Author Topic: Cheap Safe Online Compounding Pharmacy?  (Read 9494 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Cheap Safe Online Compounding Pharmacy?
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am seeking to get some prescription medications compounded that are not covered by my health insurer. Thus, I will be paying out of pocket. I am seeking items that I would be using an ongoing basis and thus I am sensitive to price. I live in the US. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive online compounding pharmacy?
Thanks!
Neil

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
Re: Cheap Safe Online Compounding Pharmacy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
I don't know how much you rely on your prescription.  My only experience with compounding pharmacies was when my liver transplant son was a baby.  His immune suppression drugs had to be compounded into liquids.  I had a great local pharmacist who gave me his home and cell number do the compounding.  To me, it was worth knowing the guy who had my kid's life in his hands. 

As far as price, I would just google "online compounding pharmacies" and tell them what you are taking and that it will be cash price. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Given the labor required to do the compounding (and my guess that a compounded drug is not likely to have a three month shelf life), I wouldn't be surprised if local pharmacies turn out not to be more expensive.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
Depends on what you want compounded. For hormones try women's international. For ldn belmar has a great price. And check your local compounding pharmacies as well.

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:59:03 AM »
Price is one consideration, but so is quality. Getting an inexpensive product that isn't truly beneficial isn't a good deal. So I suggest you start by looking at quality pharmacies.

You're getting a prescription from your doctor, so start with the pharmacy your doctor recommends. Ask your doctor if they can recommend more than one. Ideally, your doctor should be familiar with the pharmacies because she should have a lot of experience with prescribing compounded medications. If she doesn't have that experience, you might need to see someone else.

Go to your local pharmacy and ask their advice based on your specific compound. Do some searches online. Some pharmacies specialize in certain compounds. For example, I take one now from an excellent pharmacy, but I might need a second compound medication soon for a different condition and that pharmacy simply doesn't make compounds of that type. So at this stage you should be looking for pharmacies that simply make your compound. Get a list of options first, then look into quality and price. Check in with your state's Department of Public Health (or whatever it's called in your state) for quality reviews and lists of options.

More than anything, I'd suggest asking around in patient groups both in person and online. Facebook, Yahoo, and Twitter all have a lot of patient groups with people from all over the world. Take their advice with a grain of salt, of course - you don't know them - but consider what they have to say. I've gotten good recommendations for doctors, treatment, and resources from patient groups on Facebook, and an incredible amount of information from Twitter. In fact, most of what I do on Twitter is health-related.

You might also want to consider posting your medical condition on the forum here. Maybe others with the same or similar conditions have experience with compound medications and can suggest pharmacies for you to try.

Good luck!

giggles

• Stubble
    • Kiva - Change the world with a $25 loan
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
We use http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/

but I have never used it for human meds, only pets! YMMY.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:08:32 AM by giggles »

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
We use http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/

but I have never used it for human meds, only pets! YMMY.
Hi Giggles,
Thanks for the referral. I will look into the pharmacy.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
Price is one consideration, but so is quality. Getting an inexpensive product that isn't truly beneficial isn't a good deal. So I suggest you start by looking at quality pharmacies.

You're getting a prescription from your doctor, so start with the pharmacy your doctor recommends. Ask your doctor if they can recommend more than one. Ideally, your doctor should be familiar with the pharmacies because she should have a lot of experience with prescribing compounded medications. If she doesn't have that experience, you might need to see someone else.

Go to your local pharmacy and ask their advice based on your specific compound. Do some searches online. Some pharmacies specialize in certain compounds. For example, I take one now from an excellent pharmacy, but I might need a second compound medication soon for a different condition and that pharmacy simply doesn't make compounds of that type. So at this stage you should be looking for pharmacies that simply make your compound. Get a list of options first, then look into quality and price. Check in with your state's Department of Public Health (or whatever it's called in your state) for quality reviews and lists of options.

More than anything, I'd suggest asking around in patient groups both in person and online. Facebook, Yahoo, and Twitter all have a lot of patient groups with people from all over the world. Take their advice with a grain of salt, of course - you don't know them - but consider what they have to say. I've gotten good recommendations for doctors, treatment, and resources from patient groups on Facebook, and an incredible amount of information from Twitter. In fact, most of what I do on Twitter is health-related.

You might also want to consider posting your medical condition on the forum here. Maybe others with the same or similar conditions have experience with compound medications and can suggest pharmacies for you to try.

Good luck!
Hi PFgal,
Thanks for the tips. I will reach out to my state's DPH. Unfortunately, the relevant doctors' offices were not much help. Likewise, I struck out on the patient forums I subscribe to. I may repost as responses vary from time to time.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »
Given the labor required to do the compounding (and my guess that a compounded drug is not likely to have a three month shelf life), I wouldn't be surprised if local pharmacies turn out not to be more expensive.
Hi Jack,
Local pharmacies may indeed be competitive but I would like to be able to price compare.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
My vet uses Roadrunner Pharmacy in Phoenix.  Prices are lower than the local compounding pharmacy and the prescriptions are filled and delivered in a couple of days.  They only do veterinary prescriptions, so they can't help the OP. 

http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
Depends on what you want compounded. For hormones try women's international. For ldn belmar has a great price. And check your local compounding pharmacies as well.
Hi frugal drummer,
Thanks for the referral to IDN Belmar.
I will definitely look into them

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
Strohecker's Pharmacy in Portland does phone orders. http://www.stroheckersrx.com/

I used to use them for my T prescription before I decided to stop transitioning. They will ship all over the country and their prices are very reasonable.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »
Talked to GF about this tonight (she's a PharmD at a compounding pharmacy).  Her response was basically that, while different pharmacies will set their own prices, all of them have to pay labor for the pharmacist.  So 'cheap' will be hard to find.  It will likely be a matter of 'cheaper' than XYZ pharmacy.

Good luck!

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:03:45 AM »
I had good luck using inhousepharmacy.biz. They were way, way WAY cheaper than my local compounding pharmacy - like 75% cheaper, IIRC.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
Strohecker's Pharmacy in Portland does phone orders. http://www.stroheckersrx.com/

I used to use them for my T prescription before I decided to stop transitioning. They will ship all over the country and their prices are very reasonable.
Thanks Gamer Girl! I will check them out.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
I had good luck using inhousepharmacy.biz. They were way, way WAY cheaper than my local compounding pharmacy - like 75% cheaper, IIRC.
Hi Course11,
I really like the sound of 75% cheaper. I will look into them soonest. Thanks!

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
Talked to GF about this tonight (she's a PharmD at a compounding pharmacy).  Her response was basically that, while different pharmacies will set their own prices, all of them have to pay labor for the pharmacist.  So 'cheap' will be hard to find.  It will likely be a matter of 'cheaper' than XYZ pharmacy.

Good luck!
Hi Zataks,
Thanks for inquiring on my behalf with GF. I have no doubt she is right about cheap being hard to find but 5% cheaper still helps.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!