Author Topic: Cheapest accurate pedometer?  (Read 5570 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Cheapest accurate pedometer?
« on: March 04, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »
I've read reviews online, but I would love some mustachian viewpoints.

Currently I use my iPhone and it tells me I'm doing 10,000+ daily! I walk a lot but my goal is to get up to 20,000 average. So ideally, a pedometer that helps me track progress, and is accurate and cheap. I know about Fitbit zip but I'm hoping for a cheaper option :)

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheapest accurate pedometer?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »
I'm sure there are cheaper out there, but I have the Jawbone UP Move - it's $24 on amazon right now. I also have a wristband to go along with it, but for the first ~month I was using the clip it comes with, which works generally well.

I've been using it since Christmas, and enjoying the data. It's about as reliable as Fitbit. Jawbone's app is pretty good - unfortunately they put out a buggy update when I started but since then it's been working out and I like the motivational comments even if they're corny. The sleep tracking is good, too - I sleep really poorly sometimes so I like being able to see what's happening.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't handle non-stepping athletics well. That and higher specificity sleep data are why I'm considering one of the fancy ones with a heart rate monitor - but the UP Move does the basic tracking well.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »

I'm sure there are cheaper out there, but I have the Jawbone UP Move - it's $24 on amazon right now. I also have a wristband to go along with it, but for the first ~month I was using the clip it comes with, which works generally well.

I've been using it since Christmas, and enjoying the data. It's about as reliable as Fitbit. Jawbone's app is pretty good - unfortunately they put out a buggy update when I started but since then it's been working out and I like the motivational comments even if they're corny. The sleep tracking is good, too - I sleep really poorly sometimes so I like being able to see what's happening.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't handle non-stepping athletics well. That and higher specificity sleep data are why I'm considering one of the fancy ones with a heart rate monitor - but the UP Move does the basic tracking well.

This sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks for the tip!!!

MuleKC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
I've recently been looking a cheaper pedometer as well. I first tried a Xiamoi Mi band which I liked, but it wouldn't hold a charge and trying to work with their customer service was absolutely horrible. I then got a Jawbone Up Move which was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan. I felt like it was clunky. I recently got a Misfit Flash which is currently on sale for $20. It's very low profile and comfortable to wear. The thing that I have been enjoying about the Flash is that you don't have to worry about it or take it off. It's also waterproof up to 30 meters so I can shower in it. It is able to tell when I fall asleep so I don't have to tell it when I feel asleep and woke up to track my sleep numbers. It comes with a band unlike the Up Move whose band costs an additional $15, and you can log none step activities. I also don't have to charge it as it's powered by a watch battery that is supposed to last 4-6 months. I couldn't suggest Misfit products more, and the Flash is cheaper than the Up Move and Zip.

Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:15:23 PM by MuleKC »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »
Thanks MuleKC! I just bought a POS $7 one from Walmart and it suuuuucks. I think the misfit flash sounds really good :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »
Only one question; did you find it useful for tracking progress? That's my main priority. I want to go for 20,000 steps a day! I average 10,000 right now.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
Just to piggy back and threadjack, is there an accurate pedometer where the count is just displayed on a little screen?  I don't have a smart phone to link it to.  I don't mind charting my own progress but it seems like the kind I'm talking about are the cheap little POS that don't work well.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »

Just to piggy back and threadjack, is there an accurate pedometer where the count is just displayed on a little screen?  I don't have a smart phone to link it to.  I don't mind charting my own progress but it seems like the kind I'm talking about are the cheap little POS that don't work well.

Good question.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
What are the negatives about using the iPhone to track progress?  Is it not very accurate? 

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »

Good question - I think you'd have a hard time finding a "fitness band" that would work. Most of the popular ones require a phone/tablet/etc even if they have a display screen. Best bet is probably looking for an accelerometer style pedometer (the pendulum ones seem pretty inaccurate) - maybe like this one? http://www.amazon.com/Pedusa-Tri-Axis-Multi-Function-Pedometer-Holster/dp/B009XID80O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1457578167&sr=1-1

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »
I've recently been looking a cheaper pedometer as well. I first tried a Xiamoi Mi band which I liked, but it wouldn't hold a charge and trying to work with their customer service was absolutely horrible. I then got a Jawbone Up Move which was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan. I felt like it was clunky. I recently got a Misfit Flash which is currently on sale for $20. It's very low profile and comfortable to wear. The thing that I have been enjoying about the Flash is that you don't have to worry about it or take it off. It's also waterproof up to 30 meters so I can shower in it. It is able to tell when I fall asleep so I don't have to tell it when I feel asleep and woke up to track my sleep numbers. It comes with a band unlike the Up Move whose band costs an additional $15, and you can log none step activities. I also don't have to charge it as it's powered by a watch battery that is supposed to last 4-6 months. I couldn't suggest Misfit products more, and the Flash is cheaper than the Up Move and Zip.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I bought it! :) Thanks for the tip! The cost + functionality won me over.

I am trying to figure out how to put in customized goals into the Misfit Flash... let me know if you know how.

ptgearguy

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 07:23:24 PM »
Like yourself I am a huge believer in fitness through walking. I am a physiotherapist so it is ingrained in my values and profession. I aim to get an average of 20k per day and will achieve this an average on most days. My 7 day average is 22000 at the moment.

I really feel that 10000 is a minimum for general health. I think close to 15k is a better number for good health. Anything under 10k and your health will decline faster than it should. To me that is having your hair on fire with debt.

Health covers many things including finacial, social and physical. You are not helping yourself if you miss any of the health aspects imo. 

Keep up the good work everyone

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »

Like yourself I am a huge believer in fitness through walking. I am a physiotherapist so it is ingrained in my values and profession. I aim to get an average of 20k per day and will achieve this an average on most days. My 7 day average is 22000 at the moment.

I really feel that 10000 is a minimum for general health. I think close to 15k is a better number for good health. Anything under 10k and your health will decline faster than it should. To me that is having your hair on fire with debt.

Health covers many things including finacial, social and physical. You are not helping yourself if you miss any of the health aspects imo. 

Keep up the good work everyone

Wow great job!

You should join our Throw Down the Gauntlet thread for doing at least 10,000 steps a day.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
What are the negatives about using the iPhone to track progress?  Is it not very accurate?
More than half the time mine phone is somewhere other than on my person.  The counter, the desk, the hands of my children.  If I'm moving during those times its not tracking my progress.  My dh uses the one on his iPhone but it lives in his pocket waking to sleeping.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
You might be able to get a free pedometer through your PCP / health insurance.  Looks like you already bought one, but something for others to consider.  I think through the health system I'm most familiar w/ they only give you a free one if your BMI is in the overweight + category.  My health insurance also gives me "points" for doing things like answering an online quiz about my current health, doing biometric screenings, etc. and then those points can be used toward health items (a pedometer is an option - I already have one so I opted for a food scale).  Just a thought - you're paying for the insurance so try to squeeze all the benefits you can out of it!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!