Author Topic: Cheapest scented candles  (Read 4858 times)

The King of Many Things

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cheapest scented candles
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
I was going to post this under throw down the gauntlet, because it's more of a challenge.
What's the lowest cost scented candles you can find?
I've found 4.99/pound.
That's at a regular grocery store in the greeting card section.
Any one find any cheaper?
Or can make your own for cheaper?
I'm going to try the odd lots store tomorrow. See what they can do.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheapest scented candles
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
Ikea has really cheap candles... usually Big Lots and similar stores will also have cheap ones.

The King of Many Things

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I don't routinely shop at either of those shops, so I would hate to make a special trip unless it was worth it.  What do they go for per pound? I'm finding 14.08/pound on Amazon, so online shopping probably isn't the way to go.  You don't have actual numbers on the ikea candles?

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
Don't know if prices are the same in store or not but here's Ikea's scented candle page online:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/decoration/10783/

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »
Thrift shops. I just got a new Home Interiors candle in my favorite scent (lilac, a little rare) for 2.99. That is on the high side of what I pay. Often find yankee (or off brand) jars for just a couple dollars.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
IKEA candles are really inexpensive.

I've had good luck in the clearance section at TJMaxx or Roth and similar such stores.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
Aldi has scented candles several times/year, and they are definitely as nice as the name brands - but they only have 3 scents at a time.

Otherwise, yeah, keep your eyes open at the thrift store.

The King of Many Things

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
I do appreciate the response.  but how much are they costing you?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I don't routinely shop at either of those shops, so I would hate to make a special trip unless it was worth it.  What do they go for per pound? I'm finding 14.08/pound on Amazon, so online shopping probably isn't the way to go.  You don't have actual numbers on the ikea candles?

Part of the issue is I am not sure what kinds of candles you are looking for. I do not buy candles by pound, per se. Ikea sells a pack of 30 scented tea light candles for $3.50, and the weight is listed as 15 oz... which is almost a pound. That sounds significantly cheaper than what you are looking at/for. Unscented gets you 100 tea lights for $4.99.

Scented: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40236360/

Unscented: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50097995/

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:32:09 AM »
I usually pay $3.99 for an 18 oz jar candle at Aldi.

When they have a scent we especially like, I buy a couple more the next week, so sometimes I buy a lot of candles and sometimes not. I change them out seasonally.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
I can't tell you price per pound, but I've stocked up a couple times at the Yankee Candle in the mall when they're running a 75% off sale. Usually they're trying to clear out the winter scents after Christmas, or clearning out the summery scents in September or so. I get the ones in the straight-sided jars because they make excellent storage cannisters after the candle is gone and the wax cleaned out.  IDK if they advertise the seasonal sales online, I have just been lucky to hit them now and then, even though I don't go to the mall often.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
^Those are amazing. We have one, whenever we want a new smell, just pop out the wax and put some new cubes in. Cheap and easy.

I thought I was gonna be smart and get an essential oil diffuser thing. I've already spilled it twice. OK, done with that and $15-20 worth of oil...

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 04:39:54 AM »
Warning, cheapest might not be best... We just bought a house where we had to wipe all walls and surfaces since it was covered in black soot. Also not great for your health

http://rainbowintl.com/blog/black-soot-deposition-the-sinister-side-of-scented

The King of Many Things

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 04:57:47 PM »
Just got back from Ollie's.  3.99 for 18 ounce candle.  That's $0.25 per ounce.  I'm pretty happy with that.  That's almost cheaper than buying the supplies and making them myself.  I've got a rough calculation of $0.22 per ounce if I went that route.  That's just on the wax. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
Dollar Tree has smaller jar candles as well as packs of tapers and the small stout ones for $1.  Might be worth checking them out. 

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »
If you must use cheapest candles then you shouldn't use candles. Only soy and beeswax candles aren't filling your lungs with soot.  This isn't an opinion.  I got a 10 ounce soy at Bog lots clearances for $4.50 last week but about $1 per ounce is reasonable regular price for soy. Root makes some of the best soy candles, however.