Author Topic: Cheap & Compact Way To Store two Bikes  (Read 4501 times)

Acg

• Stubble
Cheap & Compact Way To Store two Bikes
« on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »
I'm not sure how many of you have seen my other thread but we have twins on the way and we're trying to make sure we're maximizing the use of all of the space in our 1,000 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment before they come.  We have a foyer area in our apartment that we currently have the bike rack in the attached picture setup.  My wife's bike is currently in the indoor trainer, so it's not pictured but we need a solution for two bikes. Do you guys have any ideas for storage that takes up less space?  And before someone suggests it, I just wanted to point out that I already asked our super if we could store them in the basement and got rejected.  So I'm looking for a solution that we can use in our apartment.  I figured you all might have some good suggestions since bike riding is so prevalent in this forum.  Thanks.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap & Compact Way To Store two Bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
When we were in college, we used a 2/4 and made a jack by drilling lengthwise at one end.  We then took a scrap piece of lumber and screwed it to the bottom.  Another scrap of lumber had a hold drilled through it.  Using a carriage bolt and some washers, we jacked the 2/4 against the ceiling (similar to what you have now).   A little more scrap lumber and vinyl hooks and presto a 2 bike rack. This is a pretty good representation of what we did -

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0a/1d/ce/0a1dce2a1d8e1f071372de446e7d52de.jpg

Acg

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
When we were in college, we used a 2/4 and made a jack by drilling lengthwise at one end.  We then took a scrap piece of lumber and screwed it to the bottom.  Another scrap of lumber had a hold drilled through it.  Using a carriage bolt and some washers, we jacked the 2/4 against the ceiling (similar to what you have now).   A little more scrap lumber and vinyl hooks and presto a 2 bike rack. This is a pretty good representation of what we did -

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0a/1d/ce/0a1dce2a1d8e1f071372de446e7d52de.jpg

Thanks but that's essentially the setup that I have now...

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »

Thanks but that's essentially the setup that I have now...

Couldn't tell from your pic if it held one bike or 2.  Sorry about that.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »
You've got your bikes setup as well as they are going to be in an apartment with that vertical rack.

If you don't use them frequently you can loosen the stem and rotate the bars so they don't stick out so far, but that's a pain if you ride them daily.

-- Vik

MacBury

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:38 AM »
I use a Brompton world's best folding bike. Perfect for small apartments I keep mine under my desk at work.

Highly recommend you try one.

http://brompton.com/

markbrynn

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:02 AM »
Depending on the ceiling heights in your apartment you could gain some space by hanging them from the ceiling. In the Netherlands (small apartments) it's common to hang bikes over the stairs (at entrance to apartment). You could also try hanging them above some furniture for extra space savings, though concerns about falling dirt might be an issue.

With a quick web search I found loads of different designs. Some have pulley systems, some you just have to lift up the bike and hook it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:26:30 AM »
In college, I used to put my bike in my empty closet -- didn't have many clothes, even then. I'd face it into the closet, and kick it up onto the back wheel. Then I'd use my u-lock to attach the front wheel to the closet bar to keep it vertical. There would have been plenty of room for a second bike. Maybe there's something useful in that. :)

MacBury

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 07:17:09 AM »
“Our market, they’re not cyclists,” says Will Butler-Adams, Brompton’s managing director. “They’re just people who are pissed off at how they live in a city.” The Brompton, he says, is “a solution to an urban living problem.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-04-03/the-cult-of-brompton-folding-bikes

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
We store our two bikes vertically.  Two U-hooks (similar to these - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-GearTrack-or-GearWall-Vertical-Bike-Hook-GAWEXXVBSH/204284982 - Mr PoP had to cut off part that was meant for a fancy track system) mounted in two adjacent studs in the corner of the garage.  To put the bike away, you kick it up onto its back wheel and then slide the front wheel into the bike's U-hook.  The wheels touch the wall, but we've got our U-hooks high enough so they float completely off the floor. 

They'll stick out from the wall as far as the bikes are tall, so I don't know if that will take up too much of your walkway.  A closet would also probably work with this storage method if you can spare the room.