Author Topic: Cheapest way to have iMessage  (Read 2880 times)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Cheapest way to have iMessage
« on: September 05, 2019, 09:04:10 AM »
So, for work (contractor so I guess I have to supply my own equipment) we are rolling out our application across a state over the next several months. They've decided to have a group chat for issues, but literally everyone except for me has an iPhone and they're doing this via iMessage. Apparently there are enough people on the chat that I can't be added to it, meaning it can't be done over SMS or MMS - is an iMessage chat. I'm the data conversion lead, so it would be best for me to be getting these messages.

Right now I'm on "buy used iPhone 5s and use wi-fi" as my cheapest option. No monthly cost. Any better ideas?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: Cheapest way to have iMessage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
They can't switch the group over to WhatsApp or GroupMe? Forcing you to get a new phone seems like bad precedent, especially if anybody else joins the group without an iPhone.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:16:28 AM »
That's a good point. Odds are there is a year-long process for getting an app approved, but I'll ask. Actually have GroupMe already on my phone for  hockey coordination purposes.

The state provides iPhones for their employees, and apparently the other contractors have iPhones as well for whatever reason. Can't understand why a state would make that decision - seems unlikely to be the lowest cost option.

mayhemkb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
If you have to cover costs yourself I would suggest purchasing a barebones iPod Touch.  That is able to iMessage.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
Just get the cheapest unlocked used iPhone you can find and use it without a SIM. There should be a lot of these available nowadays.

Ichabod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 12:14:49 PM »
Have you considered an iOS emulator on your computer?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
The state provides iPhones for their employees, and apparently the other contractors have iPhones as well for whatever reason. Can't understand why a state would make that decision - seems unlikely to be the lowest cost option.

Because Apple has fairly good enterprise management tools for the iPhone that don't exist on the Android side of things.

It's the same reason most large companies use Windows.  Linux is cheaper, but lacks the centralized management of a Windows domain.

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
I’m not too familiar with contractor work, but if this is something that another company is requiring you to use in order to work with them, can you bill any monthly cost back to them?

JSMustachian

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 02:48:25 PM »
In my iPhone settings it says iMessage uses cell data to send messages. Make sure iMessage will work on wifi only before you make any decision. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
In my iPhone settings it says iMessage uses cell data to send messages. Make sure iMessage will work on wifi only before you make any decision.

It works fine on WiFi only.  The point in settings is that it goes out as data connection traffic, not as an SMS.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »
I've tried a couple of emulators and nothing has worked yet. I'll probably see if I can't just wait this out. Or maybe I'll go check out some used electronics this weekend. Used iPods and iPads aren't that expensive.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
This is so annoying that Apple does this shit.  My fantasy league does not want me in the group chat because my Android based phone messes up their ability to "like" comments when there's an Android in the mix :rolleyes:

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »
I've tried a couple of emulators and nothing has worked yet. I'll probably see if I can't just wait this out. Or maybe I'll go check out some used electronics this weekend. Used iPods and iPads aren't that expensive.

I'm assuming you don't have a Mac?  iMessage works fine on them in the Messages app, though I think they'd have to add you via email if you didn't have a phone on the account.

You might try OS X in a VM, but iMessage seems like one of those things that might require real hardware (most things work in a VM, some stuff doesn't, I think iMessage doesn't because there's no crypto root of trust present or something like that).

This is so annoying that Apple does this shit.  My fantasy league does not want me in the group chat because my Android based phone messes up their ability to "like" comments when there's an Android in the mix :rolleyes:

Do you recall just how annoying the carriers were before Apple dropped iMessage in their laps and said, "Take it or you don't get the iPhone"?  $0.25/SMS or some such nonsense, limited SMS plans with 100 messages a month, etc.  That SMS is basically free now is a direct response to what Apple did.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!