Author Topic: Cheapest way to rent an SUV...  (Read 5260 times)

GregO

• Stubble
Cheapest way to rent an SUV...
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
We have some furniture that we need to move this weekend and it's not exactly going to fit in my Corolla.  So we need to get our hands on a truck or SUV this weekend.  I've asked around to our friends that have one, but I'm not having any luck finding one to borrow.  It needs to be done this weekend, so I'm looking at renting an SUV/hatchback. 

I've checked the major car rentals companies for coupons and compared prices via kayak, priceline, etc.  I pretty consistently get quoted ~$50 for the day with unlimited mileage.  Does anyone have any other suggestions on ways to find cheap car rentals?  I live in Los Angeles, so surely there are some innovative, cheaper alternatives that I'm not aware of...  Thanks!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheapest way to rent an SUV...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
What's uhaul charge for one of their pickup trucks?

Also that $50 a day is always bullshit. It's $50, plus taxes, plus fees, plus taxes on those taxes, plus some weird charges that don't make sense, plus ...

Flying and renting cars for a company, $50 is $50. Doing it alone can double the price sometimes. Fuckers.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
How far do you need to move it? I've rented a pickup truck from Home Depot for this sort of thing. They charged me by the hour, and I was a bit pressed to return it within the hour, but I made it (I think they also give you like 5 min grace period). It was $20.

Check out car sharing companies too, though I personally have no experience with that.

Alternately, can you request an SUV specifically from Uber or something like that? Maybe that would be close to $50 and more logistically complicated.

Secret Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
if you have a trailer hitch, or a friend with a trailer hitch, U-Haul rents trailers for about $20/day

GregO

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
What's uhaul charge for one of their pickup trucks?
How far do you need to move it?

Yea, it's not right around the corner.  I though a rental car would work better than a Uhaul, since they charge per mile.  But I could be wrong about that. 

It's going to be 80-90 miles roundtrip...

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Rent a pickup by the hour from u-haul and don't dilly-dally.  Better and cheaper than SUV.

GregO

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
if you have a trailer hitch, or a friend with a trailer hitch, U-Haul rents trailers for about $20/day

No hitch.  And I'm not sure a trailer would work out too well.  This is some nice antique furniture, it could get damaged pretty easily on an open trailer.

GregO

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
Rent a pickup by the hour from u-haul and don't dilly-dally.  Better and cheaper than SUV.

I just checked online and U-Haul charges $20 + $.59/mile.  I have too far to drive, that'll be more expensive...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »
In my opinion, $20 + 59 cents a mile will be cheaper than renting an SUV, because $50 will magically become way more than $50. I guarantee at least a 50% add-on to the price. I rented cars for my old job all the time and that's what they do - fees, fees, fees, taxes, taxes, taxes.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Uber or Lyft and request a SUV or pickup (not sure how those work or if you can filter by vehicle type).

Post on craigslist offering $50 for someone with a pickup to help move something (plus you paying for the gas).  Probably some folks looking to pick up some cash for an hour or two worth of work (assuming you're not moving it across the state).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »
In my opinion, $20 + 59 cents a mile will be cheaper than renting an SUV, because $50 will magically become way more than $50. I guarantee at least a 50% add-on to the price. I rented cars for my old job all the time and that's what they do - fees, fees, fees, taxes, taxes, taxes.
It depends. Sometimes $50 is just $50.

I have rented cars and made and paid my reservations on line, and WYSIWYG.

Certain areas of the country it's actually $50.  Where I live now, it's  $50 for one day, even one way rental.  It was that cheap or cheaper in Norfolk.