Author Topic: cheapest kinds of jeeps/trucks?  (Read 3139 times)

fizzgig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
cheapest kinds of jeeps/trucks?
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
This question was inspired by me really not liking having to use a strapped-to-the-trunk bike rack this weekend. I currently drive a 16 year old 4 door chevy cavalier with 50K miles on it. I bike to work half the time and live only a few miles away when I take the car. I looked around to get an idea of what trucks cost and was floored. Sellers even asking 5K or more for a truck with over 150K miles. Whatever happened to small, modest trucks like they used to have in the 40s? Most trucks these days are like giant spaceships. I'm basically entertaining the idea of something to hold bikes and an added bonus being able to transport something easily doesn't hurt. Just trying to prepare for a future vehicle.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: cheapest kinds of jeeps/trucks?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
What do you not like about trunk racks?  Maybe you're just using a shitty one.  I've got a Saris Bones that has been nothing but excellent for transporting a couple large bikes around.

If you're really not sold on trunk racks for whatever reason, maybe look into getting a trailer hitch for your car.  You won't have the towing capacity of a truck, but should be able to do small trailers/wagons and hitch mounted bike racks quite well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
This question was inspired by me really not liking having to use a strapped-to-the-trunk bike rack this weekend. I currently drive a 16 year old 4 door chevy cavalier with 50K miles on it. I bike to work half the time and live only a few miles away when I take the car. I looked around to get an idea of what trucks cost and was floored. Sellers even asking 5K or more for a truck with over 150K miles. Whatever happened to small, modest trucks like they used to have in the 40s? Most trucks these days are like giant spaceships. I'm basically entertaining the idea of something to hold bikes and an added bonus being able to transport something easily doesn't hurt. Just trying to prepare for a future vehicle.

Like this?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
I'm a pretty big fan of the Ford Ranger, or the sleeper pick which is the Mazda B-series (b2300, b3000, b4000).  The B-series Mazdas are Rangers with Mazda Badging and slight cosmetic differences at a reduced price.  The 4.0L is pretty bad on fuel, I only get 18-20 MPG, but I don't drive it a whole lot so it serves it's purpose when needed.  The 3.0L is a Taurus engine and gets a bad rap.  The 2.3L is gutless but gets great MPG.  I personally like the 1993-1997 generation as the "value" pick, the 2001-2008 are great too (my current is a 2004), but are going to be 2-3X as expensive.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
The ultimate and affordable vehicle for outdoor pursuits is the Mitsubishi Delica. It allows me to go anywhere (4x4 with excellent off-road ability), relatively economical for its size (diesel model does 10 litre/100km) and powerful enough for highway cruising (turbo intercooler), has 7 seats that can be converted into a comfy double bed, and can hold everything we need for camping and road tripping including bikes and kayak. The cool factor is a bonus. And like other similar Japanese vehicles, it is practically indestructible. I really don't understand why this vehicle has not been marketed in North America but with a pricetag between $5,000 and $10,000 for a 15-year old vehicle (only vehicles older than 15 years can be imported), it is becoming the vehicle of choice for outdoor enthusiasts and road-trippers here, especially on the West Coast.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
I just sold my 86 toyota p/u which was great but with the 22r, I was tired of flooring it to stay at highway speeds. Perhaps a 22re can do better. If you want a toyota and don't need to go >70 often, I would recommend the older no model named pickups. Or, a mitsubishi, ford ranger, or other similar compact pickup from the 80s through the 90s. I've noted that t100s and tacomas carry some sort of premium and would not recommend those. You could also probably find a K10 or 1500 for 3-5K in decent shape if you are fine with lower gas mileage.
Or heck you could totally go ute if you just want to throw a bike in the bed and go pick up a subaru baja. I've seen those for 3-5K here.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »