Author Topic: cheap winter utopias?  (Read 3742 times)

scrubbyfish

cheap winter utopias?
« on: August 06, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »
After crazy isolation last winter, I committed to getting kid and I to community this coming winter. For me, "community" means: sharing life with warm, friendly people who like to do stuff together, converse, etc, all day, and stuff for 12 year old to do on site.

Lots of my neighbours head to places in Yuma, etc (hence the isolation up here) but their groups are kid-free.

Anyone know of such a utopia they recommend? Anywhere in the world is fine. We'd probably do 30 days, 1-3x.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: cheap winter utopias?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »
My first thought would be Baja, but Jon Snow knows much more about it than I do.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »
Do you home school?
It might be tough to find kid-friendly groups in the winter becasue many kids will be in class. Are there homeschooling forums where you could find other familes who aren't spending all day in school?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
There are homeschool groups, but that's super different from living in community 24/7. We seek the latter for Canada's winter :)

I checked out Meadowlark's Seal Beach Leisure World, see if we could live there half of each year. Alas, neither of us are 55.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:14:03 AM »
Yeah, I was pondering buying and living in it half of each year. But yep, the 55 thing was an issue. But, you've just hinted that all I have to do is find a 55 yo American to marry! Except I want to keep my kid, too.

No SBLWs for families, hey? (Very quiet, mellow families who don't like screaming kids? Or screaming adults?)

We don't need kids specifically. LF prefers people much older or much younger than own age, and I'm not a big believer in grouping people by age. And there's always kids at public pools, playgrounds, etc, so it's always been easy to get him hooked up for doses. But for sure there needs to be stuff for him to enjoy—people to talk lots with, and any activities. He likes old people activities. Too bad SBLW won't let him in.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:25 AM »
My winter utopia would be playing video games all day with fun people from around the world right in the comfort of my own home. The games they make these days are amazing.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
My winter utopia would be playing video games all day with fun people from around the world right in the comfort of my own home.

:)))))    I love being solo many hours, and LOVE being home, but I need at least a couple hours per day, average, with Live Humans. Maybe when I'm in my utopia, hiding from all the people, I'll connect with you via a game.

Try sending a pm to ladystashinbaja.

Okay! Would be great to help out on a farm longer term.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
Check out New Mexico for RVing adventures. There may be some rentals you could get into.

When I was looking into RV winter planning, NM came up often as a very affordable place to spend the winter months. Something about an inexpensive annual state park license, I think. Boondocking (parking your RV somewhere without hookups) is an option anywhere.