Author Topic: cheap cell phone plans with tethering?  (Read 5723 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
cheap cell phone plans with tethering?
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
Currently with T-Mobile, parent and I have a phone each paying 40$/mon, not great but not horrible.  Would love to get that lower but some quick googeling says that Republic Wireless is less than happy with users tethering.  Is this true, are there better plans that allow tethering?  I normally use very little data, but every few months I will be on the road traveling and tethering is the easiest/best/fastest way to get online.  I would really rather not use the open wireless at Starbucks to log into Schwab/Amex (in fact I never log into those directly from my phone).  Also my parental unit has an ipad that is frequently used with (I think) At&T data, if that could be combined for savings all the better.  We have no contracts, and own the phones outright.  Any cost cutting suggestions would be appreciated. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: cheap cell phone plans with tethering?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »
Would love to get that lower but some quick googeling says that Republic Wireless is less than happy with users tethering.  Is this true, are there better plans that allow tethering?

First, I'd recommend reading the guide if you haven't already (not sure if you have or not - it's amazing how even some of the old timers have missed the sticky at times).

As to answer your question specifically, tethering with Republic is a colossal no-no. In fact, you'll find tethering with any carrier that offers any sort of "unlimited" data package, the tethering issue is against TOS. The way the industry is rigged, you're not going to find much in the way of tethering options for less than what you're paying right now.

Airvoice technically allows tethering (no forbidding of it), but they also have fixed data allotments and you have to activate the other half of your data after using the first half. It's not that big of a deal because it's only data (OHS NOES! I MAY BE UNPULGGED FROM TEH INTERTRONS FOR UP TOO TWELVETY BILLION HORUS AFTER SENDING SUPPORT AN EMALE!!!!111!1~), but you'll find the occasional complaint about this anyway.

Basically, so long as you can find a provider that does hard capped quantities of data, you can tether. Unfortunately, there's no many options outside of expensive per megabyte PAYGO options or basically "unlimited" talk and text with data plans from Airvoice/Jolt for yourself... and paying $40 or more a month anyway. This said, Red Pocket does do a T-Mobile based data only SIM, with rates starting at $10 for 1GB of data per month. There's also outfits like FreedomPop or NetZero, if you don't mind the datamining and the slippery billing practices... but that also means another device to carry around, and it's the Sprint network.

The cold hard truth is, mobile data is expensive, and the mobile companies want to gouge you out the wazoo to permit you to use that data with anything but your mobile device itself. That's why I just advocate what I do.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply, am reading over guide now!!!  My MMM habits are to mostly read the reply's and then glance over the New Posts since last visit never really looking in the subject specific branches.  Will have to work on breaking that habit :-)

It seemed like if I wanted to tether it would be a diminishing returns proposition from 40$/mon.

Red Pocket might be a great option for a friend, they are paying 180-ish for three phones so the mother can use it to get internet at home just to chat on FB.  My head sort of shook when I hear this setup.

LionInTheHub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
I might be in the minority but, I have a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Data plan and, a couple years ago, I found an app on the Google Play store that let me use my phone as a WiFi hotspot without having to pay for the tethering.  So, I use my phone in my house for WiFi and regularly rack up 10+MB of data per month (I watch live sports on this website I found).  So, I'm not sure if that app exists on the Play Store anymore but, it might be worthwhile to do some searchs and see what you come up with.  The only down side of my situation is that I can't upgrade my phone because I'll lose the old app and my monthly bill is $92.  Of course, I don't have a home internet bill so, I justify the high bill that way. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
I might be in the minority but, I have a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Data plan and, a couple years ago, I found an app on the Google Play store that let me use my phone as a WiFi hotspot without having to pay for the tethering.  So, I use my phone in my house for WiFi and regularly rack up 10+MB of data per month (I watch live sports on this website I found).  So, I'm not sure if that app exists on the Play Store anymore but, it might be worthwhile to do some searchs and see what you come up with.  The only down side of my situation is that I can't upgrade my phone because I'll lose the old app and my monthly bill is $92.  Of course, I don't have a home internet bill so, I justify the high bill that way.

You stream video and only use "10+MB of data per month"?

I am not grandfathered in but with droid & TMobile it is a given feature that I can have a local hotspot subject to throttling after 1gig on my plan.

At 92$/mon you might do better getting traditional home internet, (I pay 62$/mon, am in a non-competitive market) then getting a cheaper cell plain with modest levels of data.  Unless you *need* lots of data away from home and away from free wifi.  You might be in the best spot but could be worth researching for 20min to see what is out there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!