Author Topic: Cheap Vacation or Noooo  (Read 2792 times)

metamorphosing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cheap Vacation or Noooo
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:50:07 AM »
Hey All,

I've been battling with an idea. Looking for some comments
Our family has had a rough year. DS1 off to college, DS2 being the only one at home.  I'm working a fulltime job and a side hustle, DW changed jobs one month ago and has a side hustle that does not put her back in the houses until after 9pm each night and we are both attending online school full time. At the end of the day we are sooooo tired. Its not funny. 2 days last week, my wife walked in the door through money on the table that she had made, and headed directly for the bed.I think she was sleep before her head hit the pillow.
 Im thinking about a 3 day vacation; cheap....... away from the house, work etc.
But the bills are behind. But I dont want us to burnout. We have some big goals.
What do you think?

undercover

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheap Vacation or Noooo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:58:06 AM »
I think you'd probably benefit more from both of you taking time off and spending it around the house sorting out problems rather than trying to cram in a trip. It sounds inconsequential either way.

It sounds like you're both just worn out from being overworked and no amount of vacation is going to permanently fix that. Try to find ways to work smarter and not harder? Maybe you can find ways to minimize expenses so that you can both focus on school more and DW can give up the second job? That would have a much greater impact than a vacation.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:16:25 AM »
If you're behind on the bills, then, no, it's not a good idea to spend money on a vacation.

However, it seems you're both really close to burning out due to stress, so I would make it a priority to get some days off together to rest and spend time with each other at home doing things that don't cost money. I understand the desire to go somewhere else, but unless you can do that without spending money you don't have I wouldn't recommend that in your situation. Personally, in our family we have someone who lives close to us but not in an inner city environment but in the middle of nature. When that person is away on a trip, we like to spend the weekend at their place to get some rest and some change of scenery. 

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:51:51 AM »
"Vacation" can mean an awful lot...

Are we talking jet down to Vegas or somesuch for a nonstop binge spending?

Then, no.  Give yourself one face punch. 

Maybe put up a tent someplace quiet to hang out together, rest, set fire to a pile of wood, and not spend any money? 

Then, yes! I find such things good for the soul. 

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:29:45 AM »
Honestly, a vacation is a lot of work. And then go you get home, and you are behind on laundry and have a bunch of catch-up work to do.

Take a vacation from work. But don't go anywhere or do anything.

Just sit at home, lay in bed, watch Netflix. Do some laundry and small sessions of decluttering. Breathe. Kiss.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:35:21 AM »
Staycation absolutely. Don't go anywhere. Even camping takes work.

Make it your mission to stay in pjs all day and cuddle.

metamorphosing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:51:53 AM »

So I guess a stay-cation it is.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
When my schedule gets that insanely hectic - the best gift is to stay in bed all weekend long. And i'm someone who adores travel and thinks nothing of going away every weekend.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
No vacation.  Do Free or Near Free things and chill (walk in the park, free museum day, etc.).