Author Topic: cheaper iphone plan?  (Read 4620 times)

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
cheaper iphone plan?
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »
My iPhone bill from AT&T is huge - almost $100/month.  I've had the same phone for years, I think.  Is there a way to cut down on my bill?  Some people have recommended finding a prepaid service.  But the market outside the "standard" iPhone /att arrangement seems confusing to me.  Any suggestions?

Thx.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
Re: cheaper iphone plan?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:12 AM »
There is a monster thread on this topic here.

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
Thanks.  I just switched from AT&T ($95/month) to Straight Talk ($45/month).  I'm looking forward to having the same service and an extra $600 post-tax per year. 

It seems like the only thing I'll be missing is visual voice mail.  I can live with that.

Lavender

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »
Get a google voice number, and set it up so your iPhone voicemails go to GV, not to your iPhone number. Download the GV app, and you got visual voicemail again, more or less.

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
I'll have to try that.  I've now had a few voicemails that I've missed because of this.  The voicemails have been important, so this has become an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
I've found a $19 prepaid (NZ) that gives 600mb Data - this is what I'm aiming for when the iphone's contract runs out in December!  This will take me from $45 pm - a saving of $26 pm, which saves $312 over a year.  Not much, but it all adds up :)  Woohoo!

offroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
Thanks.  I just switched from AT&T ($95/month) to Straight Talk ($45/month).  I'm looking forward to having the same service and an extra $600 post-tax per year. 

It seems like the only thing I'll be missing is visual voice mail.  I can live with that.

When my contract at verizon runs out, will likely switch to this plan.  But of course then will need to sell the verizon Iphone 4 (jailbroken), and get an AT&T Iphone4S international version (jailbroken) to work on the Straightalk service.

hope the logistics means I do not spend much on this all.

SJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
Just for the OP, from MMM today: Our New $10.00 Per Month iPhone Plans