Author Topic: Cheap, last-minute airline deals?  (Read 2582 times)

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
Cheap, last-minute airline deals?
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
Hi,
Where can I go to get the cheapest, last-minute airplane tickets?  I'm looking for a site that offers alerts (via email or text) for last-minute, cheap flights. 

I'm not interested in the credit card miles at this point.  Just looking to get the alerts so if something is available that fits my schedule...who knows?  Maybe I'll be on my way to Paris :)

Any help is appreciated, thank you!  -CC

pxpaulx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheap, last-minute airline deals?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:31:01 AM »
My wife has been using sky scanner. I think it is just an aggregating sure, but I'm sure they'd have notification options. Flights to Europe have been insanely cheap 3-6 months out right now.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
I use airfare watchdog http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/.  They can send you a daily email with notifications from your city, to a certain city, or for a certain route. 

Also, for domestic departures, Spirit Airlines has some amazing deals if you can travel light and last minute.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »
Even though you say you aren't interested in credit card miles, the blogs that cover them are still the best for airline deals, especially what are called "mistake fares"--following them will get you much better deals than any service that emails "deals."

Two examples from earlier this week:
NYC to Poland, $316 round trip.
NYC to Cebu, Philippines for $174 round trip.

Often they post mistake fares to purchase with cash, because using points on such cheap flights would be an inefficient use of points.  So start following them, IMO.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
Even though you say you aren't interested in credit card miles, the blogs that cover them are still the best for airline deals, especially what are called "mistake fares"--following them will get you much better deals than any service that emails "deals."

Two examples from earlier this week:
NYC to Poland, $316 round trip.
NYC to Cebu, Philippines for $174 round trip.

Often they post mistake fares to purchase with cash, because using points on such cheap flights would be an inefficient use of points.  So start following them, IMO.  :)

Thanks for bringing this up. I hadn't thought about it, but will definitely be following some of these sites from now on.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!