Author Topic: Check if employer allows mega-backdoor-roth before accepting job offer?  (Read 1686 times)

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Has anyone had luck trying to find this out from online websites like glassdoor?  I find that this information isn't readily available online.  In the past I have tried asking the recruiter/HR-manager, but many times they too are not aware of it.  The concept of mega-backdoor itself isn't widely known yet.

Is there a list of companies (at least for the bigger companies) allowing the mega conversion available somewhere?

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Check if employer allows mega-backdoor-roth before accepting job offer?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »
It seems extraordinarily unlikely this information would be publicly available.  It is a very rarely used mechanism and most small and medium employers have probably never heard of it.  Whoever their 401k provider is should be able to answer the question - see if the recruiter/HR will direct the question to them for you.

That said, I'm not sure I personally would accept or turn down a job based on mega backdoor Roth availability.  Usually the total comp of different offers is different enough (in structure at least, if not in total amount) that I am making decisions on that, not on the availability of tax shelters.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »
It may be an issue of not understanding what that is. Some of the questions that would lead you to this answer are 1) Do they allow in process roll over of any kinda of investments?  (My company does not allow in process roll overs for any tax advantaged account, but did allow 2 in process roll overs per year for after tax non-Roth investments. Even some of the 401k company's employers didn't understand this.) 2. What is the limit for invested money in the 401k? [The yearly limit for 2017 is $54,000 for company match, your tax advantaged contribution, and your non advantaged (mega back door) portion. If you make $100k and are limited by your company to invest up to 18%, then this would all be your 401k or Roth 401k investment. Anything above this could be your MBDR investment. My company limited us to 40%, so if I made $100k, I could put $18k in TA, then $22k in MBDR, plus the match, as long as this is under that yearly $54k limit.

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
2. What is the limit for invested money in the 401k?
Yep, that's a good question to ask.  From the answer you may be able to indirectly figure out if MBDR is possible.