Author Topic: Cheaper alternative to the Lovesac Bean Bag Chair?  (Read 5982 times)

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cheaper alternative to the Lovesac Bean Bag Chair?
« on: January 09, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
I recently visited a super spendy pants friend and had a chance to use what amounts to a giant, plush, surprisingly comfortable bean bag chair, called a Lovesac: https://www.lovesac.com/search/sacs/bean-bag-chairs (not the best name choice, me thinks).

I have like zero furniture and I'd love to get one of these, but I'm not paying a grand for one. And most bean bag chairs I've used have generally sucked and would not be worth the purchase for me.

Anyone know if there is a cheaper knock off of these that retains most of its advantages over actual beanbag chairs?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheaper alternative to the Lovesac Bean Bag Chair?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 05:54:16 PM »
Some years ago, I bought a used SuperSac from a house in an expensive-looking neighborhood for $200. If you're willing to go used, the deals are out there.

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:24:43 AM »
considering this also buying a used one with washable cover.. any other reviews? How do they go over time?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 04:34:54 AM »
The website shows the general shape and seaming, and says a Durafoam filling.  It should be possible to make one, or have a local tailor/dressmaker/seamstress/upholsterer make one.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 04:26:42 PM »
The website shows the general shape and seaming, and says a Durafoam filling.  It should be possible to make one, or have a local tailor/dressmaker/seamstress/upholsterer make one.

I thought about this option too.  I think when I figured the cost of the durafoam it was really expensive.

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
I would have thought foam would be quite cheap

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 09:11:41 AM »

Quality / dense foam is shockingly expensive.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »

I think it was related to the type of foam.  Also it is way more foam than you think.  For the largest one I believe it has 80lbs of foam.  On Alibaba the foam cost range is $2.50 to $4/kg or $5.50 to $8.80 / lb.    Even at the low end that is $440 for 80lbs.  Then add the cost of shipping that much foam.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
I know this is not a bean bag. But this Ikea chair is surprisingly comfortable for the price.
Poang chair
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79240790/#/S89197753

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!