• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap but decent wrapping paper
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »
TJMaxx

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »
I bought a giant roll at a paper warehouse off their discount table 15+ years ago.  It’s wrapped most everything since and still has one or two years left on it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »
Costco usually has really good quality, and the price is good to average. I've had crap luck at Target (you can get rolls hella cheap in their clerance bin sometimes), and mixed results from TJMaxx- I find the rolls are too small to make it worth it. So Costco stays the winner for now.

More than anything though, I've moved to gift bags when possible. More environmentally friendly, and I have lots of chances to "rescue" them for lots of reuse. I got my first big batch for free through Buy Nothing Project.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
I'd second Costco, at least for holiday paper. Not sure if they have plain-old birthday present type patterns, but the quality and price are both good, and it, being Costco, you get 4 giant rolls at once so you're set for a decade.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:36:40 AM »
I mostly buy paper and gift bags at my local ReStore.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 06:12:06 AM »
Dollar store is where my wife buys all of our wrapping paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 06:35:28 AM »
+1 for the Dollar Store. I've also found surprisingly nice holiday decorations there--got a couple pretty, glittery holiday signs for a dollar, and Christmas ornaments to fill in what I needed for my tree for 50 cents each.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 05:15:00 PM »
Brown paper from the local hardware store.  It's meant to cover your floors when you do construction.  I think it was 140ft for $11 including tax.  Tough as nails!  Tie a candy cane on with some twine for that straight-from-Santa's-workshop look.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
Brown paper from the local hardware store.  It's meant to cover your floors when you do construction.  I think it was 140ft for $11 including tax.  Tough as nails!  Tie a candy cane on with some twine for that straight-from-Santa's-workshop look.

Ooooh I really like this idea! Hmmm, this would be super easy to combine with a couple stamps, for different patterns.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »
If your amazon boxes come with brown paper for cushioning, that can be ironed and reused. I mostly use it for patternmaking, but it could be wrapping paper as well.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »
Thrift store.

Added bonus--they often have partial rolls, so you can buy just enough for what you need. I spent $0.23 on wrapping for a baby shower gift, using every bit of it. I didn't have to store a partial roll for ages until the next specialized event. Normally I buy a big roll of plain, one color wrap that works for multiple holidays (red works for xmas, birthdays, valentines day, etc.)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 12:53:18 AM »
I got the loveliest present wrapped in an old dress pattern, with a colourful fabric tie. Just thrift store stuff but it looked a million bucks.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
I do the brown paper as well.  Sometimes I will print out clip art for the paper and glue stick them on.

Another option if you still get a real newspaper, we would wrap gifts using the comics section.  Also for small gifts I have wrapped them with pages from a magazine. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 02:44:15 AM »
Wallpaper.

I regularly find single rolls (end of the pattern run etc) for less than a dollar and it looks amazing. Super strong and will wrap bigger things more easily than sheets of wrapping paper.

If you are super-cheap you could get a bunch of samples for free... It's a step too far for me.

I gave up on holiday-specific paper, but I used to buy it in January for cheap.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
I haven't bought wrapping paper in ages.  For us this is less about being frugal and more about creating less waste.  My friends and I typically pass gift bags back and forth, reusing them until they are too worn out.  At home, we celebrate Christmas, and on Christmas eve, the kids put out some holiday fabric that we got on clearance under the tree for Santa to wrap things in. 

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
comic section of the newspaper (if you get that). Bright and fun!
brown paper from amazon packages
carefully cut open paper grocery bags and tape a few together, and use the plain side
gift bags from the dollar store

And for most of these, if people dont tear the paper to shreds, I try to get the paper back (most of my family are fastidious gift openers), and I definitely fish all of the gift bags (even if it wasn't originally from me) out of the trash pile after big parties and sneak them home with me to re-use. I have a box under my bed with wrapping supplies that I fill back up after parties entirely for free! Most people are happy for me to take stuff off their hands.
I go for holiday-agnostic wrapping that looks nice for any occasion, if a bit plain... but I have also been known to shamelessly use a christmas bag for a July birthday and we all giggle about it good naturedly.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:05:36 PM by Lady SA »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
Usually I don't even bother with "wrapping paper" but if I do, it consists of something unceremoniously tossed in a usually-Amazon cardboard box and probably not even taped shut.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
Old maps make great wrapping paper. I have some old road maps and some flight maps from a friend who took flying lessons.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!