Author Topic: Cheap Disney Anaheim tickets? Is this even possible?  (Read 2928 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Cheap Disney Anaheim tickets? Is this even possible?
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »
The only potential discount I am eligible is AAA membership. We are looking to visit Disney Anaheim in April and the current 3 day ticket for a family of 3 is $880. Seems excessive but DD has been asking us to take her and I've been delaying for the longest time.

Is there a way I could find a better price?

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheap Disney Anaheim tickets? Is this even possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
They basically never have discounts. The only discounts I ever see are for California residents or for season passes.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
They basically never have discounts. The only discounts I ever see are for California residents or for season passes.

I thought you were a California resident @jamesbond007 ?

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »
If you're a Cali resident that would be the cheapest way.  Maybe check Undercover Tourist.  Other than those and AAA (maybe AARP if you're old enough?) Disney doesn't give really deep discounts.  It's expensive, that's for sure :(.

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
Having a family member that works there is highly recommended :). I have a family member who can let 3 people in for free each day. Too bad I live closer to Disney World.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:17:05 PM by mrsnamemustache »

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 02:14:52 PM »

Yep. I live in CA. I will check. Thanks for the tips.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:46:57 PM »

Yep. I live in CA. I will check. Thanks for the tips.
Definitely check on discounts for CA residents. I'm a FL resident and Disneyworld offers me deep discounts on 3 day tickets during their slower times of year.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »
If you have the Target Redcard you can get 5% back on Disney gift cards and use those to pay.  Make sure to pick a low time, they have different ticket prices based on expected attendance/peak level.

Not much else I know of, though the buttons for 1st visit are free souvenirs, you go to the town hall (on the left in the entrance area of Disneyland) to “register” and the staff give you whatever buttons you qualify for (1st visit, birthday, etc).

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:03 AM »
You have to be a SOUTHERN California resident to get the discount:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-01-07/disneyland-rolls-out-ticket-discounts-for-socal-residents%3f_amp=true

Are the 3 tickets per SOCAL resident tied to a name/ID?  Or can the 3 tickets be given to someone else and/or used on the same visit?

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
You have to be a SOUTHERN California resident to get the discount:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-01-07/disneyland-rolls-out-ticket-discounts-for-socal-residents%3f_amp=true

Are the 3 tickets per SOCAL resident tied to a name/ID?  Or can the 3 tickets be given to someone else and/or used on the same visit?

Looks like you have to show ID proving where you live (those zip codes) in order to get those tickets.  We have the same thing here in Florida, as in you have to show proof of residency in order to get the discount.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »

Looks like you have to show ID proving where you live (those zip codes) in order to get those tickets.  We have the same thing here in Florida, as in you have to show proof of residency in order to get the discount.

Yes, that makes sense.  My question though is if you get the 3 passes for $199, can you use the 3 passes on the same visit.  For example, I buy this special deal and I want to bring my two friends with me.  Can I use the 3 passes that way?  Or can I only use the passes, meaning I visit Disneyland 3 times within a year?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 02:49:32 PM »

Yes, that makes sense.  My question though is if you get the 3 passes for $199, can you use the 3 passes on the same visit.  For example, I buy this special deal and I want to bring my two friends with me.  Can I use the 3 passes that way?  Or can I only use the passes, meaning I visit Disneyland 3 times within a year?
article says 3 separate visits

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »

article says 3 separate visits

3 separate visits and only you can use it.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
The question is why anyone would want to go to a theme park. It's paying money to stand in line and get passed by people who paid more money for the feeling of privilege they get passing you in line.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »
The question is why anyone would want to go to a theme park. It's paying money to stand in line and get passed by people who paid more money for the feeling of privilege they get passing you in line.
It depends on how you like to spend your time.  We have been to Disneyland once, shortly after my older kid turned 8, for a birthday trip.  We had 5 people, went for 2 days (with 2 nights in a hotel), and got the Southern Cal resident discount - this was several years ago.  I'd always been pretty anti-Disney, WHY would you spend that money?

After the trip, well now I get it.  I was pretty amazed at ALL THE THINGS.  We went during the week (spring break), it was not spring break for any place nearby (was for Oregon, Colorado, and Idaho...saw a lot of people from there).  Thus, the lines were not very long.  We also went early, so managed to ride a couple of a our favorite rides 2 times back to back.

I was pretty much amazed at how clean, well run, and entertaining everything was.  It's no wonder that it is expensive (plus: people are crazy about Disney).  Squeaky clean, entertainment literally everywhere.  It was FUN.  I have a few friends (adults in their 60s) who have annual passes and go a LOT, and know all the tricks for when to go (time of year, and time of day).  So if we ever decide to go back, I'll pump him for info.  (My younger kid doesn't remember the trip, he was 1.5.  My nieces and SIL LOVE Disney, go to Disney World a lot.  They may be visiting this summer.  If they do, we will likely go.)

Honestly though, my favorite theme park is Legoland.  We go almost annually.  Much cheaper than Disney (though further away for us).  Shorter lines, fantastic things built out of legos to see.  I love Legos, and I enjoy it.  We aren't likely to go this year, but last year we went to the original one.

Given a choice of vacation, my very first choice is what we did over Thanksgiving - a few days in a remote cabin, no cell service, in a new place where we can hike during the day, and play games and drink hot cocoa at night.  I love active vacations - beaches, hiking in the mountains or forests...however, I'm not the only member of the family.  I'm happy to spend some time at a theme park occasionally.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 11:25:56 AM »

Well, you know despite being mustachian, I want my DD to have her moments of fun. She will grow out of it soon and she is mustachian in her own way. It's not always about the money.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 04:48:44 PM »
Thanks for the multiple responses.

And for what it's worth, Disney would have to pay me to step inside one of their parks.  I only ask because my immediate family lives in SoCal and the rest of the family live overseas.  When we get family/friend visitors--Disneyland and Vegas are pretty much on their bucket list.  So I was asking for my SoCal family--help them save a few dollars when they have to play tourist guide to the rest of the family.