Author Topic: Cheapest service plan for iPhone 4?  (Read 4614 times)

quelinda

• Stubble
Cheapest service plan for iPhone 4?
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
DH and I each have an iPhone 4 with service through Verizon. Our contracts have been up for about a year, but we've continued paying about $144 a month because we are both clueless about what else to do.

I essentially use my phone as an iPod. I'm a SAHM and hate talking on the phone. I don't have texting on my plan, though I do text DH through the iPhone-to-iPhone feature. So I'm willing to go down to some very, very basic plan.

DH uses his phone a LOT more than I do, both talking and texting, though maybe not as much as some people. He would probably require a step up from basic.

Can you please help me? I've heard of a few options but I don't know if they'd work with our phones. As I said, I'm clueless. :)

Thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.

PlanB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheapest service plan for iPhone 4?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Check out the Ting referral thread. I have an iphone with Ting, and it's an easy, easy switch to make. Our monthly bill went from $165 to $50 (for 2 phones)!

quelinda

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »
Check out the Ting referral thread. I have an iphone with Ting, and it's an easy, easy switch to make. Our monthly bill went from $165 to $50 (for 2 phones)!

Argh, it looks like I can't use Ting with a Verizon iPhone 4. :(

RUStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »
Its my understanding that you cant take your paid for IPhone from Verizon to any other carrier. No carrier supports it. (Atleast that I know of)

I believe there are ways to get your Iphone to work with StraightTalk and Ting. But if you ask those two carriers they will flat out tell you that they dont support it. There are ways around this though if you are adventurous.

My wife is in the same situation. Her contract with Verizon will be up in less than a month and I am hoping she will convert to republic wireless like me.

MrAlexMoore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
I'll jump in and vouch for Ting.  Ting is fantastic as long as you adjust your usage to operate mostly on wifi, which hopefully is no big deal.  I set my wife up on Ting a few months ago and the bill is consistently about $20.  Woo!

As for your conversion from Verizon, just do the math.  If you want to stick with Apple, consider selling your iphones on ebay and buying used/unlocked iphones on ebay as well.  The iphone 4 we bought was $220.  Even if you don't sell your used phones at all consider this.

$440 for 2 phones, estimated bill $60/m compared to current $144/m, I show you break even in 6 months. After that it's just sweet sweet savings. 

For others who may be reading that are under contract, do the math, it may be worth it to break the contract over the long run. 

Alternatives, Republic Wireless get's a lot of attention around here, but no iphones only Android I think.  Airvoice had some attention for a while, but not so much lately.  I used Airvoice for a year or so, and you can't beat $10 a month for a dumb phone...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »
Airvoice is great!  I use it for my iPhone, but it's an old AT&T one.  Maybe the OP can sell the Verizon and buy an AT&T version.

My sister switched her Verizon iPhone 4 to Page Plus.  I'm sure you can glean good info in the super guide I.P linked upthread.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »
First you need to get Verizon to unlock your phones. Since you are out of contract they should be able to do that with a request.

There are two types of phones used in the US so you will need to use one compatible with Verizon's technology (sprint) or you will need to use someone cheaper that uses either the Verizon or Sprint network (such as Straight Talk).

The other technology works on AT&T or TMobile.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!