Author Topic: Cheap Audio Books  (Read 1728 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Cheap Audio Books
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
My husband and I have been getting into audio books lately. Only problem is that they're expensive on Amazon, Audible seems like a rip-off, and Overdrive from our library doesn't have a lot of the books we want.

What do you guys do for your audiobooks?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Audio Books
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
Some libraries have multiple services.  Have you checked out all your options?

Some examples to look for:

Hoopla Digital
CloudLibrary

Good luck, ETA! 

P.S. Audible is a rip off :)

sonya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
Eh...it's only a rip off if you pay for it. :)

My friend gave me her pw and I listened to all the mystery/detective novels I could stomach. I did find Gone Girl, though, which is a treasure I've listened to several times. A good narrator with all the appropriate nuances makes a world of difference!

Other than that, I use my library card. The app to play the books is called Libby. My next step is to get my brother to give me his NYC library card number, which will probably quadruple the number of books I can have access to.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »
The app Libby.  Connect your library card then you can borrow any audiobook or ebook in their collection.  Best part - No Late Fees.  It automatically returns them at the end of the lending period. 

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Also, check whether any nearby library systems have reciprocal agreements with yours. I live near three or four different counties, and some of them let me get a library card even though I don't live there. I did have to drive to the actual library once to apply for the card, but then I could access their online collections.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
I love audiobooks and listen to them all the time.
I have three different library cards and check the catalogs of each when I'm looking for a particular book. I use Overdrive, RB Digital and Axis 360 (All library aps). I also use Librivox for classics. And I have an Audible membership that provides one book every other month for $9.95 -- for those books I can't find any other way.

The 585

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
+1 on the library audiobooks. Most are part of a large network of books available. Plus, no monthly fees or limits!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
For those just getting into audiobooks - OverDrive and Libby are the same thing. Libby is the phone app for OverDrive.

One recommendation I got here was to look in to (gasp) paying for another big library. I am on my second year with Brooklyn Public Library for $50 a year. My own local library system has OverDrive but I often find that BPL has more selection and/or shorter wait time for a book I want.

Within OverDrive you can save time by putting books on your "Wish List" the first time you encounter them. Then when you need something to read next time, assuming the book is available, you are all set. The Wish List is separate for each library account you have on OverDrive so you can put it on both for 2 chances to get it when you want it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!