Author Topic: cheapest mattress w/o needing a chirporactor  (Read 3558 times)

soopy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
cheapest mattress w/o needing a chirporactor
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:27:54 AM »
Hello,

I know its all very subjective but what would be the minimum cost of a new-full sized-firm mattress without breaching the shitty mattress territory?

I am new to this game having stitched my own back home(not possible in USA) and prices of around 150$ on google are giving me an ulcer. Are these prices the norm?

I am slightly wussypants about wanting it new.

Thanks.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: cheapest mattress w/o needing a chirporactor
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:38:34 AM »
One thing I will never skimp on is a mattress.  I've slept on crappy ones, only to ditch them after a month or so because my back/hips were killing me.  I paid around $600 for mine (Sealy) and it gives me the support I need without the pain.  Even thinking about a $150 mattress makes me hurt.  Don't skimp too much when it comes to sleep.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:45:10 AM »
$150 isn't bad at all, actually

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:46 AM »
I got my firm king foam mattress from IKEA($350) after trying multiple higher ends. You got to lay on the floor samples to get a feel.

Got one firm queen memory foam mattress from amazon. It is good but I didn't much liked the memory foam compared to form foam one.

We didn't get the spring ones as other person sleep would get disturbed and we wanted something firm. Memory foam is too cozy.

If you are allergic,  the are organic stuff things too. In general if you aren't allergic or back issues anything works.

Internet things aren't bad either but don't go too cheap. Until my 24th birthday I slept on ,100% custom cotton filled beds made in our home. In USA those aren't possible to a slight degree.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:15 AM »
I second the Ikea suggestion - visit their store and lay down on the mattress to see which one feels the most comfortable. We have a Sealy with a 100% cotton topper and some memory foam sandwiched in that we paid $400 for about ten years back, just the mattress no springs because we have a slatted, elevated bed frame.
We'll be replacing with an Ikea mattress soon - we will not spend beyond $400, unless I win the lottery and then I'll get one of those adjustable beds where you can elevate the head or foot part of the mattress or both at the same time.

Casper and Leesa are good, popular brands in the $400 to $600 range, can be ordered online, free shipping. If they are sold on Amazon maybe you can use your Amazon credit card for a discount/extra rewards or use an Amazon giftcard to soften the financial blow:) - those are often on sale like $10 off a $50 giftcard - saving you a decent amount if you are smart about it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
Considering plenty of people pay thousands for mattresses.... why are you getting an ulcer from $150?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
A useful post: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/02/27/our-amazon-mattress-a-five-year-update/

$150 is dirt cheap for a mattress.

We opted to buy the spare bedroom mattress of a family member for $50 when they moved. Helped that it was a full, and no one wants those anymore. Barely used and something we slept on as guests anyway, so not the same "used textiles" worries. Perhaps look around in your own circle and see if anything is available?

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
I paid $399 with a Groupon for my mattress. It is comfortable (and firm).

If I were going to buy another mattress soon, I would buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7EPPDA/ref=twister_B07792YVXM?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I2QP7PNTXC5ZRR&colid=17M0L9EU10F84&th=1

$169 for a 12 inch mattress isn't bad at all. I'd suggest the 12 inch because all sheets are deep pocket sheets now and the fitted sheet moves around a lot with a thinner mattress. My husband complains about it every day.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
I paid $399 with a Groupon for my mattress. It is comfortable (and firm).

If I were going to buy another mattress soon, I would buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7EPPDA/ref=twister_B07792YVXM?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I2QP7PNTXC5ZRR&colid=17M0L9EU10F84&th=1

$169 for a 12 inch mattress isn't bad at all. I'd suggest the 12 inch because all sheets are deep pocket sheets now and the fitted sheet moves around a lot with a thinner mattress. My husband complains about it every day.

I got same thing but 8" for guest room. While it said firm, it was still too cozy for me and wife. But it's retty good though. I got it when it was on sale about $80 with the bed frame.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071CLZ9LV/ref=pd_aw_sim_196_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KW2R2HNARTMF7HT3T1KG&dpPl=1&dpID=61j53vtexPL

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
I want to hear more about stitching your own mattress back home

Why isn't it possible in USA?

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 11:21:24 PM »

Me too!

soopy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:24 AM »

The way it is done is you take an old beaten unshapely glob of a mattress made of cotton to these small retail stores/factories in your neighbourhood. They cut the outer layer open and remove the cotton. They segregate the good fibres and bad ones and about 70-80% of the mattress is still reusable even in a worn out mattress. They are able to do this rather easily since the cotton has laid out in the form of lattices(think of squares in a game of tic-tac-toe) with stitching. They remove the stitching and discard the bad lattices(basically the areas that have been heavily compressed like the ones in contact with your butt or hips). After adding the new cotton, they recompress the whole structure and then add stitching back to recreate the lattices. Finally, they add a mattress cover over this cotton.
This way mattress gets reused and no buys new ones.  They may add coconut or jute fibre to make it stiffer if you want a change in the firmness. Any bed bugs, dirt and grime if present is only in the outer layer and if you carefully remove it the cotton beneath is still safe.

I've slept for 5 years on a mattress whose cotton came from a bed my great-grandmother slept on. The cost of this whole thing is about 5$ and you do it once every 10 years or so.

You help out in the store by helping them cut the stitching, add the cover, etc.   

I feel it isn't possible in America because there are no small/independent businesses who will work with you and help you do it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:14:33 AM by soopy »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Your age and physical condition will dictate your tolerance for cheaper mattresses.  I've always had Simmons Beauty Rests, Tight-top, Firm, and swear by them.  I wouldn't even consider a $150 mattress.

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 11:39:45 PM »
Wow, that mattress maintenance economy is really cool, I didn't know that existed in other parts of the world

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:14 PM »

The way it is done is you take an old beaten unshapely glob of a mattress made of cotton to these small retail stores/factories in your neighbourhood. They cut the outer layer open and remove the cotton. They segregate the good fibres and bad ones and about 70-80% of the mattress is still reusable even in a worn out mattress. They are able to do this rather easily since the cotton has laid out in the form of lattices(think of squares in a game of tic-tac-toe) with stitching. They remove the stitching and discard the bad lattices(basically the areas that have been heavily compressed like the ones in contact with your butt or hips). After adding the new cotton, they recompress the whole structure and then add stitching back to recreate the lattices. Finally, they add a mattress cover over this cotton.
This way mattress gets reused and no buys new ones.  They may add coconut or jute fibre to make it stiffer if you want a change in the firmness. Any bed bugs, dirt and grime if present is only in the outer layer and if you carefully remove it the cotton beneath is still safe.

I've slept for 5 years on a mattress whose cotton came from a bed my great-grandmother slept on. The cost of this whole thing is about 5$ and you do it once every 10 years or so.

You help out in the store by helping them cut the stitching, add the cover, etc.   

I feel it isn't possible in America because there are no small/independent businesses who will work with you and help you do it.

This sounds amazing. Where is it?? I love this idea. I'm guessing India?

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
We sleep on a cotton Gold Bond brand futon mattress that’s over ten years old now.  It’s compressed over the years, and I’ve added luxury by adding a wool topper, but if you’re looking for firm it’s a good option and there’s no springs to go bad!  If I recall, mine was around $150 back then.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »

You are never going to find a bed that cheap/awesome here.