cheese is good on it also. I also sometimes add a can of black beans too

You have inspired me to make "chicken-n-junk" today since I have all the ingredients on hand.   Yum!
You'll have to tell me how it goes for you. This is a favorite in my house and I actually have a batch in the freezer ready to cook that I'll probably make this week

I added black beans like you do sometimes, plus some green salsa (to cut the heat a little for my kids) and some cilantro.  Smells delicious!  I don't think the ingredients I added hurt it any, but I'm not sure they helped either.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Hm, in college I would buy chicken thighs and throw some garlic powder and soy sauce on them, bake in a toaster oven.  Delish.

If he has an adequate kitchen, I would like to share my 3-day chicken plan:

Take whole chicken, cut out spine with a pair of strong scissors.  Spread out on a broiler pan.  (These are usually in the bottom drawer of the oven and no one knows what they are for.)  Rub inside and out with oil, salt and pepper.  Bonus: Cover the bottom of the broiler pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.  Slice up some potatoes and onions and lay them in there.  Rub with oil, salt, pepper.  They will cook with the drippings. 

Meanwhile, take the spine and anything else that came in the neck/giblets packet (minus the liver), simmer in a pot with some onions and carrots or whatever he likes.  When the whole chicken is done in the oven, pour the drippings in this pot for extra flavor.  (He can also wait until a later day when he's removed all the meat from the chicken and use the whole carcass for stock instead.  That will be more flavorful.  I just find doing it the first day while you're waiting for the chicken to cook saves time.)

End of day 1: Eat as much chicken as you want.

Day 2: Cook some pasta in the stock.  Add however much chicken you want.  Eat soup.

Day 3: Cook some rice.  Throw in a can of black beans and some frozen corn.  Add some oil and the rest of the chicken and any spices if he wants.  Add cheese on top if desired.  Eat casserole.

Agree with apennysaved that chicken salad sandwich is a good option if he still has leftovers.  Just cube the chicken, add some mayonnaise and put on bread.

Thanks for everyones recipe and I will forward this to him.    If anyone can tell me where should I tell him to get bulk spices.  Thanks